Motor Trike Level?

Aug 2, 2009
Castle Rock, CO
We took the trike in Friday and my wife followed me to the Honda dealership. She said she noticed that the trike seemed to be leaning to the right. Is this something I can adjust myself when I get the bike back? The dealer does do trike installs but not Motor Trike. Thanks.

I don't know how to level a motor trike kit. But start with the simple stuff. Tire pressures, shock pressure. The shocks are adjustable. If you got the trike used, check that the previous owner didn't mechanically adjust the shocks to different mechanical stops. Is one shock weak or dead?<br />
<br />
I'm no mechanic, but that's where I would start before I started messing with all those adjustments in the kit.

There is no mention of what bike the kit is on. There could be a leaking airbag, the body may even be lower on one side, mechanical shock not set in proper notch.

check it on the even garage floor first before you start twisting things .

tatco be careful. If you find it off and start wrenchen you can screw up a Motor Trike alignment real quick. So do your home work first.

The Motor Trike is on a 2008 Honda GoldWing.

I found the Motor Trike Maintenence Manual and it has a detailed explaination of how to level bike. It includes makeing sure it's on a level surface.

Actually I was driving the trike and my wife was following me in the pick-up. I didn't notice any pull or lean.

So when I get the bike back from the dealer I'll check things out.

:yes: Be VERY careful here my friend! I got my MotorTrike finally set up properly, but it took MANY frustrating hours. Mostly, make an adjustment... go ride. Come back, readjust, go ride... and on and on!!!! All the Hiem-Joints had been fooled with by PO, and brother, it was almost impossible to correct, without taking the body off, and starting from scratch. MotorTrike was not at all helpful during this time, either. I even had one snotty person call me and bitch me out for my many E-Mails and phone messages. So write off any help from Texas!

Anyway, the trike is supposed to lean TOWARDS the LEFT, ON A FLAT SURFACE!!! this is to accomodate the "crown in the road in the SLOW lane". If the trike is dead level on a flat and level slab, then it will lean to the right, if there is a crown in the road for water drainage. (This crown is really noticable in Florida!) If you need any help, I HAVE done this, and I can save you alot of grief! Just drop me a PM, and I'll give you my phone #. Better to talk one on one! Do'nt worry, you can ride a MotorTrike fine, even if it is wacked! Hope this eases your mind. jimsjinx

:yes: The job isn't complicated, it's just that those hiem joints are TIGHT, and have blue loc-tite on em, and there is no room for a decent sized wrench up in there. Also, you can't get any reference measurements without getting the body out of the way. Take care, jimsjinx

I wouldnt do anything till i put it on a level surface. Maybe you could look while its in the shop on a level concrete slab. Maybe she just noticed it while following you. A road has about a 5 degree lean always to the outside for rain and water to run off. Maybe you have a friend with a garage or carport that you could check it on. They will be level!

The Motor Trike is on a 2008 Honda GoldWing.

I found the Motor Trike Maintenence Manual and it has a detailed explaination of how to level bike. It includes makeing sure it's on a level surface.

Actually I was driving the trike and my wife was following me in the pick-up. I didn't notice any pull or lean.

So when I get the bike back from the dealer I'll check things out.

If you downloaded the Maint Manual you will be in good shape...

Put the bike on my level garage floor, bounced it up and down a bit. The measure is 1/4" lower on right side. That's fine with me. Does not seem to hamper the ride or steering. Going to leave it be.

The manual states if ya get her within a 1/4 inch, it's perfect! I think you are making good sense to leave it alone. We figured it up, and we took about 60 hours to correct mine. The PO really did a number on it!:blush: Happy trails! jimsjinx

I gotta tell you guys- I had to take to body off my trike right after installation because of painting. What my wife was first to notice (even before me, which is odd), was, the back frame was not level... one side compared to the other. What I noticed, after closer inspection was that the rear axle was further to one side than it was to the other. This caused the air bag and shock-absorber mechanism to be tilted on one side so that the kit frame was sitting lower on that side. After suspecting more, I ran a couple of chalk lines, measured my angles, etc. What I discovered was that not only did the rear axle sit too far to one side (which I don't believe to be necessarily dangerous), but I also discovered that the rear axle was running untrue... in other words, one wheel was sitting further foreward than the other. This as well isn't necessarily dangerous either, I believe. I then trued up the discepancies I found.

I also might add at this time that I had no luck trying to pry information out of both the installer or the kit manufacturer. I should also say that for a $900 installation fee, I would and do expect a better quality of job done. Whatever I corrected, I did on my own, without benefit of an owner's manual or such...just common sense and a good understanding of machanics and motorcycle repair. I've only a few hundred clicks on the rig since then, but given the proper grade in a corner, it seems to track 100% on. I only tell you my tale so that you can judge for youselves... to check out your installations for accuracy, or not, but don't always assume that it was done right.;) Chumbly-:D

When I took mine in to the shop that installed it for it's 5000 check-up I told Randy of Unique Rides, Inc. in Ft Collins Colorado what I had found. He leveled it, realigned it, and tightned the ladders, thereby eliminating a "bolts in a tin can" noise that I was experiencing. I've put 2k+ miles on since and it runs and tracks like it's on rails. Thanks Randy!

A lot of the problems people have with trikes is the installer.
Some of them do not know what they are doing.
The person who did mine has been doing it for several years.
He does lehman,csc,hannagan,champan,on harleys,hondas,and I think suzukis.
The one thing he told me is he wanted me to ride it for a thousand miles and then bring it back in so he could make sure every thing was all right and there would be no charge for it.
I did as he asked took it in one morning and picked it up the next morning.
I have never had any problems.
This is on a 96 1500 with a 06 lehman kit.
:yes::yes::yes:

Jim truer words were never spoken (or written in this case). The quality of the installers work is the most important part of the conversion, be it a professional or owner built.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png