Extended Warranties

I purchased a 3 year extended warranty for my ride last fall when I bought it. I'm generally not an extended warranty fan but when I considered all the electronic systems and the overall cost of the bike, since it was out of factory warranty I decided it was worth it for the peace of mind provided. When I looked at replacement cost on just the Boom Box, wanted the added coverage. ThumbUp

I Never had an extended warranty, That said because of the electronic's in my Ram truck for the first time i bought one... My 2011 Tri-Glide i didn't get one, And so far [41+k miles] i didn't need it if i had it.. But if i ever get a new Tri-Glide i will buy it, Because of the newer electronic's ....

Yep, I've got one and it was included in the deal I made. I'm sure it cost me something and was hidden in the deal some where. But it was piece of mind for the next 3 years.

I had one one my 16 Tri but couldnt transfer it to the 17 because of the new engine.I have till Sept 2018 to buy it and more than likely will.

Didn't buy one for the FW. They don't have much for electronics, and I figured if anything happened to the motor then it would just be S&S upgrade time. I did buy 4 extra years for my Charger. Lots of electronics on that, and Dodge has a bad rep there. But it came with a nice gimmick - If I don't use it I get my money back. We'll see how good that works out...

I bought it for my 2014, and it paid for itself. I figured it was a no-brainer when I got the '17 TG, for no other reason than the uncertainty of the M8 engine.

Which Company

I had one one my 16 Tri but couldnt transfer it to the 17 because of the new engine.I have till Sept 2018 to buy it and more than likely will.

Who was your old extended warranty provider? Are all of the companies the same way? In other words, if you get a new bike with a different engine you can't transfer the warranty or get any refund? :confused:

I had one one my 16 Tri but couldnt transfer it to the 17 because of the new engine.I have till Sept 2018 to buy it and more than likely will.[/QUOTE

Who was your old extended warranty provider? Are all of the companies the same way? In other words, if you get a new bike with a different engine you can't transfer the warranty or get any refund? :confused:

Not sure about the others here, but both of mine were the Harley ESP. I too was told that it would not transfer, but I got a refund for the unused portion. Only bad part about it is that HD starts the clock on the day you buy it, even though it really overlaps the normal HD warranty. So, after 2 years, I got about half of it back. Having the ESP helps in other ways, such as the preferential treatment I got when we were in TN to ride last summer, and the bike went completely lights out. Rocky Top HD immediately pulled it in, spent all day working on it to find a broken wire inside the fairing where it got pinched. Six hours of labor, and we were treated like VIPs, got the bike fixed, and $50 out the door.

Having the ESP helps in other ways, such as the preferential treatment I got when we were in TN to ride last summer, and the bike went completely lights out. Rocky Top HD immediately pulled it in, spent all day working on it to find a broken wire inside the fairing where it got pinched. Six hours of labor, and we were treated like VIPs, got the bike fixed, and $50 out the door.

Preferential treatment came into play when my Road King decided not to play nice in New Mexico. They have to provide travel lodging reimbursement if your MC is disabled overnight more than 100 miles from home as well as rental reimbursement if the MC stays overnight so the dealer paid overtime to get me out of there.

Pickup reimbursement helped because my insurance only paid $40.00 so the warranty paid the difference. Luckily it wasn't over the $200.00 allowance.

When I traded my 2003 Road King on my 2007 Road King I did get a check for the remaining warranty on my 2003.

I usually wait until I get the notice from HD that my original 2 year warranty is expiring before I buy an extended. Gives me time to shop around; also, my track record lately is that I don't have it past 2 years:xzqxz:. I have very little will power

I had the extended warranty on my 2009 TriGlide. All of the electronics was the reason. My FLRT doesn't have those items.

The extended warranty is a huge money maker for those selling it. The vast majority of them sold are never used or never come close to even breaking even. It's more like insurance in my way of thinking. Sure do give the Insurance Companies allot of money just in case something happens.

My '09 Triglide ESP paid for itself several times over. Reverse motor x 2, compensator x 2, forward head replacement (after top engine mount pulled out) and complete bottom end rebuild. Only "electronics" thing was multiple radios swapped out. That was over a six year period and 100K miles. I did not hesitate to buy it for my '15.

I've had it on my last 3 bikes. Paid for themselves each time. Am I unlucky or what. :(

All it is, is insurance, just like life or home. If you have the money and want peace of mind = buy it!
Some people have used it (me) and some people have never used it.

If you're handy with tools and know what you're doing = don't buy it.

Simple

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png