Roadsmith Trike conversions

May 15, 2016
Rancho Belago, Ca, USA
Question, Does anybody know if Roadsmith Trike coversions on honda gold wing are legal in the state of California ?

Im getting mixed signals on this. Also there are no dealers in the state of calif. also.

Question, Does anybody know if Roadsmith Trike coversions on honda gold wing are legal in the state of California ?

Im getting mixed signals on this. Also there are no dealers in the state of calif. also.

I can't imagine any reason Roadsmith conversions would not be legal in California.... Your local DMV or vehicle registration is probably the best to ask. There are plenty of states with no Roadsmith installers so I wouldn't let that worry me. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Sure Roadsmith can answer your question. Give them a call. Rode mine in Ca.with no problems.

I did call, they couldn't give me a definite answer either way

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you think that they weren't legal? Interesting concept. What signals are you getting and from whom?

They change the exhaust on them which make them not meet calif strict emissions.
Then I asked the seller who does the conversions, and he said all they do is add a exstention to reach the rear. They use the honda exhaust.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that no exhaust mods are allowed in Cali., being as they are the strictest state in the nation for emissions.
That's also probably why there aren't many/any dealers in the state...

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that no exhaust mods are allowed in Cali., being as they are the strictest state in the nation for emissions.

That's also probably why there aren't many/any dealers in the state...

I know the lawmakers out there are strict but if that were the case there would be no conversion trikes registered in California. Triglides, Freewheelers, and a couple others are factory but not many. Somehow I just can't believe that is the case. :xszpv::xszpv:

I too would find it hard to believe that they are illegal in California. There are too many converted trikes in California to believe they are illegal. Surely RS can answer this question.

Sunman

California side car, and champion are ok in calif.

I will probably go with the Roadsmith anyways. All the company is doing is putting a extension between the catalytic converter and the muffler to give it the extra length needed to reach the rear of the trike. They are not modify the exhaust, they are only extending it.

So I really don't see a problem.

I don't understand Roadsmith telling me that they may not be legal in calif.

If it conforms to California vehicle registration laws it is legal. I wouldn't take a may be illegal or legal answer. Maybe it is just me, but never assume anything and they should be supplying you with accurate information. I, like others have stated, would contact Roadsmith again. I would use the contact information in the Industry section of this forum. This is a best to be sure situation from my perspective. Good Luck in getting a concrete answer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png