69200826 Tour Pack Power Port not covered under warranty .............

MikeyTX

Dead animals deserve balloons...
May 9, 2016
Big Bend Country, TX
69200826 Tour Pack Power Port not covered under warranty .............

The week after I bought the Tri Glide in May, so that I could charge my cell phone while traveling, I bought the 12v power port that comes standard on the Limited and Limited Low. The electrical harness is in place on the right side of the tour pack. 2 bolt mounting, simple plug and play. The instructions packed in the box are very straight forward. Takes about .5 hr including trimming the liner. As such, I declined having the dealer install it. Part is $50, labor .......... $75. :gah:Evidently, because it is considered an electrical item and, I did the install, it is not covered against defects in workmanship. Go figure ..............

So, now that the tension cap has popped off, the usb charger will not stay seated in the receptacle.

I have to wedge it in place with a toothpick.

Sucks

Call The MoCo and Complain

The week after I bought the Tri Glide in May, so that I could charge my cell phone while traveling, I bought the 12v power port that comes standard on the Limited and Limited Low. The electrical harness is in place on the right side of the tour pack. 2 bolt mounting, simple plug and play. The instructions packed in the box are very straight forward. Takes about .5 hr including trimming the liner. As such, I declined having the dealer install it. Sucks

Call the MoCo and complain. I've done that with two aftermarket parts that failed and the nice lady I talked to had the part shipped to me at no cost. They'd rather ship it to you than argue with you, especially when the part lists for $50 or less.

The week after I bought the Tri Glide in May, so that I could charge my cell phone while traveling, I bought the 12v power port that comes standard on the Limited and Limited Low.

The electrical harness is in place on the right side of the tour pack.

2 bolt mounting, simple plug and play.

The instructions packed in the box are very straight forward. Takes about .5 hr including trimming the liner. As such, I declined having the dealer install it. Part is $50, labor .......... $75. :gah:Evidently, because it is considered an electrical item and, I did the install, it is not covered against defects in workmanship. Go figure ..............

So, now that the tension cap has popped off, the usb charger will not stay seated in the receptacle.

I have to wedge it in place with a toothpick. Sucks

Be aware that I am on my 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Harley.

I have always been aware that they do not make the best bikes, but they do make the coolest. But it seems that HD is trying to shoot themselves in the foot lately. As the competition is now making some really nice bikes, and are also taking a very active stance to Customer service and satisfaction, HD continues to make bull**** moves like this.

An item that probably cost them 5 bucks, and as the install the second time would take 5 minutes, it’s an incredible stance to take. We hear things like this daily now and it’s getting clear to me why Indian and Victory are now moving more units than HD.

Such foolish behavior…..in my opinion…jc

Gotta agree. Dealer isn't the issue here. It is the MoCo. They are the ones that laid down the ground rules. Not a big deal. I've most likely bought my last one. Re placement parts for my trike will be available for a long time. Their loss, not mine.

- - - Updated - - -

If Indian starts making their own trike, Harley-Davidson will have some stiff competition.

best bikes

what do you mean they don't make the best bikes. Have you seen many other 50 years or older bikes on the road? Not likely, and if you think they are not good why do you ride them? The bike doesn't make you cool

what do you mean they don't make the best bikes. Have you seen many other 50 years or older bikes on the road? Not likely, and if you think they are not good why do you ride them? The bike doesn't make you cool

LOL – Lighten up….Not trying to pee on your parade, and don’t think anyone else on the forum took it that way either. And no, not a bunch of anyone’s bikes from the 50’s and 60’s are used much anymore. And sorry to say, I don’t think I’m any cooler riding a HD than I think you are any cooler by getting your back up by thinking I said that. I did say they make a cool bike, and have always thought that way. But I think that anyone that doesn’t recognize the Honda Trike and the aftermarket Harley Trike conversions is kidding themselves. Not sure where how you got I thought I was cool for riding a HD.....I just happen to be cool because of how I am.....so fight this battle some other place with someone else...

cool

I am sorry but I must have come across the wrong way. I certainly didn't mean for you to think that I thought you thought you were cool because you drove a Harley, I stated that driving a Harley didn't make you cool not referring to you in any way. You did state though that Harley didn't make the best bikes and I myself think they do

Yeah Victory is selling sooo many bikes.... Must be why they have $2500 off sale. lolol. & lets see, while touring this summer (13,500 miles ) I saw 3 Indians. 2 were in the showroom

Yeah Victory is selling sooo many bikes.... Must be why they have $2500 off sale. lolol. & lets see, while touring this summer (13,500 miles ) I saw 3 Indians. 2 were in the showroom
I beat that .........:D One ! On three trips to the west coast from the D/Fw, TX area. Rode Yellowstone, Bear Tooth, national parks in UT, US 50 across NV and UT in both directions. Tioga Pass in Yosemite along with Death Valley and the Pacific Coast Highway. Saw just about every kind of scooter or m c made except a Victory. There was a used Indian at one of the H-D dealers I stopped at to get my oil changed.

I purchase HD BOOM! Power Amplifier from Broadtrackerharleyonline.com . I installed it myself and had the dealer flash the HU. Three month later the amplifier stopped working. Spoke with the dealer and they told me I need to call the MOCO. Both dealer and MOCO would not warranty the HD BOOM! amplifier. I now only purchase aftermarket Harley parts.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/harley-davidson/tour-pak-mount-auxiliary-power-port-69200826
Warranty - 1 year limited warranty
Not sure I understand the circumstances under which warranty is being denied.
Is the part more than 1 year old? Don't think so.
Having said that, does the instructions you have explain what the "limits" are on the limited warranty.
Is there any information that states if the item is not installed by a dealer, the warranty is voided?
Reason I ask is a few years ago, I installed heated grips on my Ultra. Used approx. 6 times, then spring came. The next fall when I turned them on, no work. Found left grip full of water.
Dealer replaced them, even though they were out of warranty. Don't know who covered the cost, the MoCo or the dealer!

Hmmm......

I purchased the lighted key switches earlier this year and installed them myself.

Then one of the keys stopped lighting up (high beams) about 5 months later.

I took the bike in and showed the receipt to my dealer (I purchased the switches from Harley in Las Vegas via the mail) and he did the warranty replacement right there on the spot. I had to pay for the labor; but the MoCo covered the cost of a new set of lighted key switches.

What good is a one year warranty if it only covers dealer-installed parts?

You need to find a different dealer.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/harley-davidson/tour-pak-mount-auxiliary-power-port-69200826
Having said that, does the instructions you have explain what the "limits" are on the limited warranty.
Is there any information that states if the item is not installed by a dealer, the warranty is voided?
Reason I ask is a few years ago, I installed heated grips on my Ultra. Used approx. 6 times, then spring came. The next fall when I turned them on, no work. Found left grip full of water.
Dealer replaced them, even though they were out of warranty. Don't know who covered the cost, the MoCo or the dealer!

Dealer I bought the trike from is the issue. They claim it is not covered because it is an electrical item. Needless to say, they will never sell me another scoot.

Dealer I bought the trike from is the issue. They claim it is not covered because it is an electrical item. Needless to say, they will never sell me another scoot.

Take it to a different dealer. One who wants to try to earn your business. Quite often the ones that sell us our bikes forget that they earn the most off us in service dollars.

Hmmm......

I purchased the lighted key switches earlier this year and installed them myself.

Then one of the keys stopped lighting up (high beams) about 5 months later.

I took the bike in and showed the receipt to my dealer (I purchased the switches from Harley in Las Vegas via the mail) and he did the warranty replacement right there on the spot. I had to pay for the labor; but the MoCo covered the cost of a new set of lighted key switches.

What good is a one year warranty if it only covers dealer-installed parts?

You need to find a different dealer.
Fixing to happen ......... :D

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....-port-69200826

As others advise, different dealer may be the answer. However, if you have the receipt and the instruction sheet, I would talk with the owner of the dealership the part came from asking for an explanation of why the warranty is not being honored:Shrug:

On this page: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...homerun_portal you can find a PFD

that explains the warranty on parts & accessories, including "electrical" items. In part the following is stated:

All Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories will qualify for the one-year over-the-counter warranty, with the following exceptions;

• Tires

• Chemicals

• Premium Luggage (two years)

• Audio and Navigation (see Radio/Electronic Warranty Matrix on h-dnet.com)

• Non-street legal components (including Screamin’ Eagle Pro)

• Anything with a manufacturer/factory warranty

• Other disposable and consumable items

Part came from Boardtracker. Not their problem nor would I bother Anthony with it. The problem is down here in TX with a local dealer. I will work around it one way or another. That dealer will not ever sell me another m/c again nor, do any work on my current m/c.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png