Motor Trike question

Aug 20, 2016
Albuquerque NM
I bought a really low mileage 2008 Honda with a Motortrike kit. Did really well on a few trips my wife and I took. Then I noticed the right back tire was rubbed really bad. Took it to a local shop here and was told all bolts and nuts etc were loose. They tightened them. Just got back from a trip to As and had a vibration. Noticed my front tire was cupped really bad. What do I need to do now? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks BJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for an expert

Sounds like you need to have it checked out by a professional. Tire cupping can be caused by something as simple as aggressive riding and low air pressure (if you are referring to the front tire).

The low mileage may indicate that the previous owner had suspicions of a problem and decided that maybe you could fix them instead.:AGGHH:

You may have one issue or several.

If your a wrench guy then recheck everything on the front end tire install per manual for proper set up, if they did a rake kit check the torque on all the fork tube bolts ( found mine not to tight after install ). If not a wrench guy then I would take it to a shop for inspection since they found issues on the rear. May just be the tire. Good luck.

Tire cupping

I had cupping issue on rear tires before. I went to using dyna beads. Rode about 50,000 plus miles with them in different tires no cupping. They are easy to install. I buy them lbs. at a time. They work out to less than $10 a tire. If your tire guy is care full you can re use them. mine just put them in when he mounts new tires.

The body was rubbing the tire? Make sure you have enough air in the shocks and you have the correct size tire. I think MT has a chart you can check. Take a look at the heim joints (there is a thread in here about them) and if you have the old style drive shaft, DONT RIDE IT until you get a replacement shaft from MotorTrike. It is absolutely not safe with the old shaft.

The body was rubbing the tire? Make sure you have enough air in the shocks and you have the correct size tire. I think MT has a chart you can check. Take a look at the heim joints (there is a thread in here about them) and if you have the old style drive shaft, DONT RIDE IT until you get a replacement shaft from MotorTrike. It is absolutely not safe with the old shaft.

ya know. 1 experience with the old style drive shaft on a trike going bad does not make them unsafe.

i rode with the old style shaft for 125,000 miles before buying the new replacement. never had to replace either u-joint.

you mighta had a bad experience and i'm not taking that away from you but don't put the fear of god in people because of it.

how many more people over the years rode with the old style shaft. i'd say quite a few.

as far as the tire rub. if it is rubbing the the outside of the fender then i'd say the rear isn't centered properly.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png