progressive springs

jim peacock

Contrinuting Member
Apr 21, 2009
greenfield indiana
I have a 96se 1500 with a 06 lehman kit and a four and a half rake kit.
When I had it triked I for got to tell him it had progressive springs in the front.
To say the ride was very harsh would be a understatement,so I took it back to him and told him about the progressive front springs he drained the 15 wt oil out and installed atf. oil.This helprd a lot,but the ride has been still harsher then I like.So I went down to him the other day and asked him about taking the progressive springs out and installing new stock springs.
He said this is the way to go and they are now on order.
He also said he does not recomend progressive springs on any trike kit with a rake kit on them,because no matter what you do most people find the ride to harsh and he has switched out a lot of bikes that have progressive springs back to stock especaly on 1500s.
He also said that progressive springs on a 1500 are great on a 1500 when they are a two wheeler but not when they are triked.
He recomends if you have progressive springs in a 1500 are a 1800 that when you have the bike triked to take the progressive springs out and put in new stock springs.
From what he has observed people are much happer with the ride with stock springs then with the progressive springs on a 1500 and the 1800.
:yes::yes::yes:

THANKS.....I have considered Progressive Springs at a later date. I've ran them in several various 2-wheelers with great success. I have a Super Brace on the way right now.....:wtg:

Jim, I have put Progressive springs in the front of my '09 GL1800 trike
and I can contest to the fact that it has made the front very solid. I
was trying to stop slow speed wobble and putting the springs in did not
help that. The trike place kept my original springs so I not sure I want
to pay for a set and then pay to have them put in.

REAVIS,how many miles where on your bike when you had the progressive springs installed?
If it was low miles I see no problems with putting your orignal back in.
My bike had over 45 thousand miles on it when I had the progressives in stalled,and the 1500s were notouris for the front springs being pretty well shot by that many miles.
My understanding is the 1800 springs are a lot better.

Jim, I have put Progressive springs in the front of my '09 GL1800 trike
and I can contest to the fact that it has made the front very solid. I
was trying to stop slow speed wobble and putting the springs in did not
help that. The trike place kept my original springs so I not sure I want
to pay for a set and then pay to have them put in.

Being as they were your springs to start with they should give them back to you and just charge for the install.

i was told that installing the 1200 springs was the way to go in a trike with a rake kit . with the 4 deg rake i understand the Progressive are not as harsh

Thanks for this...it explains a few things. Namely my front end is pretty stiff as well and I do pick up alot of road feel (cracks, stones, etc)... more than when the bike was on two wheels. I thought that perhaps it was because of the new rake put on it... this confirms my thoughts. Problem is, I also no longer have my original springs. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep riding it as it is.:rolleyes: Chumbly-:cool:

All of you above. I had about 3200 miles on my trike when I put in Progressive shocks. Where I had it done is a somewhat agreed that parts taken off could be used for people that come in down on their luck and can get helped by paying labor only. At this time I feel as though I'm going to leave it the way it is. I have alot invested in the front of my trike. Someday I hope to whip the issue that I'm facing .

Thanks guys for posting this thread. I was seriously contemplating putting the progressive springs in my front forks. I had put a set of Progressive coil over shocks in and love them so I was thinking that they would be great for the front. Just saved myself a few bucks. :wtg:

Thanks guys for posting this thread. I was seriously contemplating putting the progressive springs in my front forks. I had put a set of Progressive coil over shocks in and love them so I was thinking that they would be great for the front. Just saved myself a few bucks. :wtg:

George MORE BEER MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, had the hopes up for that, until Wife informed me she is wanting a new pair of riding boots. And as all us married slobs knows - What Mama Wants, Mama Gets - or be prepared to live in pure misery.

Well.....let me explain, at my House, I'm the..............

...OK, I'm on the same system.............:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png