Back in the saddle again!

Feb 14, 2017
Haslet, TX, USA
First of all, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. Without your opinions and insights I can't imagine how I would have ever come to the decision to buy a Tri-Glide.

As a bit of background, I am a single guy just shy of 70 and still reasonably fit. I walk the golf course a couple of times a week and bowl on a league twice a week. I have ridden motorcycles off and on since I was in the service and most of them were imports. My most recent ride was a 2007 Ultra that I bought new and did a lot of work on myself. But, about a year and a half ago I decided that I had had enough of two wheels and replaced it with a strong running two seater convertible. Now, don't get me wrong, that thing is fun, but it just can't replace riding even with the top down. I really enjoyed taking long trips on the bike. And, hours in the saddle were actually fun for me. I had started mixing in camping some nights when on long trips and that really made for memorable times.

So, in the past few months I got the itch to get another bike. The fact that I still had all my expensive riding gear and other goodies just added to the fire. Initially, I had the Limited in my sights, but as nice as that ride is, it just didn't get rid of my concerns about riding on two wheels, especially as I get older. Then I happened upon this site and I was back in "school" and loving it! The end result is that I am now the proud owner of a 2014, bone stock, sun-glo red and darkened cayenne, Tri-Glide that only had 420 miles on it when I picked it up last Saturday. Not even broken in yet! I spent five minutes driving around the dealer's parking lot that was marked off for an MSF course and then I was on the road. And, in spite of no small amount of anxiety with regard to switching from two wheels to three, I enjoyed every mile of the 40 it took to get home.

It took a few miles to get used to the amount of input you need for steering, especially when going around a 90 degree corner from a stop. I had to unlearn the need for more throttle in those situations. But, after another 50 miles yesterday afternoon and this morning it seems as natural as can be. I just have to baby it a bit since it is still in the break in stage.

The other thing I noticed was how rough the ride was compared to the Ultra. I know a lot has been written about that and was sort of expecting it. But, this was a little surprising. So, I checked the tire pressures and the front was fine at 36 but the rears were at 36 also! Plus, the air shock was only at 11. That's sort of like riding a rigid with a hard rubber tire. I haven't been able to ride it since correcting these two issues because it's raining, but I suspect that things should be greatly improved.

Now the fun starts - Planning trips, buying lots of shiny goodies, getting performance stuff, and making some of the mods that DK Customs offers. And lest I forget, hanging out with all the "really cool people" that ride trikes, both here on this site and on the road!

Thanks Y'all,

Gary

Welcome from Maypearl, TX A true one stop sign town ! :clapping: You will find a rather large TX contingent on the forum. Better yet is the fact that the forum founder has a bricks and mortar store in Conroe, TX. Just a few blocks east of I 45 at the south end of town. I used to pick up and return containers in Haslet. Now that the BNSF has rerouted the team tracks, driving through there is s breeze.

First, Welcome from Kentucky..
sounds like you got a heck of a deal...but if you don't post a picture, it didn't happen! Just kidding of course but do post some pics, we all love looking at each other's bikes!
yeah, it'll take a learning curve but sounds like you're well on your way, easy does it as they say...
im sure you've read about all the stuff we all have added, as for comfort start running about 22 lbs in rear tires, solo about 20 in shocks. Pick a test road that you can repeat passes on, adjust shocks up or down and try another pass, adjust tires and repeat...takes awhile but you'll find that sweet spot and it'll ride good. No trike will ride a smooth as a two wheeler, just the way it is.
As for adding things you didn't mention what came with it, but thinking stock only thing I would add is a drivers backrest, chrome bumper for bike protection and maybe a DK custom lift kit...
then the sky is the limit...handle bars, foot pegs etc....

have fun fun and be safe

The "late nighters unite" thread has a lot of TX board members on it too. Also, if you haven't done so, post up to the new members thread about yourself. I was surprised at the number of tri-glide owners that don't visit the tri-glide thread. Simply the general section of the forum

Welcome from Double Oak, TX. Not too far from you.

I am a lot younger than you (I just became Medicare eligible):Shrug:, but a couple of knee injuries and a now weak knee sent me to the trike last year. I couldn't risk putting my wife on the back and then tipping over at a stop sign.

I have converted a 1987 Electra Glide to a trike and am loving it.

It does take a few hundred miles to get used to cornering (at high or low speeds).

My younger brother (2013 Road Glide) and I are planning trip to Grand Canyon in June. I could not have done this without the conversion to trike, unless I rode a Mo-ped :AGGHH:.

It does exist!!

What a friendly group. I will make sure to add this picture to my profile as soon as I figure out how to do that. Until then, here is "Proof of life"!!

-0yqhOeR6m8c3-MhSbHwNCAGysqAHGgxyp_pzbqKpm_gnQncUHUEMtyzWi7ovExGx--3owun7eYC7uFsPppz7lZqhdNbndwpoRai_HzwpuokbkiMs8aSF1p2jWDdt9HiKvn7V3YjMIn4UM5NmEIeswUzzHjXhisneyAg750hbsacfIiusOQ2NSelVM_nXJA9sErQipYHVEnWmM3mXeWR6ODxQOwAAFs3zTfIrqh7eX6FF9YKM9BX8A70qPjBJjktOaczflqyBUpDAC0jWa6uTgTr5baOpwdvuycOMFD7l5g5XqDHBeKk5AT5mIA1mK_VIH8UMJA0tAXuDLEgIv47py9_6ldLng0nY9O4n-k0ky5yvIJFhfBDpSLwRDM8tcdlrs88L8Ia6lhrOrAyseOkXmr8zU6MGYJwIZQ_RuQ0jPtQlUCclJJCEIICM8Qu5VYZr4y-wALiHqkB8PXh8Z4_iz_zllmCYalwGuKUET_MSceA4AhmAGNvX1qCpobKcUgUUqNFoBR46fwzIo1-ZpBxqC0g0Y2NlI1y4qCbzFG_QdLatCCTiLEm4MeZh30wUVOS-rHw8jFRR_pLSJC5FJ5AAg-gw_2njXGESM1q96wdsTZoCsKt96aM=w2188-h1230-no

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png