Air shock leak?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
May 23, 2010
Southwest Florida
My air shocks have a slow leak. I was wondering how much pressure I can put in them for troubleshooting? They are supposed to be set for 35 lbs 2 up. Unless someone has a better idea, I was going to pump them up as high as possible, and paint the connectors with soapy water.

Have no experience in this area. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

My air shocks have a slow leak. I was wondering how much pressure I can put in them for troubleshooting? They are supposed to be set for 35 lbs 2 up. Unless someone has a better idea, I was going to pump them up as high as possible, and paint the connectors with soapy water.

Have no experience in this area. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Do you have an on board compressor with a dash gauge? If you do most of these systems leak. They leak around the fittings at the end of the hose.

Pump up the system as much as you safely can (90 lbs for me) and let it sit over night. It should hold and give the fittings a chance to reseal. They will loosen up again and again unless you want to go through your entire system and change all the connections.

Steve

Do you have an on board compressor with a dash gauge? If you do most of these systems leak. They leak around the fittings at the end of the hose.

Pump up the system as much as you safely can (90 lbs for me) and let it sit over night. It should hold and give the fittings a chance to reseal. They will loosen up again and again unless you want to go through your entire system and change all the connections.

I have just a fitting under my side cover.

You mean do nothing except pump them high over night? Well, that's easy enough. I just don't know how high I can safely go. These came with the motor trike kit. All they say is 20 lbs for single, and 35 for two up. I have no idea at what point I'll start damaging things.

Maybe I'll see if I can read the brand in the morning and do some googling.

Pump up to 90lbs overnight. Wiz is right, it wont hurt a thing and may help seat the seal on the fittings. If that doesnt work, its back to a spray bottle of soapy water and eyeballing all the fittings, lines, and air bags.

Thanks guys. It's a little too late to fire up a noisy compressor out there now. I guess I'll do it tomorrow....er, later today.

Works wonders for anything running low air pressure...really works for the rear tires we usually run lower than 30psi.

If you have a problem with your compressor.....call Wizard. Dave always has an abundance of air....if you like it HOT.

Mornin' Dave!

Works wonders for anything running low air pressure...really works for the rear tires we usually run lower than 30psi.

If you have a problem with your compressor.....call Wizard. Dave always has an abundance of air....if you like it HOT.

Mornin' Dave!

'morning VT

Was a pure scorcher yesterday and another today... gett'n toasty in here two... Is Momma treating you OK?

It's actually been a little bit cooler down my way the past few days....if you want to call the mid-90's cooler.

Mama is just hanging around waiting to collect the life insurance and all my assets. I made a mistake of letting her have a copy of the will and telling here where all my stuff is. I have to keep her around so she can feed me my pills when I get too old to figure out my daily intake of what color and when to take them.

Get one of the boxes at the pharmacy and put the pills in the little holders mon, tues , wed, thurs fri GRIN

Doesnt hurt to repeat that occasionally Steve...not every week but say every few months. Also be aware that extreme temperatures will definitely affect the air pressure.

If it keeps going take the fitting lose from the shock. There is a little oring sealin there on both shocks. I got them from advance auto. there is also a inline fitting that should be under your seat that has orings also then it goes to a tee fitting that splits the line to both shocks. I also took a syringe and shot a little just a little fluid in there. They are air shocks but require a certain amount of fluid in them. It keeps the seals soft

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png