DK Customs Discrete Air Cleaner System - 636V

Apr 8, 2013
Redmond
As anyone can see from my signature, I have a pretty well modified Trike Motor and would like to share my experience with installing the DK Custom Products Air Cleaner System - 636V.

My existing A/C was the HD SE Heavy Breather system, I chose this system not only because I thought it would provide the best air flow, but also because it was all chrome and "pretty"!! Recently I had been considering modifying the system to eliminate the oily air vapor from going back into the TB. I had a 2008 Ultra with a 120r crate motor that I modified the backing plate to eliminate the oily air vapor from the TB via a catch can mounted on the left side down tube, and I liked the system a lot. However, when I traded my Ultra in for the Trike I did not take the system with me and thought "what the hell" all the Harley's running around had the crankcase vent to the TB so for 3 yrs I left the OEM system alone. While planning our trip to Cedar City exactly a month ago, I pulled my breather off and observed a fair amount of oil laying in my TB, well that P****d me off and at that point I decided to do something about venting my crankcase breather system to atmosphere.

I spoke with Kevin several times to discuss how we could possibly pull this off and retain my "pretty" HD Heavy Breather system and realized that this would take an extreme effort on my part with some drilling/tapping/plugging of the backing plate so I decided to opt for the DK Customs 636v system with the discrete breather catch can. While discussing with Kevin, he mentioned they had experienced a little better performance out of the 636v system than the HD Heavy Breather. At that point I advised Kevin that I was not looking for any "increase in performance" as the 120 had all that I thought the Trike could handle. I was also skeptical that the 636v would out perform the HD Heavy Breather system.

After receiving and installing the 636v A/C system, I decided to do a couple of Target Tune (TT) Auto Tune (AT) runs to see if there was in fact any difference. What I discovered was with the 636v A/C it changed my VE's to a point that I had some that exceeded the limit of 127.5 so I scaled the first time (as advised by both DJ and Jamie at Fuel Moto) and ran another tune to stack on top of the last one. The next tune brought my VE's very near perfect (for the AT system) and it is running better than it ever has - i.e smoother idle, extremely smooth cruise and on the acceleration it is too hard to say from the butt dyno.

I am thinking that the fact that the motor is now getting clean/cooler air is one factor in running better, but also the 636v system intake elbow is about 3/8" smaller in diameter than the HD Heavy Breather and the increase in velocity my also be a contributing factor. But I am extremely happy with the overall performance of the DK 636v A/C system and would recommend to anyone interested in venting their crankcase breather system to atmosphere that they contact Kevin or Devin at DK Custom Products and discuss the possible systems they have available for your specific application.

Take care, ride safe!!

Roger

Last edited:
I had one years ago that went into a canister and could be drained if needed..Similar to your setup..

My main concern was the carbon build-up and the actual amount of oily air that was traveling back through the TB. However I was relatively surprised with the improved performance (substantiated via the TT/AT) and the smoother running motor!!

Take care, and ride safe!!

Roger

My main concern was the carbon build-up and the actual amount of oily air that was traveling back through the TB. However I was relatively surprised with the improved performance (substantiated via the TT/AT) and the smoother running motor!!

Take care, and ride safe!!

Roger

I know that hot oily air going back to the engine doesn't help for performance..

However You may see more oil now around the area of your pushrods/engine case

Looks good ThumbUp

Do It Right

The First Time!

Outlaw 636v Performance Intake
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Outlaw-HiFlow-636v-Air-Cleaner-Complete-Systems_c125.htm
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Outlaw-HiFlow-636v-Air-Cleaner-Complete-Systems_c125.htm

403a7c6f6d15d901137211466e8f353c.jpg

Tune or no tune

As anyone can see from my signature, I have a pretty well modified Trike Motor and would like to share my experience with installing the DK Custom Products Air Cleaner System - 636V.

My existing A/C was the HD SE Heavy Breather system, I chose this system not only because I thought it would provide the best air flow, but also because it was all chrome and "pretty"!! Recently I had been considering modifying the system to eliminate the oily air vapor from going back into the TB. I had a 2008 Ultra with a 120r crate motor that I modified the backing plate to eliminate the oily air vapor from the TB via a catch can mounted on the left side down tube, and I liked the system a lot. However, when I traded my Ultra in for the Trike I did not take the system with me and thought "what the hell" all the Harley's running around had the crankcase vent to the TB so for 3 yrs I left the OEM system alone. While planning our trip to Cedar City exactly a month ago, I pulled my breather off and observed a fair amount of oil laying in my TB, well that P****d me off and at that point I decided to do something about venting my crankcase breather system to atmosphere.

I spoke with Kevin several times to discuss how we could possibly pull this off and retain my "pretty" HD Heavy Breather system and realized that this would take an extreme effort on my part with some drilling/tapping/plugging of the backing plate so I decided to opt for the DK Customs 636v system with the discrete breather catch can. While discussing with Kevin, he mentioned they had experienced a little better performance out of the 636v system than the HD Heavy Breather. At that point I advised Kevin that I was not looking for any "increase in performance" as the 120 had all that I thought the Trike could handle. I was also skeptical that the 636v would out perform the HD Heavy Breather system.

After receiving and installing the 636v A/C system, I decided to do a couple of Target Tune (TT) Auto Tune (AT) runs to see if there was in fact any difference. What I discovered was with the 636v A/C it changed my VE's to a point that I had some that exceeded the limit of 127.5 so I scaled the first time (as advised by both DJ and Jamie at Fuel Moto) and ran another tune to stack on top of the last one. The next tune brought my VE's very near perfect (for the AT system) and it is running better than it ever has - i.e smoother idle, extremely smooth cruise and on the acceleration it is too hard to say from the butt dyno.

I am thinking that the fact that the motor is now getting clean/cooler air is one factor in running better, but also the 636v system intake elbow is about 3/8" smaller in diameter than the HD Heavy Breather and the increase in velocity my also be a contributing factor. But I am extremely happy with the overall performance of the DK 636v A/C system and would recommend to anyone interested in venting their crankcase breather system to atmosphere that they contact Kevin or Devin at DK Custom Products and discuss the possible systems they have available for your specific application.

Take care, ride safe!!

Roger

DK Customs say that you can add 636v, run stock mufflers and a dyno or “tune” is not required. Would you agree with that?

DK Customs 636V A/C System

DK Customs say that you can add 636v, run stock mufflers and a dyno or “tune” is not required. Would you agree with that?

YYCBOB, I would have to agree with DK Customs on that, however, I have communicated with Kevin several times over the years regarding several Performance issues and ride quality issues regarding our Trikes (Kevin also rides a HD Trike) and he is honest and truthful regarding his recommendations. Actually, no pun intended, but if Kevin said a mouse could pull a house, I would be the first to "hitch him up"!! Good luck with whatever you do and keep DK Customs in mind when/if you need any performance/maintenance/reliability upgrades.

Roger

Not sure which Trike you have/are thinking of getting.

The above is true on the M8 engines. It is a borderline call on the Twin Cam engines.

The Twin Cams run extremely lean bone stock, and we recommend richening them up, even if leaving it stock. You could run the 636v without richening it up at all...but you are going to be in not such a great condition...but that is true with the stock air cleaner also.

On the M8's, it is an entirely different story. They are Not too lean from the factory. You can see a Report HERE on this subject, complete with dyno runs and AFR charts.

Both the Twin Cam and M8 will run better with a tune...and on the Twin Cam it is recommended to at least use an XiED product, even if leaving it stock.

But the M8 it is fine, even with an open air cleaner and exhaust...will it run better with a tune? Yes, but it is not needed to keep it from being so lean that it causes damage.

Kevin

Not sure which Trike you have/are thinking of getting.

The above is true on the M8 engines. It is a borderline call on the Twin Cam engines.

The Twin Cams run extremely lean bone stock, and we recommend richening them up, even if leaving it stock. You could run the 636v without richening it up at all...but you are going to be in not such a great condition...but that is true with the stock air cleaner also.

On the M8's, it is an entirely different story. They are Not too lean from the factory. You can see a Report HERE on this subject, complete with dyno runs and AFR charts.

Both the Twin Cam and M8 will run better with a tune...and on the Twin Cam it is recommended to at least use an XiED product, even if leaving it stock.

But the M8 it is fine, even with an open air cleaner and exhaust...will it run better with a tune? Yes, but it is not needed to keep it from being so lean that it causes damage.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

( I have a 2015 Freewheeler)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png