Looking For Road Smith Input...

Nov 28, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi All...

Presently looking at making the change to a GW Road Smith and looking for any areas/items that I should check before taking the plunge. The Wing is a US model with just over 16,000 miles and not sure how many on the trike kit. Kit was installed by a dealer in Ontario.

Have been riding a HD Triglide for the past 3 years and although we really enjoy it, we are looking for something a little quieter and with a smoother ride... Had a Wing before going over to the "dark side" and the one thing that concerns me about going back is the riding position. Hard to beat the "feet forward" riding position of the Harley...

Would appreciate any feedback from all you "Roadies" on the forum...

Cheers

Hi All...

Presently looking at making the change to a GW Road Smith and looking for any areas/items that I should check before taking the plunge. The Wing is a US model with just over 16,000 miles and not sure how many on the trike kit. Kit was installed by a dealer in Ontario.

Have been riding a HD Triglide for the past 3 years and although we really enjoy it, we are looking for something a little quieter and with a smoother ride... Had a Wing before going over to the "dark side" and the one thing that concerns me about going back is the riding position. Hard to beat the "feet forward" riding position of the Harley...

Cheers
It is really hard to even match let alone beat Roadsmith trikes. They ride smooth and are very reliable. I would suggest you go to the Roadsmith web site and download the owners and installation manuals for your model. The information it very valuable!

As far as things to check, the driveshaft and u-joints is high on the list. Also pay attention to drive axle CV joints, uneven tire ware, loose steering head bearings, and strange noises from engine/transmission. Don't mean to scare you off. Most likely none will be bad but you should look.

Good lock with the decision ! :xszpv::xszpv:

I looked at many trike kits before buying & the Roadsmith had more positive things than any other kit. Only problem with my trike is, the wife & myself aren't trike people, therefore it is for sale.

Last edited:
The Roadsmith trike is very reliable and trouble free. Buying used I would simply suggest you check that all required maintenance has been performed, i.e., brake & clutch fluid, etc. A low mileage unit probably doesn't need much.

Give the seating position a reasonable time for you to adjust. There are ways to change the rider position. I'm just the opposite from you; the feet forward, cruiser style seating killed my knees and my tail bone. Different strokes and all that. ;)

Last edited:
The Roadsmith is a great Kit IMO. I planned on buying one, however when I test rode the trike it made both myself and the wife feel like we were being "pitched" forward so ended up buying my Hannigan that day. Having said that I was at Wing Ding that same year and talked to the Roadsmith owner himself and he said the forks were out of adjustment a little bit maybe as little as 4mm. A friend of mine has a Roadsmith and it sits level so I can't doubt the Roadsmith owner. Would I buy a Roadsmith? In a heartbeat.

Hi All...

Had a Wing before going over to the "dark side" and the one thing that concerns me about going back is the riding position. Hard to beat the "feet forward" riding position of the Harley...

Cheers

I for one can relate to that!

I spent @ 1500 miles last summer riding a GL1800 with a MotorTrike kit on it. My biggest complaint about them would be the riding position. Very uncomfortable for me. I have an Auto-immune condition that has caused allot of fusion in my spine, SI joints and hips. That is perhaps the reason that the seating position on the 1800 is not for me. The 1200 and 1500 were OK for me.

One other thing I discovered by riding an independent rear trike is that I personally prefer a solid rear. The indy was great on the interstate. Did not feel most of the bumps. But I could not get it to corner as aggressively as I can my FLRT. Body roll was much more intense.

Anyway, test ride as many different GL1800 kits as you can. They all have slightly different personalities. I really like Roadsmith kits.

Insurance Shocker!!!

First of all, thanks to those of you that responded to my request about Road Smith trike conversions...

Now for the killer... I contacted my insurance company that I have my Tri Glide insured with - less than $600 per year for full coverage - and found out that it is very difficult to insure a "modified" bike here in the province of New Brunswick, Canada!! Called over half a dozen companies / brokers and only found 2 that would insure a GW trike, for the nasty sum of $5,000 per year!!:AGGHH:

Needless to say I am still suffering from sticker shock on that one! Anyway, I guess I will be keeping my TG for a while longer...

Thanks again for your input and for letting me vent....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png