Utah trip

Nov 23, 2012
Magnolia,Mn
Wife and I are thinking of doing a trip to Utah. The question is when is the best time to go? Not to hot not to cold. We are planning on hauling the trike to Moab and leaving the truck there and taking the trike to the national parks. We want to go though Arches,Canyon
lands,North Rim of the Grand Canyon,Zion,Bryce,and Capitol Reef and then head back to Moab load up head back home. Thanks for your input. randyg

My wife and I are planning pretty much the same trip. We are looking at the first part of September, have not been there before but weather temperatures are 60-80° for Highs an 30-50° for Lows at that time of year. We plan on staying a couple of nights in Moab.

Utah

Utah might be our favorite State. We did all the parks which are great but you can camp in the bush where there's no signs, you pull over on gravel roads where there are tracks and signs people camped there. We Biked there many times bringing a polaris wheeler as well.
We met some 80+ yr old guys who wheel and hike for petro's and ruins, and showed us some secret sites. We drive from Mn 1300 miles to camp with them twice and sometimes bike a few days.I would leave the truck in Blanding, Moab is too spendy. Don't miss the Museum in Blanding, It's Anisasi pottery art and paintings.
5th pic down has ruins in caves , zoom in to see. No signs to get there.
We did the Torrey BMW ride , the scenery is south of town, Escalate staircase, almost the best there..Cedar brakes Ntl. monument near Brian head peak, 11,300 ft. 23 degrees,13% grade 10 miles off the top going north.We flew a Skywagon to Utah for caveman ranch fly-ins and camping.We like a PU camper and trailer for rides. Haven't tried a trike there but one thing you will like is less animals on the roads. The parks are amazing and we might do them again, at least bike through some. there is so much in Utah we are going back every year I think. We did like BIllings Mont. SW to Redlodge and biking Beartooth and Cheif Joseph roads, Its also top on the list to ride again.The trike will be new to us in the mountains.
youtube videos of these rides to check it out.
There are great wx websites, please use them, and know flash floods can happen to you from storms 30+ away.
Happy Day
schmoo-utah rig 2.jpgHPIM0542.JPGDSC03638.JPG

HPIM0555.JPG)-U ruin utah,us.JPGIMG_1541.JPGbike utah.JPGATV utah.JPGutah,Schmoo.JPGIMG_1483.JPG

Last edited:
In May of 2015, I did a trip to Bryce and Zion ... The day I was leaving to come home it snowed and rained/sleeted ... plan accordingly ... September is kind of the same way ... you shouldn't have "inches", but you could. Also, if your planning on seeing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, be aware it's higher than the South Rim and can get way colder and again ... snowy. You'll need cool weather gear for morning and evening and hot weather gear for the day time.

It truly is beautiful country, but you also need to be aware there are places where gas might be an issue, mainly on the little roads. Fill up when you can. Around most of what you are wanting to see, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Some of the little roads have stretches over 100 miles between fill ups. Heck I70 between Green River, Utah and Salina, Utah is 107 miles of absolutely nothing but nature, no gas, no food ... no nada.

The good news ... some traffic and a lot of the area has cell phone coverage ... well maybe not a lot, but at least some of the high spots (Verizon has the best coverage out here). Most of time there is a pretty good police presence also. Not trying to scare ya, just know it is lots of wide open spaces.

Another thing to watch for is flash flooding, especially in September in like Arches, Dead Horse, Canyon Lands. These areas are normally dry, drier, driest ... when it rains, the ground is so hard packed and rocky that the rain just washes over it. Lots of mud slides on the roads. Again ... there are signs that talk about this, just be aware of the weather and were you are.

If you go walking in these places, bring water. There is lots of "hikes" to see things in all these parks. Signage will tell ya how far to the sights. Again, really dry out here, water is a must.

As you ride around the area, imagine doing it in a covered wagon ... now those people were tough. I can't imagine riding along in a covered wagon and coming across the Grand Canyon ... talk about a show stopper.

Enjoy your trip.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png