New Suspension Option Improves Passenger Ride

California Sidecar

Sponsor - CSC
May 26, 2016
Arrington, Va
http://ride.californiasidecar.com/new-suspension-option-improves-passenger-ride/

What is a Passenger Comfort ARB?

ARB is an acronym for Anti Roll Bar (a.k.a. sway bar). The only function of an ARB is to limit the amount of roll or lean in a 3 (or more) wheeled vehicle when cornering. It does this by mechanically connecting the left and right side wheels together.

For example, when a vehicle goes around a left hand turn the right wheel is pushed up into the chassis due to the chassis trying to lean to the right. The ARB forces the left side wheel to move up as well. Since the weight of the vehicle generally will not let the left side wheel lift into the air, the result is that the left side of the vehicle stays down thus keeping the vehicle more level.

Like most mechanical things there has to be a compromise. In this case it is the stiffness of the ARB or the amount that you want to tie the two wheels together. This stiffness is determined purely by the diameter of the bar if all other variables are equal. The choice is then between flat stable handling vs. passenger comfort.

If taken to the extreme of an infinitely stiff ARB (i.e: swing arm rear suspension like all non IRS trikes) the vehicle will have almost no lean in a corner. Since the wheels are forced to move together at all times, when one wheel encounters a bump in the road both wheels have to react. The bump-force from one wheel has to be transferred through the chassis to the other wheel. This creates a much more drastic chassis event that the rider and passenger both feel. With a trike, the effect is to pitch the trike from one side to the other.

Now consider the opposite scenario, there is no ARB (infinitely soft) and both wheels are allowed to move completely independently of each other. This gives the most comfortable ride since each wheel is allowed to react to bumps in the road completely on its own; thus never affecting any other part of the chassis. This creates a minor chassis event and sometimes is not even noticed by the passengers. The downside to this is that when taking a corner, the trike will lean over to the outside of the corner and the rider will feel like he is out of control. The passenger will feel like they are going to fall off, and the rider will be forced to finish the corner at a much slower pace because the vehicle will be unstable and imprecise.

Knowing this, we understand that the choice of ARB stiffness is always a compromise between a harsher ride with great cornering control vs ride comfort.

Now YOU can decide.

OK--I've Decided.

I've decided I'd like the ability to switch back and forth between a "Sport" mode and a "Comfort" mode on the fly depending on the riding conditions. :D

Welcome to the forum! :laugh:

Can you explain the difference between this new passenger comfort option and what I have for suspension on my 2015 kit? I don't think mine has any type of roll bar--and it handles like an Indy car--it does not pitch or lean AT ALL in corners before the front tire starts to skip. :)

How is this new option different?

http://ride.californiasidecar.com/new-suspension-option-improves-passenger-ride/

What is a Passenger Comfort ARB?

ARB is an acronym for Anti Roll Bar (a.k.a. sway bar). The only function of an ARB is to limit the amount of roll or lean in a 3 (or more) wheeled vehicle when cornering. It does this by mechanically connecting the left and right side wheels together.

For example, when a vehicle goes around a left hand turn the right wheel is pushed up into the chassis due to the chassis trying to lean to the right. The ARB forces the left side wheel to move up as well. Since the weight of the vehicle generally will not let the left side wheel lift into the air, the result is that the left side of the vehicle stays down thus keeping the vehicle more level.

Like most mechanical things there has to be a compromise. In this case it is the stiffness of the ARB or the amount that you want to tie the two wheels together. This stiffness is determined purely by the diameter of the bar if all other variables are equal. The choice is then between flat stable handling vs. passenger comfort.

If taken to the extreme of an infinitely stiff ARB (i.e: swing arm rear suspension like all non IRS trikes) the vehicle will have almost no lean in a corner. Since the wheels are forced to move together at all times, when one wheel encounters a bump in the road both wheels have to react. The bump-force from one wheel has to be transferred through the chassis to the other wheel. This creates a much more drastic chassis event that the rider and passenger both feel. With a trike, the effect is to pitch the trike from one side to the other.

Now consider the opposite scenario, there is no ARB (infinitely soft) and both wheels are allowed to move completely independently of each other. This gives the most comfortable ride since each wheel is allowed to react to bumps in the road completely on its own; thus never affecting any other part of the chassis. This creates a minor chassis event and sometimes is not even noticed by the passengers. The downside to this is that when taking a corner, the trike will lean over to the outside of the corner and the rider will feel like he is out of control. The passenger will feel like they are going to fall off, and the rider will be forced to finish the corner at a much slower pace because the vehicle will be unstable and imprecise.

Knowing this, we understand that the choice of ARB stiffness is always a compromise between a harsher ride with great cornering control vs ride comfort.

Now YOU can decide.

When did you start this ARB ? Is it a option ? I just had a Viper conversion done about a week ago, I wonder if I have this ?
Keith

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png