Gas out west question

Sep 23, 2015
Sheboygan, WI
Hi All,
Heading to Black Hills & Yellowstone in a couple weeks and wondering about gas availability out there. Here I can get 91 non corn easily so that is what I use most of the time. So what can I expect out there? And can I get gas in Yellowstone park itself (3 night stay there)?
Never been out there, can't wait!
Thanks

High octane gas can be challenging out that way. I believe it has something to do with higher altitude. I don't have any issues running lower octane when out there. Keep an eye on your gas mileage. When I head west of the Mississippi river, I usually strap on an extra gallon. It has saved my ass a couple of times (and other bikers asses also). Of course, I am the king of "Gas Roulette" and sometimes push it further than I should (kids, don't try this at home).

I just rode out that way MT. Rushmore and Yellowstone. Kansas and Nebraska take some octane booster with you, only can get mid grade in those states. Soth Dakota and Wyoming has 91 grade octane, as well as inside Yellowstone. The fill up stations are relatively close. Just grab a map and it will show where they are. If you go down to the Tetons, make sure you have a full tank. I also carried a extra half-gallon with me as well.

Nuc

Last edited:
Just got back from Sturgis. Found a lot of stations selling non corn fed gas. All but one station had all 3 octanes so don't worry about it. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I have been using 87 octane gas in my Harleys from day one and in all my vehicles, including my Vettes (except on race day).
Never ever had a gas related problem.

I'll never buy a vehicle that has to run on premium gas.

Just got back from Sturgis. Found a lot of stations selling non corn fed gas. All but one station had all 3 octanes so don't worry about it. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I have been using 87 octane gas in my Harleys from day one and in all my vehicles, including my Vettes (except on race day).
Never ever had a gas related problem.

I'll never buy a vehicle that has to run on premium gas.

Gary, I am a bit confused which is nothing new:xzqxz: Since the HD 103 is a relatively high compression motor, I guess they recommend high octane to reduce knock issues but also know that there are knock sensors to help adjust for knock on the fly. I guess I am wondering why your 2012 TGU would not suffer from problems running on 87 octane gas?Bob

Listing of Ethanol Free stations in US and Canada. I us this site all the time.
http://www.pure-gas.org/

Hi All,
Heading to Black Hills & Yellowstone in a couple weeks and wondering about gas availability out there. Here I can get 91 non corn easily so that is what I use most of the time. So what can I expect out there? And can I get gas in Yellowstone park itself (3 night stay there)?
Never been out there, can't wait!
Thanks

Around my area it is hard to get 91 octane without the corn crap in it, still have a few around, my main gas station started the corn crap in their premium gas and I called corporate about it, they told me they would have to charge to much, told him that their are quite a few motorcycles that have to run 91 octane plus a few high performance cars that need it to. Basically he said sorry, if we don't sell enough of the corn fed premium they would go back to straight 91, well that was a year ago and still has the corn crap in it, being in Iowa sucks since this is basically a corn state.

So far on my bikes have been using 91 without the corn, but it is hard and I hope my bikes run good with the corn crap in it when they all are like that, even truck stops around here have the corn crap which surprised me.

I do know people that went out west with no problems getting the higher octane, guess you can carry a little bottle of octane booster.

All for now Trampas

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Trampas, I have run 91 & 93 corn gas in mine and it seemed to run fine. My drivetrain is stock except for de-cat. I wouldn't worry about it much. I would suggest non-corn gas, if/when you store the bike over winter, if you can get it. I use Seafoam as well then.

Thanks graygoat, glad to hear it will run on the corn crap, mine is stock, as for winter I have always used the good gas without the corn crap for winter when storing it and I use stabil in mine, so far it has work for me, I know some use stabil and some use sea foam.

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png