Cross winds

Mar 29, 2016
Tehachapi, Ca, USA
I thought I would share my experience with cross winds for those of you who have not encountered them. Here in So. California we experience what we call Santa Ana winds where the wind blows in the opposite direction, towards the coast rather than in from the ocean. The winds can be very viscous in the coastal mountains which is where we were on a ride over to the coast. On one stretch of road the wind would blow from our right from an opening in the mountain and then abruptly blow from the left from a cut in the opposite hill side. In the past while on 2 wheels we would get blown towards the cliff side and while counter-steering to avoid going over suddenly be blown into the on-coming lane of traffic! A real white knuckle ride. I'm happy to say the trike stays planted in it's lane. Although we were batted around by the winds tugging at our helmets and jackets and trying to knock us off the trike, the trike itself never budged. I guess the trike's straight line stability that makes it harder to turn at high speeds also keeps it going straight no matter the wind. Maybe you have experienced the same?

While we in Kentucky don't have massive winds, we can get some strong winds at times. Yep, trike is pretty planted most if not all the time. Worst here is the surprise winds, riding along inbetween the " hollers " and come to an opening, then Bam! Wind will blast you hard...just be aware of then and you're fine.

riding across Kansas is the worst we've ever encountered. Blew so hard it blew the cooler cockeyed on the Bushtec....and it was a hot wind, very miserable ride!

I thought I would share my experience with cross winds for those of you who have not encountered them. Here in So. California we experience what we call Santa Ana winds where the wind blows in the opposite direction, towards the coast rather than in from the ocean. The winds can be very viscous in the coastal mountains which is where we were on a ride over to the coast. On one stretch of road the wind would blow from our right from an opening in the mountain and then abruptly blow from the left from a cut in the opposite hill side. In the past while on 2 wheels we would get blown towards the cliff side and while counter-steering to avoid going over suddenly be blown into the on-coming lane of traffic! A real white knuckle ride. I'm happy to say the trike stays planted in it's lane. Although we were batted around by the winds tugging at our helmets and jackets and trying to knock us off the trike, the trike itself never budged. I guess the trike's straight line stability that makes it harder to turn at high speeds also keeps it going straight no matter the wind. Maybe you have experienced the same?

We get some pretty strong winds in our parts, plus we've experienced them while traveling around NA.

I remember once, on the Road King, for 5 hours straight we rode leaned over, quite a bit, just to keep the bike straight in a heavy crosswind.

The Tri-Glide is much nicer, though as you say, the Trike goes straight but strong winds will try and blow you off of it, or your helmet off your head! :)

What I discovered on the TG, in strong winds, I will lean my body into the wind, enough to find that neutral spot where I don't need to fight the wind trying to push me off the seat.

Glad you're enjoying your new ride!

Kevin

Pretty much hve had this trike out in every kind of weather and wind you can imagine. I tell you, if the wind is knocking you off your line, get off the bike...that would have to be a wicked cross wind to move the bike....most likely knock you off the bike before it moves the bike. Me Likey...lol

With approximately 400# more weight on the road, not to mention the extra wheel, the trikes are way more stable in all sorts of stuff ... if you haven'r ridden in snow, you don't know what you're missing ... LOL ... Kevin has posted a few vids of him trucking in the white stuff. I did it once, lots of fun doing doughnuts i my cul-de-sac ...LOL. The only problem was getting the dirt and snow out of all the nooks and crannies under the trike. But still I think everyone should do it once, you'll get a real feel for the stability of your trike.

Uhh, yeah about that Kansas. That's where I live with Toto and Dorthy. Yes, I've had a home blown to the curb by a tornado. But about them cycle winds. One thing that really helped me decide on a trike was the fact the wind made me feel very unsafe at times with my wife as a passenger. Sure, on my own I can lean into the wind and be OK but take that with my wife on back? No way.

Now with the Tri-Glide and wind it's like....What? Me worry? Nah it's no thang.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree and this has been my experience too, but not with the winds of CA. I have experienced strong winds on 2 wheels and have been pushed around. But on the Trike, not so. It has been stable in the strongest of winds. Just another reason I am Free on Three and lovin' it.

I haven't had to try it on the trike, but on a 2 wheeler, I regularly did the flapper: stick out the knee at the side where the wind comes from, and you relax your muscles in your leg, and let your knee flapper about, your motorcycle will ride a perfect straight line. Works like a sail.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png