How well do your rear brakes work?

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
About a week ago a fellow Tri-Glide Rider was talking to me about how his rear brakes did not work very well. Specifically, no matter how hard he pushed on the brake pedal they did very little to slow him down.

He did not believe his rotors or pads were glazed or greasy. It just seemed that he pushed Far harder on the brake pedal than he ever would on a two wheeled bike, and it resulted in very little stopping power.

I have read of others that have had similar complaints.

My experience has been that the rears brakes, while needing substantially more pressure on the pedal to work, have always worked very well.

I suggested that he go 20 miles per hour (on a deserted road) and push on the pedal as hard as he could. This should lock up the back tires. If it didn't, then something was definitely different than what I have experienced on my own Tri-Glides ('11 & '14).

The day after I spoke with him I was riding and decided to do a little test.

(I should have taken pictures, and I may do it again and get photo's)

20 mph, let off on throttle and pushed brake pedal hard....rear tires locked up.

Sped up to 30 mph, let off on throttle and pushed brake pedal hard....rear tires locked up.

Sped up to 40 mph, let off on throttle and pushed brake pedal hard....rear tires locked up.

Sped up to 50 mph, let off on throttle and pushed brake pedal hard....rear tires locked up.

I thought about doing it at 60 mph, but was already smelling all the rubber I had already taken off my tires. :)

Conditions-

Dry asphalt

Straight level road

I did not notice any brake fade, even though I was doing this one right after another. Probably because I was going from no brake to lock up. That would not generate as much heat as the brakes being on lightly for an extended time.

There was no fishtailing, Trike stayed straight while tires locked up.

Coming from two wheels, I primarily use my front brake for slowing/stopping. I only add the rear brake if I need to slow down faster than usual.

Prior to my little test I was happy with my rear brakes on the TG, now I am even happier with them, knowing that I can brake as hard as I want with the rear brakes, even at speed, and they will slow me down as fast as the tire traction will allow.

Kevin

when I took the trike riders course for reduced insurance purposes last yr; I already had 4 yrs on it, anyways one of the new riders had the same concern. I went to far end of lot and when I got down to the other end I locked them down/up. nothing but black marks behind me. made a believer out of him and I think it also made him a little more comfortable.:D

I've found that, since the change-over to EBC Pads on my '13, I can also lock the brakes at most speeds. EBCs seem to perform much better than the stock H-D pads ever did.

Still wish I could get my hands on a set of rear Lyndall pads!

Thanks, Kevin.

The rear brakes on my buddies 09 are not near as good as the ones that were on my 16 or my 17,even after turning the rotors and installing new pads.

The rear brakes on my buddies 09 are not near as good as the ones that were on my 16 or my 17,even after turning the rotors and installing new pads.

Out of the Service Manual:

Disc Brake Thickness

Inspect Brake Disc surface condition. Replace disc if pitted, grooved or scored.

Inspect Brake Disc for excessive wear. Replace disc if thickness is 0.220 inches (5.59mm) or less.

If the rotors are turned too thin, it will diminish the braking capability. Won't stop near as good. Get new rotors. and GOOD pads!

I am sure that many owners of older TGs with low mileage are not aware that their were rotor issues which were finally addressed by this service bulletin.

rotor bulletin 09-13.jpg

I haven't tried the test procedure you did but I can tell you the rear brakes on our 2012 are pretty poor. The pedal is firm but the brakes feel numb and I have to really stand on the pedal to get any real braking action. I inspected the brakes and the rotors are pretty scored. I have on hand new rotors and EBC pads - just waiting for a surge of ambition to get out and change them. We bought this trike used with 12,000 miles on it so the brakes are the way it came and I have no idea how the previous owner drove it. I guess I better get busy and change the brakes.

I have the same problem with my 2010 trike very poor stopping power. I installed new ebc pads replaced dot 4 fluid. Didn't see any changes in stopping power. Open to any ideas as what to do in making brakes work better.

I have the same problem with my 2010 trike very poor stopping power. I installed new ebc pads replaced dot 4 fluid. Didn't see any changes in stopping power. Open to any ideas as what to do in making brakes work better.

Did the same...Sure if you prepare for it... You can stand on the rear brakes and lock the tires... That said in a normal driving situation and the car in front suddenly stops short for no apparent reason, They work as good as the brakes on a 49 Plymouth.

I learned that more so than with any other Trike or Bike.. I always leave more space between me and a vehicle in front...And always/always cover the front brake lever with two fingers when in any kind of traffic ...

Did the same...Sure if you prepare for it... You can stand on the rear brakes and lock the tires... That said in a normal driving situation and the car in front suddenly stops short for no apparent reason,

I learned that more so than with any other Trike or Bike.. I always leave more space between me and a vehicle in front...And always/always cover the front brake lever with two fingers when in any kind of traffic ...

I feel better riding in town with my fingers over the brake lever also.

Never know what the nut in front of you is going to do.

Out of the Service Manual:

Disc Brake Thickness

Inspect Brake Disc surface condition. Replace disc if pitted, grooved or scored.

Inspect Brake Disc for excessive wear. Replace disc if thickness is 0.220 inches (5.59mm) or less.

If the rotors are turned too thin, it will diminish the braking capability. Won't stop near as good. Get new rotors. and GOOD pads!

Rotors were within limits and we used HD pads.

While i had my buddies 09 on the lift we talked about doing the rotor conversion by machining a set of rear ford focus rotors but he wanted to try turning them first.I had my concerns about running a cast iron rotor,but after looking at the Drag catalog they offer cast iron rear rotors that list for $ 119 rather than $ 175 for HD's. so as soon as i can get some time I will be turning a set of cast iron rotors for him.

I had no issues with my '14... stopped quicker and straighter than any 2 wheeler I ever was on. Recently I found out about the stopping power of my '17... I was tooling around, daydreaming (not a wise move) and realized that I was about to miss the turnoff I wanted. I hit the brake pedal and almost instantly was greeted with a 2 wheel tire squeal. I thought someone was about to rearend me until I glanced in the mirrors and realized there was nobody behind me. Scared the crap out of me! Also made me pay more attention!

Brakes

My 14 tri the left side rotor has some rust on it.the right side you can see it is working.Any ideas what is wrong?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png