New Michelin front tire

Trikerjim

Tour Master
Feb 12, 2008
Jemison,Alabama
Well, just ordered a new Michelin for the front of my M/T. Really don't have to have it at the moment but will before summer's over. Have 6000 mi. on the original E3 and it seems to be wearing ok (center rib almost gone).Checking around on the web, these must really be catching on, lot of places are on back order...have heard the debate about running the Michelin in reverse rotation or normal, so I called and talked to a rep at Michelin. He confirmed that the wear and performance would be better if it's run reversed. (ONLY on trikes).

Last edited:
new michelin front tire

trikerjim i see you ride a motortrike how do you like it? im having a 2008 goldwing triked out next spring and thinking about a motortrike. i'm going to an open house june 7th if it don't rain or storm to ride a motortrike. this dealer has been installing motortrikes since 1993 and i talked to people who have had their bikes done by him and liked his work. another thing i like is he is only a little over 2 hrs away. when i replace the stock front tire of my trike when i get it will be with a michelin pilot active tire.

Hey John, I really like the M/T. We bought it from a friend of ours after he became unable to ride anymore. It only had 3800 mi. and we got a good deal. I looked at all the brands and for me had pretty much decided on M/T or Roadsmith (Trike Shop). I like the M/T more and more as I'm still finding out little things about it. Hope you get to ride and good luck with making up your mind, it's a tough one with all the great choices....:) Also, if you haven't already, download Georges great service manual on M/T. It will tell and show you quite a bit about them.

http://www.cash-2k.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

Last edited:
Tyre

Trikerjim,
The Michelin tyre you talked about. Are they saying that the wear will be less by turning the rotation back to front?
Is this safe in the wet? I am hoping to change my front on my M/T but was going to opt for the Metzler again. Have you tried this one?
Sorry for all the questions but this rotation thing, can it be done with all trike tyres?
Cheers,
Jake

Hi Wolf, yea that's my understanding. A Bridgestone dealer at our district rally was set up and mounting the Bridgstones the same way. The tread pattern on both looks pretty generic or "even". The rep at Michelin says I should notice much better handling. The Michelin is the Pilot Activ. I think the Bridgestone was one of their "Battleaxe" tires. Both are rear sportbike tires and are bias-ply. I guess we'll find out huh?....:)

Jim, I need a new front tire for my 1500 CSC. So I guess I will have to see what they are suggesting for that. U have any suggestions and where did U buy urs from??

I would go with the Michelin Pilot Activ.
The tire that fits the front of my 05 GW Trike is really a rear for a GW 1500 (2 wheeler).
So, if the tires front tire sizes are the same for the 1500 & 1800 (front) you're in luck.
I love the MPA on the front of my trike. I really noticed a difference the first time out after the new tire. No more shakes, wobbling etc. like the OEM was doing and tracks much better. The bonus is cheaper than OEM and will last much longer.

rear 1500 gw tire

ladytriker i understand that you mounted a gw 1500 rear tire on the front of your 1800 gw trike. did you reverse it or mount it like you would a regular front tire? are you getting better mileage out of that tire? what trike do you have?

I mounted mine in reverse as I read somewhere that the centrifigal forces were different from 2 wheeler. Some type of push/pull thing with the tires.
Some have mounted them the regular way with no problems.

I have never really paid attention to my gas mileage. I just know that at about 250-275 kms. there had better be a gas station close by.
I have gone as much as 302 kms with 1/2 liter of fuel left in the tank. I was driving about 130 kph with some strong headwinds. Very lucky that time that I made it to the gas station. So, I can't really comment if there was any mileage difference.

I have a 05' Lehman GW 1800 trike and my husband has a 01' Lehman Valkyrie trike.

Steve, I ordered mine from Motorcycle Superstore on line. If yo go on there and look up your tire, some will have customer reviews. I got the MPA (130-70-18) Like I told Wolf, if you look at the tread pattern, I can't see any problem for wet roads. Let me know what you find out on your 1500...:) Check quick because they had a good price and FREE shpg...

Last edited:
I put the Macadam 50 ( 130 X80X 18) on the front of my 1500 I understand they are still available , the 70 series is not , again my understanding . it lifted the front about 2" and was like a poor mans rake . Steers easier no hopping is wearing well 14,000 so far.

Trikerjim,
The Michelin tyre you talked about. Are they saying that the wear will be less by turning the rotation back to front?
Is this safe in the wet? I am hoping to change my front on my M/T but was going to opt for the Metzler again. Have you tried this one?
Sorry for all the questions but this rotation thing, can it be done with all trike tyres?
Cheers,
Jake

Hi Wolf,

When your Michelin PA arrives, before you install it, place it next to the tire already on the front of the trike. This will give you the opportunity to compare the rain swipes. With te PA in the front roation you will notice that the PA has the swipes running in the wrong direction (its a rear tires after all).

By placing the PA (in reverse rotation) next to the already mounted tire on the trike, you will notice the swipes run in the same direction. This is one of the main reasons for the reverse rotation installation.

No standard Gold Wing front tire will give you the service and mileage anywhere near the service that the Pilot Activ will provide. Tried & proven many times.....!!!

:)

The tire that fits the front of my 05 GW Trike is really a rear for a GW 1500 (2 wheeler).
So, if the tires front tire sizes are the same for the 1500 & 1800 (front) you're in luck.
I love the MPA on the front of my trike. I really noticed a difference the first time out after the new tire. No more shakes, wobbling etc. like the OEM was doing and tracks much better. The bonus is cheaper than OEM and will last much longer.

I apologize for responding so late.

This information provide to you is in error. The MPA is actually a rear tire for a Sport Bike (Crotch Rocket). It just happens to be in the correct front tire size for an 1800 Gold Wing.

As I recall the 1500 and the 1800 rear tires are a size 16. nowhere near the correct front tire size.

:)

Hi all

Hi All,
I am in the process of getting my 98 1500, triked, with a DFT kit, the only dealer I could find up here in Alaska. I am looking for rims and tires right now, and I was wondering if any out there might suggest what brand and type I should get for the back tires. I think it might not matter, but I thought I would throw the question out there.
P.S.
New to this site so I hope this is going to go out as a general post,,,,

I understand u can still get the Mac 50 in the 80 series tire ( your bike has a 70 ) I put the 80 on my 1500 and I love it it . Made it easier to steer with it being a little taller. ( not for use on a 1800 )

AUWNG, like Harry said , the same Pilot Activ will work on your 1500. As for rears, I have BFG T/A radials on mine. BUT, I too think I would look at Michelins and some of the other "tougher" radials. Living here in Alabama, I don't worry as much as I would riding around in Alaska like you will. I wouldn't skimp too much on tires...:)

Front tire

I just had a MPA put on my trike today in the reverse direction. It may be all in my head but it feels completely different (in a better way) than the tire I had on before. Only time and miles will tell for me for sure. I have 40 PSI in the front and 20 PSI in the rear tires. Hope to get many miles out of this combo!!!

Lady Triker, just a little correction, the 130/70H 18 Pilot Active is a rear tire designed for sport bikes. It is a little too small for the GL1500 rear.:)

My bike is in the middle of it's transformation (CSC Kit) as I speak. It will also get the Pilot Active. If it wasn't the 4th July, it might be ready today. O well, I'm looking at Wednesday.

That's Pilot Activ ( not Active ) be careful I understand that is not the same tire.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png