Tri Glide trunk lock

Yup, my 14 door came open once. I quickly learned it takes a bit of a "slam" to shut it and then a tug on the handle to make sure it's shut.<br />

At times the push button is a bit sticky, but no big deal.

I agree my 14 has done it too

This fixed mine.

The first ride I took on my new 16 TGU was for about 100 miles. During this trip my trunk popped open 4 times. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. I tried closing slow and easy, slow and harder, and finally slamming it. When I got home I looked at my 2016 Trike Model Supplement Service Manual and found the process for adjusting it.

IMG_2694.jpg

Well I have tried to post this picture vertical (the way I took it) but something insist on turning it. Anyway, the manual says to adjust the height (2 in pic) to 1.050 inches. I played around with this a bunch of times and ended up at a measured dial indicator reading of 1.125 for mine. Now when I close it I just raise it up, then with my thumbs on the top corner on each side, I just push on both corners firmly and hear it click in. I keep it oiled (not too much) periodically and once or twice a year I squirt a LITTLE liquid graphite in the key hole. My trunk has not come open one time since I did this. I am a firm believer in the DON'T SLAM IT suggestions. Hope this might help some of you.

Well I tried to delete the duplicate pic but couldn't. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• IMG_2694X.jpg
    IMG_2694X.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
One more time...

Hi...first post, thanks for having me. I found out today that my trunk lock broke, but reading through this thread it appears that what’s actually broken is the plastic shield/surround/sleeve that the lock set fits into. I imagine that’s an easier (and less costly! $160 +tax!) fix than replacing the entire lock assembly, but can someone walk me through the nickel tour of how to do it? Once I have the sleeve, and the lock assemble out and inserted into the new sleeve, how do I reinstall and assure that it doesn’t just fall out...which would be par for the course from me. Thanks in advance...

P.S. ‘15 TriGlide

Ed.........Welcome to Trike -Talk.......:wave4:....When you do get it fixed remember do not slam the trunk to close it ...Use just a gentle push, And when it clicks a slight tug to make sure it is in fact locked.....

My 16 trunk lock just pulled out, black plastic ring had broken, I was getting for the Petty Ride, no time to order a new one. If you look in the hole, there is a horizontal strip of metal, press that piece with a screw driver and the latch will open. I bought a rubber cork at Lowe’s that is tapered and plugs the hole perfectly. On the trip, I used the trunk often with no problems, plug stayed in place. I never had locked the trunk, I may just leave it that way!!

My 16 trunk lock just pulled out, black plastic ring had broken, I was getting for the Petty Ride, no time to order a new one. If you look in the hole, there is a horizontal strip of metal, press that piece with a screw driver and the latch will open. I bought a rubber cork at Lowe’s that is tapered and plugs the hole perfectly. On the trip, I used the trunk often with no problems, plug stayed in place. I never had locked the trunk, I may just leave it that way!!

I wasn’t locking the trunk either, until I found it was flopping open while riding UNLESS it were locked. So...

I’m heading in to my local H-D pusher...I mean “dealership”...in the next few days to see if I can get that plastic ring replaced. I know others here have — maybe someone can share what I should expect to pay for such an item.

I never locked the trunk or top box on either of my tri-glides A thief will do more damage moneywise to the locks than whatever you might have inside cost 😱📞

I never locked the trunk or top box on either of my tri-glides A thief will do more damage moneywise to the locks than whatever you might have inside cost 😱📞

I've started doing that also. If on a road trip I leave nothing of value in the tour-pak and only a few odds and ends in the trunk. Let them open and look rather that damage the trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png