Disconnected Airbag

Sep 3, 2010
Lakeville, MN
Took the trike (2007 GW with Champion kit) in for the brake recall and they also disconnected the airbag. Guess there is a recall on for faulty airbags going off randomly (what a shock that would be). Well there is no fix yet (according to the dealer), so Honda recommended disconnecting the airbag until one is identified. Has anyone else had this done to them? Any ideas how long until they get to a fix? This is my wifes trike and the reason I purchased it was because of Airbag as added protection just incase - now we have nothing. Would be interested if anyone out there is in the same boat and if they were given the same story about disconnecting. Can't believe Honda can't find a fix.

Sounds like Honda might have used the dreaded/deadly "Takata" manufactured airbags on GW's too?:AGGHH:
Hopefully you'll never need it, but best of luck in getting a "fix" on it...

If it were me I would forget about the trike's airbag for now and invest in one of the new "air bag" jackets that inflates automatically. Might actually offer more protection in the long run. Hope she never needs either. :AGGHH:

No offense,but, been riding motorcycles for 45 yrs & have never understood the concept of crash protection from an air bag on a motorcycle.
If I take a header off the bike,I'm usually depending on my helmet & riding gear to offer some kind of protection.

If anyone else can einlighten me otherwise,I'd like to know :Shrug:

No offense,but, been riding motorcycles for 45 yrs & have never understood the concept of crash protection from an air bag on a motorcycle.
If I take a header off the bike,I'm usually depending on my helmet & riding gear to offer some kind of protection.

If anyone else can einlighten me otherwise,I'd like to know :Shrug:

:Agree:
I would think an air bag would work only if your seat belted in...
And then that opens up a whole other can of worms...:D

A frontal head-on crash under 3mph or so, would be about the only scenario an airbag MIGHT help.
My thoughts are that there are too many variables in a bike crash to rely on an airbag to save my life:Shrug:
It was likely a sales point for Honda in trying to make their flagship model, a model of safety.

If it were my ride, I'd not worry about riding it with airbag disabled but since its a recall, I'd keep pressure on the dealer to get it fixed...

Actually the airbag does greatly increase the chance of survival in a frontal impact accident. It inflates up and out in front of the driver providing air pillow type protection (softer impact and slowing the velocity). Remember its not the speed that kills you, its the sudden stop. Look at the following video and you will see it's value. Now I just need to keep on Honda to find a fix for recall.
Video

If it were me I would forget about the trike's airbag for now and invest in one of the new "air bag" jackets that inflates automatically. Might actually offer more protection in the long run. Hope she never needs either. :AGGHH:

I am a motorcycle road race fan and Ive seen riders take horrendous spills and come out unscathed. I didn't know that technology was available in street wear.

Well there is no fix yet (according to the dealer), so Honda recommended disconnecting the airbag until one is identified. Has anyone else had this done to them? Any ideas how long until they get to a fix? This is my wifes trike and the reason I purchased it was because of Airbag as added protection just incase - now we have nothing.

Personally I would say you bought something that "THEY" (Honda) decided is defective,

so shouldn't you get your original air bag purchase price back?????? :Shrug:

Sounds like Honda might have used the dreaded/deadly "Takata" manufactured airbags on GW's too?:AGGHH:

Hopefully you'll never need it, but best of luck in getting a "fix" on it...

That's exactly what it is & why they don't have a "fix" yet. I get recall letters for my truck about once a month saying I need to take it in, but there isn't an actual "fix" yet & dang sure not gonna have it sit at a dealership waiting.. Here is a link about it from Honda. Can't fault Honda too much for disabling it given all that this stupid AB recall affects.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/statement...bag-inflators/

That's exactly what it is & why they don't have a "fix" yet. I get recall letters for my truck about once a month saying I need to take it in, but there isn't an actual "fix" yet & dang sure not gonna have it sit at a dealership waiting.. Here is a link about it from Honda. Can't fault Honda too much for disabling it given all that this stupid AB recall affects.

Your truck wouldn't be a Ram' Would it...?

I bought a new 2014 Ram and not long after i got a recall on the radio.

Seeing it was working fine i ignored it. A year later i get 3 more recalls on the steering wheel airbag side airbags and one other on some sensor that controls the air bag...I sat on them for a while and every few weeks they sent me reminders on all of them. So i call them for an appointment wait two weeks to bring it in... Call them the next day and they say its done ''But'' one recall can't be done yet.. The steering wheel one.. Bring the truck back in when we get the parts...

And they probably won't be in for at least two months....

:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png