Trike Crash on 129 below Deals Gap Today

skuuter

10000+ Posts
Apr 23, 2010
Estill Springs, Tn, USA
I definetly hope it isn't a Member here, but two of my Buddies that live at The Dragon (almost literally) have called me reporting that a Trike crashed into the rock wall at the sharp curve after "Fugitive" Dam below the Gap Store, almost in front of the Tapoco Lodge today. No definite word yet on injury severity, but said it didn't look good by any means.....:(:(:(

We had a friend of ours crash her GW trike into a rock wall a few years ago.
Her husband was leading on his 2 wheeler GW when they rounded a curve and she hit some gravel which spun her around hitting the wall backwards.
Spent 2 months in local hospital with back and other injuries.
Air transport home after that for 3 month bed rest.
Was one lucky lady to be alive.

We had a friend of ours crash her GW trike into a rock wall a few years ago.
Her husband was leading on his 2 wheeler GW when they rounded a curve and she hit some gravel which spun her around hitting the wall backwards.
Spent 2 months in local hospital with back and other injuries.
Air transport home after that for 3 month bed rest.
Was one lucky lady to be alive.

Yeah, I always hate these stories...."sobbering" though....:(

I saw this news story..... I assume this is the report of the accident you are referring to:

Two die on Dragon

Yep.....that's it.....:(......WAAAAAAY too many deaths this year on The Dragon, and The Cherohala Skyway......gettin' to be really "iffy" lately about goin' there.....several head-ons with Bikes this year with deaths and severe injuries.....:(:(:(

Man, I'm really saddened at this news. The picture in the article should give us all pause for reflection. I know I ride too fast most of the time, and seeing and reading about this crash brings tears to my eyes. RIP. our thoughts and prayers are with the families.

UB

I learned about not braking to hard in corners on my first run to laughlin on this trike. I didn't have the easy steer yet. i was going down hill into a curve a little fast the trike didn't want to turn. so i braked like i would have on a bike. The trike started to tip. i straightened out and braked hard. I barely made the turn. I ride slower now in corners.

It is very sobering. It happens very fast

I still, for the life of me, don't see the allure of going to a road with a ton of people, mostly all driving too fast, just to say I rode it ... there are plenty of other roads in the area with a lot less people and a lot less pressure to go "faster" coming up behind you and towards you.

Terrible stories ... the Dragon is full of them.

That is a terrible thing that happened and I am so sorry for the family.

I have no desire to ride the dragon, mainly because of all the other traffic. Anytime people are pulling trailers over very twisty roads, there is the big chance a portion of the vehicle will cross the center line. I know the article said it was speed, as it probably was, but target fixation could have been a culprit too....just saying....

I am confused though, as the article says 2007. Maybe it is not the same story.

Speed was a factor in the accident
Well, according to some of my LEO friends, speed is always a factor in every accident. No exceptions.
So is weather, time of day, condition of vehicle, etc.

Now sometime excessive speed is a factor.
And sometimes the speed was excessive only because of road conditions (shale/gravel), or rider skill level.
I didn't see that anyone was cited for excessive speed or careless driving, although I may have missed that.

Be careful, know the limitiation of your machine and skill level.
Did I mention 'be careful'?

REMEMBER THIS AT ALL TIMES "never ride FASTER than your guardian angel can FLY" . We all sometimes forget and get ourselves in trouble....ride safely and be careful..

Anyone remember that last year the exact same thing happened on the Dragon. A trike hit a boat. Thats a bad combination because its very easy for both vehicles to stray over the line on such a tight, twisty road as this.