Freewheeler passenger backrest and other accessories options

Aug 30, 2016
houston, texas, usa
I have been looking around for a passenger backrest for my wife and am having trouble finding anything other than the HD version. It would work fine, but I'd like to find some other styles too. I'm not finding much aftermarket stuff at all other than performance type accessories. Please post up any other sources/websites you guys and gals are using that carry stuff that will work on the FLRT. Any info will be much appreciated! Especially places that have stuff that I don't even know I need yet... lol

They are a real PITA with the O-rings installed. I removed the O-rings and have not had any issues since.

The Mustang backrests on the other hand are easy in and easy out. For what Mustang gets for the seat and both backrests they should work flawless!

They are a real PITA with the O-rings installed. I removed the O-rings and have not had any issues since.

The Mustang backrests on the other hand are easy in and easy out. For what Mustang gets for the seat and both backrests they should work flawless!

I'm guessing the o-rings are just to keep water out of the trunk? Is there a cover included for when the backrest is not on the bike... or do the Harley rubber plugs originally on the bike fit in there? Sorry for all the questions. :)

The mounts are not recessed into the trunk. The O-rings stop the very slight movement that the backrest has when no one is sitting in the passenger seat.

I'm guessing the o-rings are just to keep water out of the trunk? Is there a cover included for when the backrest is not on the bike... or do the Harley rubber plugs originally on the bike fit in there? Sorry for all the questions. :)

My backrest didn't come with the covers to use when you take the backrest off, but HD has started including them with the chrome backrest. You leave the mounting hardware on and just plug the hole in the center.

Last edited:
I have a Mustang Seat with Rider Rest on my 2015 FLRT. The seat and the rider rest fit and work flawlessly. I can say without question that it is an excellent investment.

I also employ the FLRT's passenger rest and it is definitely a bear to get the sissy bar in and out! Its a two-man job - one to hold the locks in and the other to jerk the bar up and out........:mad::mad::mad:

I have had it to the dealer for this and there is nothing to be done its the HD design of those retaining units. You can as stated above, remove the O-rings, but mine rattles then and I find it a little annoying....

I have also applied grease to them (O-rings) liberally as advised by dealer and that really does do much to help either.

I generally leave it in place as to avoid the hassle.....but, it would be nice to be able to without all the bother involved.......

Springman

I have a Mustang Seat with Rider Rest on my 2015 FLRT. The seat and the rider rest fit and work flawlessly. I can say without question that it is an excellent investment.

I also employ the FLRT's passenger rest and it is definitely a bear to get the sissy bar in and out! Its a two-man job - one to hold the locks in and the other to jerk the bar up and out........:mad::mad::mad:

I have had it to the dealer for this and there is nothing to be done its the HD design of those retaining units. You can as stated above, remove the O-rings, but mine rattles then and I find it a little annoying....

I have also applied grease to them (O-rings) liberally as advised by dealer and that really does do much to help either.

I generally leave it in place as to avoid the hassle.....but, it would be nice to be able to without all the bother involved.......

Springman

I've found that by smoothing the interior of the mounting holes with a scotch-brite pad and applying a thin coating of silicone grease cures the problem. McMaster Carr has abrasion resistant o-rings (5308T125)(size AS016) for $4.16 per hundred that fit perfectly.

I've found that by smoothing the interior of the mounting holes with a scotch-brite pad and applying a thin coating of silicone grease cures the problem. McMaster Carr has abrasion resistant o-rings (5308T125)(size AS016) for $4.16 per hundred that fit perfectly.

OK, I have tried the above...... Sorry, but not much better. Thanks though, I will do some more scotch-briting and maybe over time....

At the least, I got plenty of O-rings now.....:D

Springman

The bar came in for mine yesterday. The wife is in Cleveland for a job interview today, so I haven't had a chance for her to try it out yet. It came with 4 o-rings in the package and a set of plugs. I haven't tried to remove it yet... saving that fun until she gets back. :)

Attachments

• 20160923_103940.jpg
    20160923_103940.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20160923_104022.jpg
    20160923_104022.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 163
My wife took a little ride with me this morning before the thunderboomers chased me off the road. She gave it 2 thumbs up. I have no use for it either unless someone is on with me. I do find that I need some taller bars after sitting a little further forward with a passenger on board. They were on my list anyway along with an extended brake pedal lever.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png