Trunk Lock ?

Jun 18, 2015
West Michigan
Have a strange problem with the trunk lock on my 14' TG. When not locked, the door stays closed when riding down the road but when locked, it tends to pop open. :xzqxz: This has happened twice now, I was notified by a passing motorist the first time but the second time I didn't know it til I stopped. Anyone have this problem or have any ideas on why this would happen? I've treated the lock with a lubricant and it doesn't seem to be sticking. :confused:

Want you to try something. Gently shut your trunk until you hear 1 snap and then push a little harder 'til you hear a second snap. Then lock the trunk.

See if that cures your issue.

8~\o

I would do as Texan said but another thing, don't slam it, have seen more broken latches because of this, it is just a plastic ring of some sort.

All for now Trampas

I had that happen a few times when i first got my 2011, What i found that the the spade-pin on the door was not letting the locking mechanism fully seat into the groove [bearing] in the pin [Dropping in like a Guillotine] and letting it slip off... 5+ years now and it hasn't popped open ....If the pin is out to far it will hit the stop and push out a little and then not allow the lock to fully seat in groove [bearing].....Without locking' The guillotine will stay spring loaded and with body movement fall into the groove... When Locked it will if not adjusted pop open when the trike hits a sharp bump....

The latching pin (with groove for retaining disc to lock into) may need adjusting in/out.

I regularly lube my button with Tri-Flow gun oil. I also gently push until I hear a click. The click is the locking disc sliding into the locking groove. 1/16" of metal to metal contact is all that holds it shut.

If you are worried about it coming open .... get a small bungee cord and wrap it several time around the door support cables while closing. The bungee around the support cables will keep it from coming COMPLETELY open.

2014 with 26K miles and no trunk lock issues ..... "touch wood LOL".

Bob :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png