88 blazer trike

I received the package that should have been my thrust washers but they sent me the wrong things. They sent me oil seals by mistake

Did some more work on the forks.

Here I welded the top part of the bottom plate, drilled the holes for the pivot point and cut the down tubes to the right length. (am I saying that correctly are they called down tubes?)

1.jpg

First pass with the cutoff wheel making the rockers

2.jpg

Cut in half now need to weld in the 1 side

3.jpg

welded the side plate on. 1/4" thick. Notice the discoloration. They both warped when I welded them. I had to heat them and flatten them back out again

4.jpg

Side View

5.jpg

Need to drill the hols for the pivot point and the axle and weld in the inserts.

To Hot to work out there anymore today.

making headway....looking good!......I just call them fork tubes. I have heard the term down tubes used to describe the 2 tubes running from the neck tube down and bending rearward to make the engine cradle on a motorcycle. There may be other names for the so called fork tubes?

I received the package that should have been my thrust washers but they sent me the wrong things. They sent me oil seals by mistake

Did some more work on the forks.

Here I welded the top part of the bottom plate, drilled the holes for the pivot point and cut the down tubes to the right length. (am I saying that correctly are they called down tubes?)

View attachment 61256

First pass with the cutoff wheel making the rockers

View attachment 61257

Cut in half now need to weld in the 1 side

View attachment 61258

welded the side plate on. 1/4" thick. Notice the discoloration. They both warped when I welded them. I had to heat them and flatten them back out again

View attachment 61259

Side View

View attachment 61260

Need to drill the hols for the pivot point and the axle and weld in the inserts.

To Hot to work out there anymore today.

silly question...why cut tubing in 1/2 an weld bar ??

The 1/2 tubes are for my Rockers. They will go all the way back behind the tire and around the back.

I do not know the correct name for them but we have been calling them wrap arounds

I did not want to use use the complete 2x2 bar

I could have used something smaller like the 1/2 inch stuff I have but I do not have enough to make the complete wrap around and someone said they used 1/2 for that and it twisted some .

I do plan to weld in some inserts for the Pivot point and axle

I know its a little more heavy duty than I need but I like how its turning out so far.

This coming weekend I hope to have the inserts welded in and the bars mounted with the tires on.

Then I will need to finish the wraparound part and make brackets for the shocks

The 1/2 tubes are for my Rockers. They will go all the way back behind the tire and around the back.

I do not know the correct name for them but we have been calling them wrap arounds

I did not want to use use the complete 2x2 bar

I could have used something smaller like the 1/2 inch stuff I have but I do not have enough to make the complete wrap around and someone said they used 1/2 for that and it twisted some .

I do plan to weld in some inserts for the Pivot point and axle

I know its a little more heavy duty than I need but I like how its turning out so far.

This coming weekend I hope to have the inserts welded in and the bars mounted with the tires on.

Then I will need to finish the wraparound part and make brackets for the shocks

ah.... actually the most "twist resistant" is a pcs of pipe or tubing .. square or rectangle.. a pc of 1" 1/8 wall tube would be plenty strong for a connector.... a pcs of tube cut in 1/2 (channel) is pretty week as is a pc of bar stock but the way u welded then u should be ok basically u made a pc of tubing just not big in on direction :)

Started cutting the notches

1.jpg

Notches cut and reinforced. I welded 1/4 flat bar inside each side of each leg. It goes up 2 inches from the cutout. I welded all the way down the cutout and I reached up and welded inside as best I could. I am thinking of drilling holes in the tubes then weld the inside flat bar to the tube. (If I would have thought of it before hand I would have drilled the holes first)

That makes 7/16 on each side of each leg. If needed I can weld another 1/4 on the outside of each side of each leg.

Once I know I have the notches high enough I will weld up the top holes (sealing off the legs).

2.jpg

Fitted in place but only using PVC as axle spacers for now. I only have enough of the steel spacer left to make them once. So I have to get them right the first time So I am trying to get it correct in PVC first then will cut the steel spacers

The rockers are riding on a bronze Oilite bushing and has a bronze Oilite thrush washer on each side of each rocker

The bolt at the pivot point is a 5/8 grade 8 bolt. Had to buy extra long for the shoulder of the bolt would come all the way through and no threads are in the bushings. I will cut them down later

3.jpg

Do not have it centered yet. Once I have everything in place correctly I will shape the wrap around in back of the tire

4.jpg

Dropped something, bent down picked it up but when I came back up I hit my head on hot steel

Burn.jpg

Coming along nicely...... bummer about the burn. Can't remember all the cuts/bruises/scrapes and burns a person accumulates on these projects but its part of the business. I quess you got some skin in the game already!:D

Steel spacers made to replace the PVC ones

Now need to mount shocks.

Bottom mount will be 1 inch behind axle as you guys suggested

This will be a next weekend job (if I have time)

1.jpg

Steel spacers made to replace the PVC ones

Now need to mount shocks.

Bottom mount will be 1 inch behind axle as you guys suggested

This will be a next weekend job (if I have time)

View attachment 61861

i have found with the weight on the front end the pivot wants to be about an inch below the axle.. i usually make the top and bottom shock mount adjustable top is a pinch clamp bottom several holes.... ironically dont think i have ever changed them from the 1st set up on the purple bike i had used the extra set of holes for a tow bar

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 155
so I lined up my wheel

the square is lined up and you can see the water pattern on the tire where I spun the wheel.

20180926_111955_resized.jpg 20180926_112151_resized.jpg

The wife has family coming this weekend but I am hoping to get the shocks mounts done this weekend also.

I have been thinking a lot about what I want my trike to look like at the end (I know it never really ends)

I dont know if I can pull it off but I am going to try

I have always thought a Train, Truck Trike would look good. Kind if Mad Max type of look but comfortable to ride

I think I have the back Truck end figured out in my head. BUT I am still going over ideas for the front Train looking part.

Its not going to look exactly like a train but kind of have a train vibe

I would like a Cow Catcher type of thing. Again it may not exactly be a cow catcher but I want it to have a same look

I read the VA codes a lot when I was building my Heathen Trike and I know the lighting I want on this trike is not code. I want 4 Rectangle headlights 2 on top of 2, in a box that surrounds all 4.

BUT the last I read the code I can only have 2

With all that said I do not want it to be extremely heavy

worked on the shock mounts today.

Just 1 side and only clamped in place for now.

The bottom mount is adjustable 1 inch forward or 1 inch backward. When I know its correct I weld it in place. I will clamp and tack weld the top until I know they are in the right place

each shock has a 200lb spring rate (400lbs together) So I raised the front up 1 inch from ride height, I am hoping that the weight of the front end will compress the springs 1 inch and back to ride height.

shock1.jpg

I like the locomotive look on front....but would not the locomotive have only 1 large headlight? I suppose it would depend on the era of locomotive you want....I keep hearing Willie Nelson ...City of New Orleans.....some of my best travels..... on the Empire Builder!

I like the locomotive look on front....but would not the locomotive have only 1 large headlight? I suppose it would depend on the era of locomotive you want....I keep hearing Willie Nelson ...City of New Orleans.....some of my best travels..... on the Empire Builder!

I would like 1 large headlight but im trying to keep it legal for the most part. I might get away with 4 headlights groups together to look kinda like 1, but I don't think I could get away with 1 large headlight. For 1 thing the lens would not be DOT approved/

I would love to actually get a old train light. They are extremely expensive and I don't thing it would pass inspection

It's a Trike now

It is finally on 3 wheels.

The front end came out the way I wanted. It is strong and straight.

I only have it tack welded now but it looks good. I will weld up the rest and do the dress-up when i get more time

My phone died so I cant take any pictures but i will once my new phone is setup.

Looking good....you will enjoy the strength and stability of that fork for miles to come.

With front engine definitely the way to go. It's nice to have something major like that, decided and done.

I have been watching your build, mainly because I have to rebuild my front end and I am in that process.

I had thought that the shocks would look better the way you have it set up, but than others who built the leading link style said that the shock needed to be on a slight angle so that you actually formed a triangle with the fork tube, leading link, and the shock.

I say if mounted in the fashion that you did yours, well the shock should react directly with the axle movement, but never built a front end, so what do I know.

My question is, have you been able to see how the shocks work and the leading link movement ?

I like how all looks nice and solid, should be a nice ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png