How low is to low

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
How much ground clearance do you have on you trikes?

The one I am building now will have 6" from the oil pan to the ground
I do plan on making a skid plate though

Do I need to figure out a way to get it higher?

My lowest point of the 1800 is 4 inches. Once and awhile I have a problem with an entrance to a gas station or driveway off a state highway where it rains and they've installed a concave curb for water runoff. I have to do a diagonal entry and exit. In my opinion you should have no problem with a 6" clearance.

It's those climb over angles that make things go bump. The longer the wheelbase the more height needed. Jim

I have not figured out what my wheelbase will be yet.
I want more leg room for both me and the Ol'Lady then my other Trike, so that makes it longer

How do you measure wheelbase?
Is it from center back wheel to center front wheel?

I have not figured out what my wheelbase will be yet.
I want more leg room for both me and the Ol'Lady then my other Trike, so that makes it longer

How do you measure wheelbase?
Is it from center back wheel to center front wheel?

You are exactly correct sir....

Clearly, I'm not a wiz at this stuff, but I do know the higher the vehicle the higher center of gravity, which has a lot to do with stability. You don't want to get it too high just as you don't want to get it too low. The variables concerning break-over angles demand you be reasonable such as loading and unloading from a trailer and other normal angles you will be encountering on a regular basis. If you are going to be using for off road riding naturally more height will be necessary, but normal driving is naturally different. The lower ground clearance will benefit you in handling and performance. There is a ton of information on the net that address your concerns.

The wheel base on my 1800 Champion is 75 inches with a 4 inch ground clearance. As I said previously I have a problem with a few situations. One I failed to mention are unusually high speed bumps. I simply avoid such conditions. Here is a link on break-over angles with a calculator that may be helpful. Wish I could be of more help than I have, but my knowledge is limited. What you decide depends on your preferences and how you'll be driving when it is road ready.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/KurtHeckman/Breakover+angle

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png