Champion tail lights

I was washing my trike yesterday and found that the bulbs in my tail lights are melting the red lens covers on both tail lights. I have a spot on both lights about the size of a nickel that are almost burned through. :mad: I removed the tail light and found that the bulb is almost touching the lens cover on both. I checked to make sure my brake lights were not stuck "on" but they are working perfectly. Anyone else had this problem?? :confused:

Hi Greydog;

Yeah I had the same problem; ended up changing the lenses for slicker laydown ones and fitting led rear lights. Bit costly ($160 all in) but so well worth the investment. They run cool, look good and don't blow.

That's the answer....you can get both the single or dual circuit led bulbs that just plug into the existing socket. If you catch things before they melt...you won't have to change any lights. I never had the issue anyway as I had stock HD tail/brake lights on each fender with the incandescent bulbs. I am slowly changing all in incandescent bulbs out to led bulbs to reduce the electrical load from a trailer I just added to my toy list.

Champion was getting the lenses from a vendor and yes there was a problem with some of them. I cant speak for them, but they may offer to replace them if you will contact them or your dealer/installer.

I called Champion yesterday and explained the problem. The guy said they had a few other customers with the same problem. He told me to take it to my dealer and have him fill out a warranty claim and they would send me new lens covers. I have to go to my dealer this morning to have the lighted accent panels installed so I'll pick up a couple LED tail/brake lamps while there. My dealer said he had received a few complaints regarding this same issue and even had the same problem with his Champion kit.

I was washing my trike yesterday and found that the bulbs in my tail lights are melting the red lens covers on both tail lights. I have a spot on both lights about the size of a nickel that are almost burned through. :mad: I removed the tail light and found that the bulb is almost touching the lens cover on both. I checked to make sure my brake lights were not stuck "on" but they are working perfectly. Anyone else had this problem?? :confused:

I had the same problem last year. Champion sent 2 new lenses. They are starting to melt again:(
I may look into the LEDs.

My dealer is going to replace my tail light lens' with Tri-Glide lens'. I think that's pretty generous of him as those things sell for 50 bucks a copy!!! Now I have to go back and have him take a look at my rear brakes. The right side is braking sooner/harder than the left....especially when wet. I had them bleed the lines again a couple months ago because the rear brakes felt "mushy" but it didn't seem to have much effect. The trike runs really great....now I just have to get it to stop!!!!

My dealer is going to replace my tail light lens' with Tri-Glide lens'. I think that's pretty generous of him as those things sell for 50 bucks a copy!!! Now I have to go back and have him take a look at my rear brakes. The right side is braking sooner/harder than the left....especially when wet. I had them bleed the lines again a couple months ago because the rear brakes felt "mushy" but it didn't seem to have much effect. The trike runs really great....now I just have to get it to stop!!!!

I strongly suggest going to the LED replacement bulbs for a several reasons. 1) they dont get hot so the lens wont be affected 2) Vibration wont make the filament break since there is no filament 3) they are much brighter and have multiple LEDs in them 4) They are therefore much more visible and thus much SAFER 5) They will last virtually forever

Greydog what kit do you have? I can help you with the brake problem.

I have the Champion kit on a 2008 Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary edition. I understand they use Volkswagen brakes. I did some reading about Volkswagen disc brakes hoping there was some sort of adjustment similar to drum brakes but it appears there isn't?? I would appreciate any help you can give me Zook!!! :yes:

Nope, no adjustment on these. The Champion brakes are usually more than adequate. The first thing I would do is check and add brake fluid and proceed to bleed them....again. There are two bleeders per caliper, one upper and one lower. Use a 7mm wrench on the bleeder valves. Its easier to do with the rear wheels removed, but not 100% necessary, just harder to get to the bleeders. I am sure you probably know how to properly bleed them but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

The next thing I would check is to make sure that there is an aluminum booster valve (about 2" in length and 3/4" in diameter) installed in front of the T block that feeds both of the stainless brake lines to the right and left rear brakes. Your Champion kit may or may not have come with it, depending on when it was produced. You will need to jack up the rear of your trike and look at where the two lines come together at the T fitting. This valve is a fairly recent addition Champion has made to their brake system and is a must have in my book. It helps substantially. If it does not have one I would get one from Champion and install it. Just unscrew the main brake line from the T block, screw the valve into place, then screw the main rear brake line back into the valve. You will need to bleed the brakes after this is done.

The amount of fluid the stock master cylinder is trying to move through this automotive brake system is a real stretch for it and the valve is a big help. It was designed to be used on race cars and stores 3lbs of pressure and is really a mini brake booster...and it really works.

Let me know what you find.
-Zook

Bazooka....would this be the same valve as what is generally called a residual valve or is it some new gadget? They make a residual valve for both drum and disc brakes.

Reason I ask is that I converted my drums to disc some time ago and had to match the brake components up to the stock HD master cylinder size....could not find a larger rear MC that would fit without a major re-engineer of how it's mounted. I wound up using front calipers (radial) off a dead metric bike. They are good calipers and I have good brakes, but if it sets up for a couple of months at a time, I have to pump the brakes a time-or-two to move the fluid back to the calipers. I am thinking this "brake booster" would solve that problem and am just wondering if it's a residual valve....sounds like it.

I had the same problem last year. Champion sent 2 new lenses. They are starting to melt again:(
I may look into the LEDs.

Bryan may I suggest "BRIGHTASSLIGHTS" A little pricey but they are worth it. People don't like riding behind me even in daylight. They work.

Zook, You told me about this valve at Maggie Valley. Is this something to get thru you or do we need to go direct to Champion?

I have the same problem with my tail lights,I have a 2009 streetglide with a champion back,what lenses replacement can I use.are they the same as the HD trike lenses?

I'm not sure what type of lenses I got from Champion? I sold my trike a couple years ago. I like Gorilla's idea. The LED lights are much brighter .

Champion was getting the lenses from a vendor and yes there was a problem with some of them. I cant speak for them, but they may offer to replace them if you will contact them or your dealer/installer.
Zook:
Am i goinng to have this problem with the kit i am getting or have the solved it?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png