Avon Av-71 trike tire

Oct 17, 2011
Sterling, VA
I installed the AV-71 trike tire ($145.99) on 1/9/16 and had to replace it for wear on 6/3/16 with only 4778 miles on it. Very disappointing. I went to the Michelin Activ Pilot rear (114.00) from Blue Ridge Powersport in reverse mount and will see how many miles it gets.

I installed the AV-71 trike tire ($145.99) on 1/9/16 and had to replace it for wear on 6/3/16 with only 4778 miles on it. Very disappointing. I went to the Michelin Activ Pilot rear (114.00) from Blue Ridge Powersport in reverse mount and will see how many miles it gets.

That mileage is extremely surprising Nathan! Most of us got even more than that out of the old two wheel radial versions. Makes me wonder what air pressure you are running? Aside from a mechanical issue I can't think of another cause.

I hope you get things worked out quickly. Those tires are expensive.... :xszpv::xszpv:

What about the 15,000 mile warranty that is supposed to come with that tire?

Are you sure it was the Avon Cobra Trike tire? Not being cute. They have two tires with virtually identical descriptions. The tire you had must have "AVON COBRA TRIKE" molded into the sidewall. If it didn't then you had a standard front radial tire and that is about the mileage I would expect out of it.

I ride two-up, heavy, in the Arkansas twisties which have a lot of chip and seal roads which eats tires and I got 9,500 miles out of my first tire.

Are you sure it was the Avon Cobra Trike tire? Not being cute. They have two tires with virtually identical descriptions. The tire you had must have "AVON COBRA TRIKE" molded into the sidewall.

Agreed ..... I've got over 1/3 of his miles and mine shows no wear yet and I don't live so far from him that we ride different roads. Sounds to me like he got a regular AVON front radial for a bike ..... they are built some different and have less tread depth.

022316 Label 1 640w.jpg

022316 It's a Cobra Trike Radial 800w.jpg

I read nothing but good about this Avon Cobra Trike Tire, then I read a negative like this? There must be a some misinformation missing here, makes no sense. I'm on the cusp of buying the Cobra, think I'll hold off a few days, maybe the OP will clarify the problem.

I read nothing but good about this Avon Cobra Trike Tire, then I read a negative like this? There must be a some misinformation missing here, makes no sense. I'm on the cusp of buying the Cobra, think I'll hold off a few days, maybe the OP will clarify the problem.

Oh, come on in the water's fine. hahaha. Right now reports are running about 100:1 in favor. Hey, give it a try. It'll only cost you about $40 bucks to find out. Don't like it then don't buy it again. OR, find someone who has the Cobra Trike tire and test drive theirs.

:D

Right on Gold, I won't let one negative comment deter me, I'm just the curious sort, I like to know 'the rest of the story', but then I may never.

I know there's exceptions to every rule .... :cool: ..... as I've seen a GWRRA vest wearing trike owner from way across the state come to a rally and take his newly converted "likely $35,xxx plus" :)Shrug:) GL1800 Gold Wing Trike and pull burn outs in a parking lot and then do it in a circle with front wheel cranked hard over .... and I doubt that that trike lasted him long..... much less tires, clutches, driveshafts, etc. ;)

But yeah ..... he got his share of attention. :laugh:

Not saying the open poster is that sort .... but if he wore a Cobra Trike Radial out in just 4,778 miles ...:confused:... he is a hard ridin' rider ridin' some really abrasive roadways .... that have lots of twists and turns.

I suspect he had a regular Avon Cobra Bike Radial in the same size as intended for a GL1800 front wheel instead.

I know there was some confusion in this respect on this very board.

There is definitely some issue there. I would venture the regular Avon Cobra that is made for a two wheeler would have even lasted longer than that on the front. I have ran Avons on my last two motorcycles and now on my trike and have always got waaaay more miles than that out of their tires, front or rear. Usually got close 14,000 out of the rear on a two wheeler and 20,000 on the fronts. So far no premature wear issues on the trike either. I use their recommended pressures off their tech page...

http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

I put my Avon Trike tire on before our 3300 trip a couple of weeks ago. Still looks new. Tire pressure is very important. I run 41 lbs in the front. I had the MPA before that and got 23K miles, still had life in it. But I was feeling the road in the bars from it. Not so much with the Avon Trike tire.

Last edited:
I replaced a Dunlop with the Avon AV-71 Trike Tire in May. I just completed a 5,626 mile trip from Colorado to Key West, up the East Coast and back to Colorado along I-70...all in 14 days. I hit major downpours in Florida and Ohio. The temp hit 100 in Missouri and Kansas and for the rest of the trip was easily in the mid-90s. The tire performed great and shows virtually no wear. I would recommend this tire.

I don't see where the OP has verified he actually had the Avon COBRA TRIKE tire. I still think he had the standard Avon front radial.

You're right mh, question posed, not answered, suspect the answer is as you surmise. The mileage the OP posted just doesn't make any sense. I recently got my Cobra Trike tire mounted, I believe I feel some improvement in the handling, holding those 'tough' Florida curves, and maybe a mile or two more per gallon, however, that will require some more riding miles to confirm.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png