High-pitched whine in tachometer

Apr 11, 2010
HSV, AR
I've got a 2006 Goldwing trike with about 24,000 miles. I have a high-pitched whine coming from the area of the gauges that I am pretty certain is coming from the tachometer. I start to notice it when the rpm gets to about 1200 and it goes above my range of hearing at about 3,000. It fluctuates with the rpm, not the actual speed of the bike, which is why I think it is in the tachometer.

Is this something that I can cure at home or do I just learn to live with the noise?

Muleskinner: That sounds familiar. Do me a favor and check to see if my wife is by chance caught up in your front forks. I haven't seen or heard her in over a week and I need some laundry done.

I've got a 2006 Goldwing trike with about 24,000 miles. I have a high-pitched whine coming from the area of the gauges that I am pretty certain is coming from the tachometer. I start to notice it when the rpm gets to about 1200 and it goes above my range of hearing at about 3,000. It fluctuates with the rpm, not the actual speed of the bike, which is why I think it is in the tachometer.

Is this something that I can cure at home or do I just learn to live with the noise?

Seriously, sounds that may be alternator whine. I am sure that you will get some better insight to it shortly. There are a lot of people here that know their stuff.

Muleskinner: I don't know if there is a way to check to see if it is the alternator other that pulling the covers off and getting close to it and listening. I have not had to change or rebuild one so I don't know how difficult it is to get off and on.

okay dont anyone laugh at me for this. If you can take the cover off take socket extensions or any kind of medal rod. QUIT LAUGHING!!! put it on alternator with the female end against alternator and put the square end to your ear It acts like a sthescope, yeah yeah i spelled it wrong and you be surprized what you can hear unless its a harley. their to loud to use this trick but it works. I use this several times. I mechanic showed me this in a shop one time

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png