Dreaded CSC Driveshaft Failure

What are the symptoms? I have an 08 1800 with Cobra kit installed fall of 2011 and have developed a whining noise. Wondered if the whining noise could be from Avon front tire. The whining began shortly after installing Avon tire and has continued to get louder. The tire now has about 3k.
Any input would be appreciated.

What are the symptoms? I have an 08 1800 with Cobra kit installed fall of 2011 and have developed a whining noise. Wondered if the whining noise could be from Avon front tire. The whining began shortly after installing Avon tire and has continued to get louder. The tire now has about 3k.
Any input would be appreciated.
You can't tell from which end the noise is coming?

I have the Avon Cobra TRIKE front radial on our trike, NO NOISE.

Can't comment on noises from the added gear box, just a bad idea from the sounds of it.

You can't tell from which end the noise is coming?

I have the Avon Cobra TRIKE front radial on our trike, NO NOISE.

Can't comment on noises from the added gear box, just a bad idea from the sounds of it.
I have some loss of hearing and have a difficulty at times as to where noise is coming from but believe it is coming from the front. I spoke with Shawn at CSC, he said to disengage the clutch at highway speed and if the noise was still there it was more than likely tire noise, but if noise did not exist with clutch disengaged it is more than likely drive train issue. I rode over 200 miles today and each time I disengaged the clutch the noise was still there, so I am assuming the noise is coming from the tire. I suppose it could be a rear tire?

We bought a 2010 1800 goldwing this past year with California Side Car trike kit on it. Don't know when it was installed. Have around 11,000 miles on it now. Noticed every once in awhile when coming to a complete stop and using the foot brake it will make kind of a clunking sound but not a deep sounding clunk. Does this once and is fine. Might do it on next stop and might not. Should state that it makes the sound after coming to a complete stop and when just starting to take off from a complete stop.

Any ideas?
Didn't do this before Honda Brake Recall. But they looked it over and said everything looks fine and runs like it should. Won't make the clunk all the time is the weird part. Of course won't do it at dealers either!

Last edited:
Having started this thread awhile back I haven't checked up on it much since. Enjoyed and appreciate everyone's input. I now have the front seal on gearbox just beginning to seep fluid. Came back from a 260 mile ride couple weeks ago, parked it & moved it few days later. Had oil spot on floor bout size of dime. Great. Called CSC and spoke with Will and he said gearbox would have to be removed and sent to them to replace seal.

Called my nearest CSC dealer (Neihaus in Litchfield Illinois) and they confirmed that it would have to be sent to CSC. Going to keep eye on it and hopefully it doesn't get much worse between now and end of riding season then take it to Neihaus and let them replace with upgrade kit. Their quote was $1600 installed. Or drive 650 miles to CSC and they would do it for roughly $1000. Gas, food, lodging, time I just as well have it done locally by Neihaus who are an excellent authorized CSC dealer and only about 95 miles away.

Just found out from Will @ CSC our Cobra kit was installed on our 2010 1800 Goldwing on 3-14-11.
Then on 6-28-12 it had the weld update kit installed.
The drive shaft has a little play and i am guessing it is by the splines.
What does one have to ask CSC to get the driveshaft kit and i don't know if mine has the transfer case on it or not. For peace of mind i would like to get the changeover kit but don't know what to ask them for.
Appreciate any help on this!

Just found out from Will @ CSC our Cobra kit was installed on our 2010 1800 Goldwing on 3-14-11.
What does one have to ask CSC to get the driveshaft kit and i don't know if mine has the transfer case on it or not. For peace of mind i would like to get the changeover kit but don't know what to ask them for.

Just look under your trike. You will see the gearbox. Bolted directly to back of it will be the diff. I would post a pic but only have my smartphone to take pics and do not have any luck getting them to download on the forum. Gearbox will have an Allen head bolt on front bottom left. Above it will be another Allen head which is the one you fill to when filling thru the fill plug on left side of gearbox.Best I can explain it. Hopefully someone will have a pic or describe it better

Had friend of mine download pic. Heres pic of mine with gearbox. My driveshaft is from Mountain Trikes out of NC. Reason for gearbox is to align shaft straight into rear drivetrain. Its a 1:1 ratio. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• rear gearbox.JPG
    rear gearbox.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Here is differnce between CSC driveshaft and the Mountain Trikes one I have on mine now. Mountain Trikes replaced the rubber donut of CSC with a much better CV joint with a grease zerk. If you get the updated kit from CSC it has much improved driveshaft from theyre old dounut style or welded fix which was a poor way to fix. Once welded in place the shaft has to be cut in order to be removed.

Mountain Trike shaft is top one

Attachments

• csc shaft MT shaft.JPG
    csc shaft MT shaft.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 207
Wondering which way to go. Either with the Mountain Trikes driveshaft or the complete CSC changeover kit.
Being my driveshaft has been welded if i go the Mountain Trikes shaft does it come complete or is it designed to be used with part of the Goldwings driveshaft?

Wondering which way to go. Either with the Mountain Trikes driveshaft or the complete CSC changeover kit.
Being my driveshaft has been welded if i go the Mountain Trikes shaft does it come complete or is it designed to be used with part of the Goldwings driveshaft?

It's $500 and you get complete new driveshaft. Something I will mention on the Mountain Trike shaft you will have to take a sawzall or some kind of cutting tool to cutoff a round nub from old CSC shaft at the front of gearbox. Sounds intimidating but was easy to do if you can get trike up high enough to get under it. I made 10" blocks for all 3 wheels then jacked up rear first then front to place blocks under.

Will told me order update from CSC parts are $500. Then they charge labor for 8 hrs. but takes better part of 2 days and of course you would have to take trike to them. Roughly 1200-1400 for complete update with labor. Any other questions just ask or call. 217-840-2844 or 217-578-2844 is home phone. Be glad to share what I've learned since November

Going to go with the CSC update kit and change out the driveshaft and get rid of the gearbox. A CSC dealer in Rapid City, SD is going to do it for us sometime in April of this year. So if anyone is wanting or needing a gearbox let me know as i will have one for sale.

Going to go with the CSC update kit and change out the driveshaft and get rid of the gearbox. A CSC dealer in Rapid City, SD is going to do it for us sometime in April of this year. So if anyone is wanting or needing a gearbox let me know as i will have one for sale.

Would like to hear how you like upgrade when done. Sent you a pm as well

Brian

Going to be picking up our trike later this week :clapping: as installer has had it done for some time but we weren't able to get it. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Had him also switch our blinkers and tail lights to LED. He said Honda makes a special flasher for this if i understood him right. Also had him wire the top luggage lights so they work as blinkers as well as tail lights too. Had many complaints on bright days from people following us that the blinkers lights were very hard to see in bright daylight. See how that goes and hope it is much better :)!

Well the rear seal on my gearbox has been leaking since I bought trike used last November. Thought I could hold out till this winter to replace but am now adding couple oz. of gear oil every 600 miles. Gradually or rapidly getting worse. Take it to Neihaus Cycles in Litchfield, IL. July 7 for the CSC update driveshaft and removal of the gearbox. Original CSC Kit was installed in 2009. I've called CSC several times with questions always talking with Will about the update, servicing the rear end, ect. He is thorough, very nice to talk with & bery willing to help in any way.

I'm glad to hear some are upgrading their shafts. Their new shaft design is solid with no splined sleeve in the middle. I believe both u-joints are replaceable, and the front one is larger then what they've used in the past. Unfortunately, because the shaft has no splined sleeve, that means it is no compressible and able to be easily remove for an inspection or service. However, a shaft without a splined sleeve should last longer and be more trouble free. I'd bet a new shaft will provide a smoother ride too.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png