Update on Champion IRS Camber Problem

wingking51

Contributing Member
Dec 12, 2009
Friedens, PA
I posted yesterday on the maintenance thread started by Cool -A, "Champion IRS Problem", about a problem that was found by the Honda Dealer that serviced my trike that dealt with severe wheel camber and tire wear on my Champion CRT Trike. The problem is caused by not having zero degree knuckles in the suspension and that causes the severe camber which in turn causes severe tire wear on the inside tread surface of the rear tires.

I sent an email to Champion last night about the problem and contacted the dealer that built my trike today. He knew why I was calling without me telling him. Then this evening, Champion contacted me by phone. This problem is found only in the new independent suspension kits,and it is NOT an issue with the solid axle kit.

The repairs will be covered by Champion as a warranty repair and they said that they would be contacting my dealer by phone on Thursday to get the ball rolling. My dealer told me that Champion is also considering tire replacements in the most severe cases, but that has yet to be confirmed by Champion.

It is my understanding that CRT kits coming out of the factory now have the correct knuckles in and it should no longer be a problem. If you purchased a Champion CRT kit for a GL1800 in 2009 or very early 2010 and you notice the severe camber and tire wear, contact the dealer who built your trike or Champion direct to get it repaired. I am pleased with the response so far from both my dealer and Champion. They are willing to correct the problem and make everything right.:yes:

Thanks for that update! Champion has always tried very hard to take care of their customers! and it is good to hear that your dealer is also following up so thoroughly.

Another issue on something new that was not really ready for the open market yet????
Or were the correct parts not used????
Darn near went w/ Champion IRS 'til I rode a Hannigan!

Middle of last month the trike went back to the shop to have the zero degree knuckles installed. The new knuckles straightened up the wheels to where the entire tire is now touching the road. There should not be any issue with un-even tire wear now. I have ridden over 1500 miles since the change and unless my butt is dreaming, there is a big improvement in both ride and handling over what I thought was pretty good before.:yes:

I think that the new knuckles are the solution to Champions problem on their CRTtrike kit. I want to commend both Champion and my builder New Eagle Trike Shop for their prompt action to correct the problem. I give them both 2 thumbs up!:wtg:

I have been a Champion dealer for years now and the warranty issues I have had could be counted on one hand and those were very minor and resolved instantly. Glad to hear they are on top of the camber issues and have them resolved.

I was not singling out Champion-Sorry after rereading it sure looks that way!
My point was to many companies have the "Rush to Market" mentality and have problems like this.
My Hannigan has a couple items on it that I would consider "No Brainers" but, so far, nothing going on.
1. The trunk needs cargo nets to keep items stored in the sides from ending up in the middle. That would be a simple thing to do. But, my suggestion seems to have fell on deaf ears:no:
2. The forward edges of the foot fairings cover 2 of the front lower cowl mounting screws:rolleyes: That one should have been caught in the original design stages and never seen the light of day as a production part. But alas, it did. I need to adjust my foot warmer doors. The adjusters are behind the horn and the lower cowl must be removed to do this. Now, I need to get the foot fairings out of the way to get the cowl off:no:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png