Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Doc

TOI - New Jersey
Aug 1, 2010
Lehigh Acres, FL
Just curious what all everyone has done for the "Long Hauls", has anyone installed an Auxiliary Fuel Tank? I've been looking at the ones on "TourTank.com and might consider installing a 4.5 or 5 Gal Tank. Just looking for some feedback...I understand there are issues with the EFI Systems and maintaining pressure on the system that must be considered.

Ed

I haven't, but thanks for the link.

Previously, all I've seen were pretty big tanks that looked very difficult to mount. An extra 1.5 gals would help the cause a lot.

If you buy one, please post a review.

On the EFI rides, the auxiliary will drain/pump into the main tank. This is no problem and there are several ways to do it.

I have an aluminum 1.5 gallon go kart tank in my tour pack with an electric fuel pump wired to the ACC switch on the dash. You have to make sure all your connections inside the tour pack are leak free and you vent the tank to the atmosphere. I used AN/JIC fittings and stainless braided hose. I also used a high pressure pump that will empty this little tank into my main tank in 45-seconds. U don't have to get that fancy and a low pressure pump will do. I chose the high pressure in-line pump for the AN fitting capability.

My little tank has kept me out of trouble more than once. 6.5 gallons feels a lot better than 5-gallons at 30-31MPG.

There are manufacturers of auxiliary tanks, but the cost is pretty high and I like to be "inventive"anyway. First thing you have to do is loose the fear of riding in front of a few gallons of gas in case of a rear end collision. But....just consider your privates are already sitting astride 5-or-more gallons anyway.

I made one out of an aluminum beer keg for a guy once that rode a sport bike. Mounted it to the back of his sissy-bar and it really drew a crowd at gas stops.

I got a picture around her somewhere...PM me if you want and I will show you what I did.

There are other ways to carry extra gas, but I like to be able to pump mine in on-the-fly. I have attached a photo of my go-kart 1.5 gallon aluminum tank and pump mounted inside the tour pack.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png