Broke down on I 85

Oct 19, 2014
Rochester, NH, USA
900 miles from home and 80 miles to my destination of Greer, SC AND my trike shuts off in the fast lane of I85 in Belmont NC.....

Waiting for AAA To pick up and take to shop in Charlotte. Sure hope it's not something major.

Sorry to hear of your road trouble Dennis.
Hope its a simple, low cost, and quick fix & you can continue your trip without any further interruptions...

Did you lose electrical power? Are you running the original alternator? Fuel delivery?

Electrical was a working. I was cruising about 70 and the lane was ending in a mile so I went to accelerate to move to the right lane and it felt like I had no power so I down shifted but nothing happened. When I got to the 2nd lane the bike shut off and I coasted to the shoulder.
Tried to start it but no luck. An hour later AAA showed up and we loaded it an took to Shop. I explained to the service manager what had happened. He went out to get vin and mileage. He then tried to start it and varoom...started right up...it was almost like it was vapor locked.
I rode it the last 90 miles with zero issues.

I have no idea how I got from lane 1 to the shoulder without getting hit it killed. Someone from above had to be looking out for me....probably mom. Sept 11th will be the 2nd anniversary of her passing.

An hour later AAA showed up and we loaded it an took to Shop. I explained to the service manager what had happened. He went out to get vin and mileage. He then tried to start it and varoom...started right up...it was almost like it was vapor locked.
I rode it the last 90 miles with zero issues.
I had something like that happen to me way back in 1973 with a Pinto, Riding on the NJ Turnpike on the missing mile.. Took about 4 hours to get a tow to a gas station, When i got there it started right up.. Happen a few times again. Long story short, The last time i died on me i happen to open the gas cap and i could hear it sucking in air.
Started right up.. After that i drilled a hole though the cap to vent it .. That solved the problem..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png