Z Pipe Issue On My Freewheeler With Comfort Lift Install.

Mar 5, 2015
Bakersfield California USA
I Installed my Comfort Lift kit today on my Freewheeler it was a breeze to install very easy. But there was an issue with the stock Z pipe on my trike. I repositioned it first, tried rotating it to different positions. I made sure it was on all the way and seated fully forward and it still would hit the swing arm with even a minimum of 15 to 20 lbs of air in the shocks with the trike on the ground.

With the Z pipe seated all the way with no air in the shocks there was just about 3mm to 4mm of clearance between the Z pipe and swing arm with trike on the ground. Then if air was added the swing arm would touch the Z pipe. My Z pipe looked to be bent long from the factory causing this issue with the lift. I just fitted the whole exaust system straight and correct. I then marked the Z pipe and added a small indent for proper clearance of the swing arm with the trike on the ground and air in the shocks. No clearance issues now at all with minimum or maximum air in the rear shocks.

The comfort lift was so easy to install and the trikes steering is much lighter and the ride seems to be a lot sweeter. I am very happy with the lift and the look or stance of the Freewheeler.

On the other hand the Z pipe issue on mine was a big pain in the butt :mad::mad:. Like I said my Z pipe looked to be bent from the factory a little long so even when seated all the way on the header the top of the bend still hit the swing arm no matter how it was rotated.

Some of you guys may want to look and see if your Z pipe is touching your swing arm with the trike on the ground.

Ride Safe All,
:D
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
I too had a problem with the Z pipe. In my case, it was jammed and wouldn't budge. Some WD40 on the pipe fittings got them loose and by slipping the z pipe all the way into the muffler, I managed to remove it completely off the header pipe. This is where most people's jaw drops; I cut an inch off the header pipe and slipped the Z pipe over the header pipe; everything lined up perfectly and with the Z pipe now able to be fwd more than before, it clears the frame.

Removing the cross pipe bolt as instructed did not work for me.

Have fun ya'all!

I too had a problem with the Z pipe. In my case, it was jammed and wouldn't budge. Some WD40 on the pipe fittings got them loose and by slipping the z pipe all the way into the muffler, I managed to remove it completely off the header pipe. This is where most people's jaw drops; I cut an inch off the header pipe and slipped the Z pipe over the header pipe; everything lined up perfectly and with the Z pipe now able to be fwd more than before, it clears the frame.

Removing the cross pipe bolt as instructed did not work for me.

Have fun ya'all!

Ya, it was a pain in the behind for sure. I thought about doing the same thing and almost cut the header pipe down. Then I decided as stated to indent the Z pipe a little instead and all is working well now. I am glad it all worked out for you and glad to know cutting the header pipe worked ok. I was beginning to think I was the only one that had this issue. You were the only one that had any comments or anything to add about the issue. I guess its not that big of deal to or for most out there or they have not noticed. Mine was not so bad you could not have ridden the trike but it would have rubbed for sure and that was not an option.

I do love the Comfort lift though, better steering and ride. ThumbUpThumbUp

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

Ya, it was a pain in the behind for sure. I thought about doing the same thing and almost cut the header pipe down. Then I decided as stated to indent the Z pipe a little instead and all is working well now. I am glad it all worked out for you and glad to know cutting the header pipe worked ok. I was beginning to think I was the only one that had this issue. You were the only one that had any comments or anything to add about the issue. I guess its not that big of deal to or for most out there or they have not noticed. Mine was not so bad you could not have ridden the trike but it would have rubbed for sure and that was not an option.

I do love the Comfort lift though, better steering and ride. ThumbUpThumbUp

Bill G

Bill I too had the Z pipe rub. At first I thought the new brackets were made wrong. But after rereading your post about putting a dent in the pipe it finally came together!! It is still close to the frame (about 1/16 of a inch. If it rubs again I think I'll try cut the 1 in header pipe mod!! I wonder how many are rubbing out there and no one noticed it or thought that's the way it supposed to be.
It does ride better and she's a happy rider!!
Crusty61 Three wheels rule!!!

Did you really need that lift kit???

Hi Screwball
No I really didn't need the kit but it did make a difference for us. Some of the roads we travel are a bit rough and it takes the some of the jar out when you hit them. Is it perfect? No but what is. All I can say it was noticeable for us. Is it worth it? That will be up to each rider.
Crusty61

Yes I did.. And as stated I held off for over a year on this lift because I did not think I needed to change the trikes geometry nor did I think it was necessary . My mufflers were a little low with my wife's weight riding loaded two up so I decided to try the Comfort lift with reservations. I can tell you this straight out, the trike steers better, handles better and rides better hands down period... All a big plus in my book and I am now a believer. I bet you if you tried the comfort lift you would change your mind too, I know I sure did...

Bill G

Bill I too had the Z pipe rub. At first I thought the new brackets were made wrong. But after rereading your post about putting a dent in the pipe it finally came together!! It is still close to the frame (about 1/16 of a inch. If it rubs again I think I'll try cut the 1 in header pipe mod!! I wonder how many are rubbing out there and no one noticed it or thought that's the way it supposed to be.
It does ride better and she's a happy rider!!
Crusty61 Three wheels rule!!!
How did you dent the z-pipe without crushing it?

It's simple when you have the right tools; for the rest of us, try cutting a rounded notch on a 4x4 piece of wood so as to cradle the pipe; next take a steel pipe and place it over the spot you need the dent and WHACK :AGGHH: away with a hammer 'till it looks right... am I wrong? :pepper:

The swing arm had already made a mark on the Z pipe. I just rested the Z pipe on a rubber matt as it was off the trike and I carefully used the rounded end of a Ball Peen Hammer until the indent was correct. (Make sure and hold the Z pipe firm against the ground/and mat with the free had and tap the indent into it slowly and correctly) You cold also use a round piece of pipe laid in the correct spot and tap it with a hammer being careful to maintain the correct spot. The Ball Peen Hammer was simple and affective and did the job. The trick is not to get carried away and take your time. It took about two minutes to do.

Bill G

The swing arm had already made a mark on the Z pipe. I just rested the Z pipe on a rubber matt as it was off the trike and I carefully used the rounded end of a Ball Peen Hammer until the indent was correct. (Make sure and hold the Z pipe firm against the ground/and mat with the free had and tap the indent into it slowly and correctly) You cold also use a round piece of pipe laid in the correct spot and tap it with a hammer being careful to maintain the correct spot. The Ball Peen Hammer was simple and affective and did the job. The trick is not to get carried away and take your time. It took about two minutes to do.

Bill G
I used the Ball Peen fix also!! It took me a little longer than Bill.
Crusty61

Lol... That was two minutes with the Z pipe already off the trike... It for sure took me a little longer to do the hole job

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Bill I hate to tell you this but I had to remove the trunk and take the muffler off to get the Z pipe out. I had no wiggle room to move the Z pipe forward or backwards it was so darn long. It was a long day!!
Crusty61

Bill I hate to tell you this but I had to remove the trunk and take the muffler off to get the Z pipe out. I had no wiggle room to move the Z pipe forward or backwards it was so darn long. It was a long day!!
Crusty61

Crusty61,

I am sure glad I did not have to take the body off mine. It sounds like you had more fun than me at this little project..Lol :laugh: I was able to get the muffler off and then I worked on getting the Z pipe off and trying to fit it correctly, that just turned out to be a no go (indent time). No other choice but to cut the factory header down and I did not want to do that.Then as stated it took about two minutes or so to indent the Z pipe, that was the only easy part of the job for sure. I do have a J&S trike lift though, this makes a big difference on getting the trike up off the ground so a guy can work under it. All this was a big pain in the behind anyway you look at it but I am super happy with the lift.

Bill G

Well screwball, I was after a slightly smoother ride. This lift does exactly that smooths out the top end of a sharp bump. It is very noticeable. I didn't care that it lifted the rear end and changed the steering. Steering was just fine to begin with. But over all the lift effectively dampened big bad bumps.

Also got a tuner to improve idle and exhaust popping on deceleration.

BTW my first trike (Freewheeler) my first Harley, Totally impressed!!!!

I'm curious guys...what is the perceived problem with the Z-pipe contacting the swing arm? Mine has been resting right on it for 10,000 miles without so much as a knock, squeak or anything else.
I can't quite convince myself to go through all the bother of providing some clearance to solve a problem that I don't have.

I'm curious guys...what is the perceived problem with the Z-pipe contacting the swing arm? Mine has been resting right on it for 10,000 miles without so much as a knock, squeak or anything else.
I can't quite convince myself to go through all the bother of providing some clearance to solve a problem that I don't have.

Simple answer, it's not suppose to be touching the swing arm period. It will wear the paint off as the swing arm moves up and down when riding. The movement of the swing arm hitting could also put stress on the exhaust system, again it's not suppose to be touching and it's not right.

If your fine with your Z pipe touching the swing arm and can't convince yourself do anything about it. Leave it that way, it's your trike and your decision.

Bill G

Ran into the same problem, I took the same approach as "funnythebunny" except I only cut off 1/2" of the head pipe and it gave me enough clearance. Comfort Lift was a pretty straight forward install but man those mufflers are a pain in the rear!!!
Red,

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png