SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's

Dang Kevin ... that is why you don'y need me there ... I would of never thought of a threaded bung ... although, I'm pretty good at sitting in the folding rocking camp chair with a glass of Iced Tea or Soda ... ya know, Stupervising. :D

I have to admit, you guys are doing it right. Don't let the ants in your ants get you in trouble ... been there, done that.

Next up was to drill the full size hole for the bung...

Full%20hole.jpg

Threaded bung sitting in hole we just made.

Bung%20in.jpg

Perfect! Next time the welder is over we'll get that bung welded in, along with a spring stop for the tensioner, and that is put to bed.

Tensioner%20in%20place.jpg

Time to put the fender back on...

Fender%20back%20on.jpg

...then the tire, caliper and chain back on.

Tire%20back%20on.jpg

Next item on the agenda is the exhaust.

I've had the same idea for a couple of years on what I want it to be. But two things come into play-

1. I can't do exactly what I want because of the rear brake master cylinder. I looked at moving the M/C up front, but did not like that look at all.

I also looked at using a different M/C, but did not want to go that way either.

I even looked at doing away with the foot brake and using a proportioning valve for the handbrake (front and rear), but that is not something I want to do.

2. I've found it is always good to look at things with fresh eyes, not being married to an idea of the past, so today we will entertain every possibility.

Playing with the stock headers...

Exhaust%201.jpg

...one of the first things we discuss is whether to go 2 into 1 or true duals. There is more power to be had with 2 into 1, but this bike is not about making power.

Going with true duals will give a better sound at an idle, something I really like on a carbed bike...

Exhaust%202.jpg

...but a clean 2 into 1 will go with the minimalist look that is the overall theme of this bike. Something like this-

Exhaust%20Idea%201.jpg

More in next post.

Kevin

I really like the look of one pipe running along the swingarm...

Exhaust%20Idea%202.jpg

...it follows the existing line of the bike, and almost disappears along the frame rail.

Exhaust%203.jpg

But the ideal spot for the 2 into 1 is right where my MC is sitting. Here we're looking at two pipes running along the swingarm.

exhaust%204.jpg

Putting the carb on, then looking at bringing the rear header forward, under the carb, and joining up with the front header...

exhaust%205.jpg

...nope, that idea is not clean, nor great to have the heat right under the intake.

We look at running the rear header out to the left side of the bike. That is how the True Duals on my Softail run.

exhaust%206.jpg

What we decided on what getting some new headers to work with. That way we don't need to delete the crossover pipe on the stockers, which will be a pain to get the patch totally smooth.

Then we will run the rear pipe all the way back, along the swingarm, ending a bit past the axle.

On the rear pipe, right behind the M/C, we will put in a 2-1 collector, pointing forward. The front header will marry into that collector, under and inboard of the M/C for the least visible junction of the two.

exhaust%207.jpg

That's it for now. Next week is another short week. Hopefully we will get some more done on her.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png