concrete and and motorcycle tires

OK, I just finished wrapping up my trike for the winter and got to wondering if I should put something between my tires and the concrete floor, what exactly is this supposed to do, for the life of me I can't figure why. Is this some kind of myth or does it really serve a purpose, what can happen if I don't do it? :Shrug:

In 45 years of playing with motorcyles i just park them in the back of my garage on a concrete floor all winter with out any ill effects..The only thing i do for the bike is fill the gas tank to the top [Add Sea Foam] , Plug in my battery tender, And cover the bike with sheets ..:Shrug: My Tri-Glide i just ride it all winter..

You know all I keep thinking about is all those concrete roads we had in Jersey, I can still hear those strips in the road and can almost feel them too. Do you think they did away with them because they found out concrete was no good for tires? ;)

You know all I keep thinking about is all those concrete roads we had in Jersey, I can still hear those strips in the road and can almost feel them too. Do you think they did away with them because they found out concrete was no good for tires? ;)

They got rid of concrete for two reasons, Cost recycled blacktop is cheeper.. And with concrete unlike blacktop you can't let traffic ride on it almost immediately.

I thought about flat spotting also, but does that still happen with modern rubber tires? Even if they did get a flat spot I would think that once you started using the trike again and the tires got hot that maybe the flat spot would correct itself. :Shrug:

Many years ago the compounds tire manufactures used where so much different than today's tires construction. Bias-ply tires where prone to flat spotting and it's still slightly a concern but not much. I wouldn't worry about that unless you were parking it for a year personally. You might get a flat spot but it will go away very quickly. So I just wouldn't worry with the short amount of time your bike will be moth balled.

If you want theres a place in Flatlands Brooklyn NY.
Vinnys Salvage and Flower shop' And if you tell them ''Bob'' sent you they will for the right price gladly set you up with cement tires...:cxtv:

[If you want theres a place in Flatlands Brooklyn NY.
Vinnys Salvage and Flower shop' And if you tell them ''Bob'' sent you they will for the right price gladly set you up with cement tires...
lurking%20smilie.gif
]

I think I'll pass on that offer, but thanks anyway. :laugh:

I kinda think tires would 'flat spot' the same even if they were parked on a wooden floor. If yer that concerned about it, jack your bike up and be done with it.

PC

Flat spots on tires went out with the old nylon bias ply tires of Yore......:Shrug: Now if you have ride-on/ green-slime or some other tire sealant in the tire, then the sealant will sometimes settle to the bottom, And feel like a flat spot till you ride a mile or so...

Your ride you decide, I kept the salt off my tires when I lived in MN, some jack them up and use blocks, I rode some in the snow so I would wash them off best I could

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png