New to Trikes...New to Trike Talk

Bought a 2000 Ultra w/ 2008 MotorTrike conversion this spring. Put on a rake kit, corrected a body/chassis alignment problem. Bike handles and runs great...as best I can tell with my limited trike experience.
I do have two concerns and maybe someone can shed a little light on them for me:
1) The engine was done out to 95" with .203 Torquer cams. But the trike has trouble with fifth gear roll-on acceleration at 70mph or higher. My 2001 Ultra at 88" with .510 cams will briskly take me to 90+. (It's a two-wheeler.) Is it normal for a trike to be THAT sluggish. It runs smooth just "no head of steam" above 70mph.
2) The clutch drags making it hard to shift into neutral or reverse. I have filed the drive lugs on the clutch basket (wear was hardly noticeable), replaced the clutch pack, replaced the torque compensator with an after-market unit by Drag Specialties with very little improvement. Problem is worse when hot. I took primary chain slack from 5/8" to 7/8" (cold) and enjoyed a HUGE improvement. Neutral is still a little tricky but doable now.

Oh, I also went to synthetic ATF in the primary prior to loosening the chain.

I think the torque compensator is unhappy with the bigger pistons.
My dealer says I am expecting too much. BTW, I do my own work. So he is not being defensive.
Would love to hear from others sharing my frustrations.

I'll get a photo of my "Dynamic Duo" soon. My Trike and Bike are in essence twins except bike is green and trike is red. Other than that, even the paint schemes are identical...with vivid black insets. The placement of the custom "Live to Ride" chrome candy matches, as well.
And most important.....Howdy, y'all !!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png