Reverse not working properly

fastfreddy2015

90+ Posts
Nov 22, 2015
I live in Pasadena, Texas
Ok guys need some info from all you wrench heads out there. The reverse sometimes doesn't want to kick in. Done it a couple times on me. Can hear something working but won't move. Its my understanding it works off the starter. Could it be the starter letting me know its ready to go out ? Like I said doesn't do it all the time. Where would it be a good starting point to check out. I try not to use it to much only when I absolutely need to.

Chances are:

1. The cables need lube

2. Reverse system needs adjustment

3. If reverse light is coming on, give it a couple of seconds before engaging the "start" button. This gives the cables time to move if they're binding any.

Hopefully, someone smarter than me will come along.

P.S. I've also learned mine will normally not engage when cold until engine rpm gets below 1500 rpm.

Chances are:

1. The cables need lube

3. If reverse light is coming on, give it a couple of seconds before engaging the "start" button. This gives the cables time to move if they're binding any.

P.S. I've also learned mine will normally not engage when cold until engine rpm gets below 1500 rpm.

Thank you much I'll start with list you provided me with.

Hey Freddy. Sorry to hear you are having problems.. :xzqxz:

The very first thing I would do is remove the right engine side cover (the one you remove to check oil). Toward the very back of that area you will see what looks like a big spring. Spray the dickens out of that spring with WD40 or spray silicone lube while working the reverse button on and off several times. Do not even try to activate the starter motor until you have done this five or six times. I lube that spring every couple months. Road grime/dust gets in there and keeps things from moving properly. I'll be surprised if that does not fix you issue. :xszpv::xszpv:

The very first thing I would do is remove the right engine side cover (the one you remove to check oil). Toward the very back of that area you will see what looks like a big spring. Spray the dickens out of that spring with WD40 or spray silicone lube while working the reverse button on and off several times. Do not even try to activate the starter motor until you have done this five or six times. I lube that spring every couple months. Road grime/dust gets in there and keeps things from moving properly. I'll be surprised if that does not fix you issue. :xszpv::xszpv:

I'll give it a shot, I always have a can of dw-40 in my garage.

Thanks for info

It looks like its working fine now, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Chances are:

The cables need lube

I sprayed lots of WD40 on big spring like gold rush suggested and seems to be working fine right now, although 4 thou mile checkup is coming up. I'll mention systems to mechanic see what he thinks.

Glad to hear things are back to working... Now that you have the crud flushed out, pick up a can of spray silicone to keep it lubed. WD40 is petroleum based and will attract dirt. Silicone will not. Old RV trick... :xszpv::xszpv:

That's the great thing about this site. So many folks out there with tons of knowledge about almost everything that comes up. Very few questions remain unanswered. We all benefit from the collective knowledge base. Thanks to all of us.

One my 01, not a trike, I had a similar issue last week ... took the hand control brake side apart and clean the switch contacts wit contact cleaner. Works fine now.

Yes I read a tutorial in goldwingdocs. about taking apart and lubricating contacts with CRC cleaner. I will probably take a crack at it later, way later. Its working find right now and its on 08 so it probably needs cleaning also. Thanks for the reminder.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear things are back to working... Now that you have the crud flushed out, pick up a can of spray silicone to keep it lubed. WD40 is petroleum based and will attract dirt. Silicone will not.

Old RV trick... :xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks for that info gold rush, on my way to buy silicone can and have it handy.

While we are on a WD40 thought, my cruise button stays on all the time, if I give it a shot of WD where would be the best place to shoot it? The bottom of the Switch or the top of it? Other than the light burning out, it is no real problem.

While we are on a WD40 thought, my cruise button stays on all the time, if I give it a shot of WD where would be the best place to shoot it? The bottom of the Switch or the top of it? Other than the light burning out, it is no real problem.

If you start with a fresh new can of spray silicone (do not use WD40 it attracts dirt and dust) and just flood the dickens out of that area, you might just get a couple drops where it would do some good. No, I'm not kidding. The actual switch is way back in there and upside down to boot. I guess Honda thought by recessing the switch that far it would be protected. What they didn't anticipate was the grease they use in the switch turning hard so the catch toggle hangs up. :AGGHH: :AGGHH:

My reverse button stuck on my '01 many years ago. I was marooned in the hills of New Mexico until I finally got a couple drops in the correct place. Soon as I got home that handlebar "cluster" came apart and all the switches were cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease.

Took several hours but I never got marooned again....

Funny, my '06 had 120K on the odometer and never had any problem with the switches.

:Shrug: BTW, I never shut my cruise button off.... Don't worry about that light burning out.. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Good Info. Yeah, you are right about not to worry about leaving the Cruise Button on. Better to have it stick on than not being able to use cruise.

Just be careful when you buy a can of silicone spray. Make sure it doesnt have Acetone or a similar chemical that is not plastic friendly in it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png