Disc brake conversion.

Ok then....
You can spend as much as you want on disc brakes. Some really great dune buggy units out there, wildwood, Jamar ect.
As light as we are just upgraded drums are fine.
I do like my disc though. I have ac industries kit on mine. Which is just one of the generic plain jane disc kits.

- - - Updated - - -

I think all the generic brake kits are the same, probably made by the same Chinese folks. Empi is most likely the same as as other generic kit.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.socalautoparts.com/produ...sche-pattern-5x130-for-studs-threaded-p-13549

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/industries-disc-brake-kit-rear-non-brake-lug-porsche-pattern-5x130-for-studs-threaded-p-13549

Caveman, Looks good since I saw it last!
There are several online sources for the rear disc kit.
They are typically supplied with or without park brake.
Here are a few in no particular order or preference:
appletreeauto.com
cip1.com
carcraftstore.com
jbugs.com
Good luck & keep the shiny side up!ThumbUp

Thanks Stinger! ThumbUp

That looks like a great kit and it looks complete. Where did you insert the Willwood presure valve?

I installed the residual valve along the single line between the master cylinder and where it "T"s off to the both rear wheels. However, if you do find you need a residual valve and do the disc conversion, DO NOT get a 10 pound valve. Just get a 2 pound. The 10 pound will be way to much pressure against the rear brakes and they will drag.
What a residual valve does is keep a certain amount of pressure between the valve and the rear brakes and 10 pounds is way too much for disc brakes.

Same varga style 2 pin calipers and same rotors as all the rest of the generic kits.
The only difference that I know of in any of the generic kits is the caliper mounts. I was warned about the stamped bracket, so I got the forged bracket.
As long as the stamped bracket is dimensionally correct (alignment) it should be fine on our light weight app.
Check the thickness of the brackets to the removed back plate. Shim or machine as necessary.
Check the caliper alignment for twist. Not sure how to correct this with stamped.
Check the caliper alignment for centered. Shim or machine the spacer rings on the axle.

There are numerous different depth of axle end castings and bearing caps. The generic kit is only made in one of the possibilities out there. Make sure it assembles right. Sometimes it is a straight bolt on, sometimes not.

can someone explain the benefits of having disk brakes on a trike?
I was going to switch over but just could not justify it.
I still have drum brakes but I am using a larger wheel cyl.

I would think the benefits would be more noticeable on something heaver like a car.

I have drums and when I hit my brakes hard they lock up my wheels fine. How would disk brakes improve that?

Hey guys not trying to put anyone down or discourage anyone from doing this I just want to understand why.

Exactly what I said to start with.
A good drums brake is enough at our weight.
Correctly size the hydraulics for a rear single circuit only.
The only real advantage is fade.
Drums can only soak up so much energy before overheating.
Disc can scrub off more energy.
Say.... 100mph panic stop.
Drums are gonna be fading and taking more and more peddle pressure.
Disc won't.

Another possibility that Dave has is the oversize tires will take more to stop, leaving you less for stopping the rest of the mass.

if you want a cheaper upgrade to your rear brakes get some larger wheel cylinders.
I don't remember the exact size but I used front wheel cyls on the back of my trike.
They cost about $10-$15 or so and was easy to do.
Be warned though I had to change the ends of the brake lines. My nuts were not long enough. But even with that I believe the entire cost was still under $50 (that was a few years ago so don't hold me to that price)

Same varga style 2 pin calipers and same rotors as all the rest of the generic kits.
The only difference that I know of in any of the generic kits is the caliper mounts. I was warned about the stamped bracket, so I got the forged bracket.
As long as the stamped bracket is dimensionally correct (alignment) it should be fine on our light weight app.
Check the thickness of the brackets to the removed back plate. Shim or machine as necessary.
Check the caliper alignment for twist. Not sure how to correct this with stamped.
Check the caliper alignment for centered. Shim or machine the spacer rings on the axle.

There are numerous different depth of axle end castings and bearing caps. The generic kit is only made in one of the possibilities out there. Make sure it assembles right. Sometimes it is a straight bolt on, sometimes not.

Actually that kit that I linked to includes shims to align the plate and caliper. That was one of the reasons I ended up getting that specific kit.

However, as stated, there is nothing wrong with keeping the drum brakes.

They worked just fine on the bugs for 40 years.

:laugh:

Yes stinger.
Just gotta know to use them shims and measure where and how much.

I put mine on an early short axle swing.
I bet they come real close to a bolt on swap on a later irs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jersey Mike

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jersey Mike
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png