Fuel mileage Survey

May 28, 2008
Missouri
I would like to see fuel mileage figures for different trikes. Two-up,loaded pulling a trailer or any other combination.I am mostly interested in dresser type Harley trikes.

I'll kick it off. My trike is a 2007 FLHX (Street Glide) with a DFT conversion. (Pics in my gallery.) Engine is stock with Rush slip-ons and no other mods, no gear change. It's a recent conversion, and I've been logging my mileage to get a baseline. Riding 2-up, I'm averaging 35-37 mpg. That's with about 450 lbs of riders and another 30-50 lbs of gear.

'01 GL1800 w/Champion kit - with full fuel and 5-8 pounds of stuff in the trunk, weighed in at 1220 pounds at a certified scale. Two up adds another 395 pounds - getting an honest 35-36 mpg with conservative throttle application.:)

We recently rolled a 3019 miles trip from Laf, LA to Winchester, VA and back for an GL1800riders.com Trike gathering.

We have an '05 Wing (w/ CSC conversion) and pulled a CSC Escapade (loaded) to and from Winchester.

Going to Winchester (interstates all the way), I rolled on cruise set at 70 mph. That setting gave me 2900 rpm consistently. In tracking the fuel mileage, we got 37 mpg consistently, tank after tank.

Because we elected to install the extra tank at the time of the conversion, we were not required to take breaks at the exits. We utilized the rest areas frequently. That saved us a lot of time, and fighting the traffic in many areas.

On the return trip, I chose to test a higher speed and noticed a significant difference in speed.

On cruise set at 75 (rpm was at about 3,200), I rolled three tanks full of fuel and got 31. We resumed our cruising speed of 70 mph, and achieved 37 mpg for the rest of the trip home. Nope, no back roads this trip, we were on a tight schedule.

Taking our time really paid off with gas prices at $3.899 and up in many areas. The highest we paid was in southwest Virginia at $3.989.

:) :) :)

I would like to see fuel mileage figures for different trikes. Two-up,loaded pulling a trailer or any other combination.I am mostly interested in dresser type Harley trikes.

I typically record from 43 to 49 on the big road traveling at from 75 to 80 mph/GPS corrected, one-up with loaded trunks. 2005 K LT/Hannigan

08 HD Ultra with a Lehman kit. I average about 35. It varies depending on how actively i work the throttle. The best I have gotten is 39 and the worst is 30. Speed makes a huge difference, under 65 and it will always be in the upper 30's, crank on it, 80-90 and it gets in the lower 30's. I have SE pipes, big sucker air cleaner, and HD Stage One download. The stage one setup made the bike run cooler and gave it more power thus using more fuel. I only have 3000 miles on so far.

rocketman

hey bikerbob, I have a 2002 classic with fuel injection, high flow air cleaner, power commander and after market pipes. I average 31 in town and 35 or more on highway depending on wind and speed, usually 65 to 70 mph. This is using shell gas. alway get less with other brands. not sure if this is good or bad but would like to know. would like to hear some more milage results on harleys.

DFT 1500 1997 Wing. best ever 39 MPH ( 45 MPH on back roads 150 miles almost non stop.) Worse 2 up (total people weight is 312 #) pulling a 500# trailer on interstate 65 to 70 mph got 34 MPG. :)

mileage

I have a 97 wing with a 05 motortrike kit...at 55 and loaded with 2 up and trailer....no head wind....31 per gal.......at 65 it drops to 26....speed and head-wind makes all the difference.

fuel mileage

1999 Yamaha 1600cc 1 up Mystery Designs Rear with under sprocket and over tires running 60.s.... 49.5 Mpg
2007 Custom 390CI V8 2 up Automatic. 32Mpg
2003 Yamaha 1100cc shaft, Triwing Trike 53Mpg
2008 CF Moto Automatic Trike, 250cc, BMS rear W/14" rears 78Mpg

08 Harley Ultra Classic with a Lehman Kit. Two up riding at or under 65 mph= 40-42mpg. Two up riding at 70= 36-38, Two up at 75 = 31-33. I agree with that statement that speed makes the biggest difference. I notice that when riding in a group of two wheel bikes mostly Wings and Harleys, that I usually take just a couple of tenths more than they do.

07 Ultra Classic/CSC, absolute best probably around 36, absolute worst 22 running on cruise at 73 into about a 25mph wind, two up, returning from Texas Hill Country between Wichita Falls, TX and Topeka, KS. Stage 2, 103 build. Wind and Speed eat up the fuel.

Dwight

05 ultra with champion,70 to 75 mph it gets about 31 to 33,28 to 30 with a head wind,if you run about 60 it jumps to 36 to 38.The motor has a 95 kit with ness big sucker,andrews gear drive,power commander and rinehart true duals.

Stallion Fuel Milage

I have the Stallion trike and the best milage was 40 mpg at 70 mph. Generally, about 35 mpg and I live in an area of canyons/mountains with deer that attack frequently!

I'm on an 08 GL1800 with CSC trike (including the auxiliary fuel tank). Mine is still in her "break in period" so my fuel mileage is still on the low side.

I am averaging 33mpg. But I do have the same problem on the Trike as I did on the bike as I do in my car as I did when I raced.... SPEED!!

I can't keep off the throttle!!

On trips the cruise is usually set to 85-90mph and in the city I average around 50-60mph so if you can't keep off the throttle, my fuel estimate is for you -

However if you ride like a 'normal' person and sort-a mind the speed limits - your gas mileage will be much closer to the higher mileages listed above.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png