Tilting Motor Works

Anyone know anything about this new tilting trike, or has anyone here rode one..

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

Lay Leno did a review of it with a test ride, You might find it on U-Tube..Jay Leno's Garage '''

One thing if you don't get the locking feature , You have to use a kickstand when parked and getting off...Leno didn't seem too impressed with the Trike...:Shrug:

tilting motor works

Anyone know anything about this new tilting trike, or has anyone here rode one..

First this conversion is not a true trike in the sense of the word as true trikes do not lean or counter steer - they take a conventional two wheel motorcycle and add a new front end which requires you steer it like a two wheel motorcycle as both front wheels require counter steering and Lean - they actually allow you to push harder and faster into a curve because you have an additional contact patch. They are still developing a tilt lock mechanism which is supposed to lock the front end up like a reverse trike at speeds less than 5 mph(?) so you wouldn't have to put your feet down - as of Feb 2017 it was still not available - it is a 2K option. Cost is about 10 -12K U.S. installed. Notice the kickstand is down in the picture.

Attachments

• bluetilting-motor-works-honda-gold-wing-blue.jpg
    bluetilting-motor-works-honda-gold-wing-blue.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 1,700
I was behind one coming back from Sturgis in '15. That thing was skittering back and forth from one side of the lane to the other for miles, and the road surface wasn't that bad. Pulled in behind the guy at a gas station and walked over to chitchat, and he went on and on about how stable it was. Asked him about the skittering back and forth and he could do nothing but deny it... sorry dude but I drove behind you for an hour or so, and I've been riding for almost 40 years, I know the difference between lane position and skittering.

Awful narrow footprint, too, if you're going to trike at least get a wide footprint (IMHO).

I was behind one coming back from Sturgis in '15. That thing was skittering back and forth from one side of the lane to the other for miles, and the road surface wasn't that bad. Pulled in behind the guy at a gas station and walked over to chitchat, and he went on and on about how stable it was. Asked him about the skittering back and forth and he could do nothing but deny it... sorry dude but I drove behind you for an hour or so, and I've been riding for almost 40 years, I know the difference between lane position and skittering.

Awful narrow footprint, too, if you're going to trike at least get a wide footprint (IMHO).

If i had one, I would want to move around to feel the ride. Is that what He's doing ?What do you mean skittering ? Its allot better than sitting there.Look at 3 wheel leaning scooter's. They are narrow because it leans. I guess we think of a patch of sand, this might help or taking on a racoon at 60+.I also guess loosing a tire comes to mind, but what if it's the rear in a turn on this ?There is no perfect ride. I'm happy to ride my trike with all the animals around and no helmet. I thought the low speed lock was offered for years already. It's pricey for that ha ?

Happy Day

RedOregon said:

I disagree but that's a good thing. The way they have it you might still be able to lane split if you wanted to. I keep hoping that more get built so ALL the bugs are worked out. It's the direction I want to go but I'm just not seeing good sales yet. And I'm too old to be experimenting for them. So it will probably be some form of reverse trike for me unless things start popping. The older crowd is getting bigger daily so if they want sales now is the time.

I rode the TMW Trio

Haste Maker - I visited RocketMoto in Nashua, NH (I live in NJ) and I rode this bike for an hour this past weekend:

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/41774-Ride-a-Tilting-Trike?highlight=Tilting+Motor+Works

Summary: I was impressed, immensely and have put in my $250 deposit on the conversion, I'm that excited.

Details: I'm 52 and am at a point where I get a trike or give up riding. Degenerative disc disease, herniated discs and stupidity on my part have made it painful on my hip & dangerous for me to continue riding. I literally find it VERY difficult to lift my foot off the ground and get them on the floorboards, or vice versa fast enough when I come to or leave a stop light.

Last year I traded in my Electra Glide for a Heritage to get a lighter bike that is easier to handle and with comfortable forward controls - but it's not enough, the pain is still there, getting worse, and this despite physical therapy, steroid injections, etc.

I started looking around, I rode the Harley Tri-Glide and was extremely uncomfortable. that can be fixed ergonomically, but what can't be fixed is the lane drift as you ride. I rode the trike for about 10 miles and it was a battle at low speeds, and a very unsettling lane drift at high speeds.

result: Traditional trike is off the table, sad too as the bike is gorgeous.

I then rode a Can Am Spyder. Modern & cool looking (to me at least). Despite the fact that it feels like cheap plastic everywhere - I started on the RT Limited, but due to my hip problems and the straight down controls, just couldn't even sit on the bike. I then rode the F3 limited, with this trike you can adjust the foot pedals, and I had them at full extension. it's a no go, while I could sit, I couldn't get on and off the bike.

result: can am spyder is off the table, cool looking but just couldn't get comfortable. Despite adjustable foot pegs, my hip problem concerns me relying solely on a foot brake.

I then drove the TMW road king demo they have at RocketMoto in Nashua. I'll start off by saying the road king was uncomfortable for me (they all are, but I love how they look), controls are not forward enough, I don't like the low handle bars, etc., but I got through it.

I was concerned that stopped and/or at low speed it would feel heavy, sluggish, and unstable, NOT SO! When stopped it was very easy to turn the handle bars, and at low speeds, the trike felt more stable than a 2 wheeler as it balanced really well on the 2 front wheels.

I rode this trike for almost an hour at low speeds, I rode on twisty roads, gravel patches, sand covered turns, and major roads and for the first time in a long time I feel like I have a solution.

The trike tracked well, no lane drifting, turns & twisties gave me a confidence I haven't felt in 3 years or more. Stopping power is incredible with much less concern about water, oil patches, gravel or sand in the road or turn. braking when in a turn is also a non-event. Also no lurching when heavy braking to the front of the bike.

I rode every scenario I could think of, at low speeds, country road cruising and up to 65 mph and I was in heaven - it feels like a bike!!! you can't ride 2 in a lane, but I personally never liked that idea much anyway.

Two things I have small concerns about (but I still put down my deposit).

1 - fender rattling when hitting potholes, then again I was aiming for them to test out the bike after a few minutes. I think this will be okay. 2 - adding 100 lbs to the bike makes it that much more to back up, so I'm going to get a Yelvington reverse pulley as well.

Trikes aren't for everyone, and reverse trikes are for maybe even fewer today, but for me, this is the solution that allows me to ride, and I'm thrilled at the thought of being able to get back on again and hit the road.

-Steve.

Haste Maker - I visited RocketMoto in Nashua, NH (I live in NJ) and I rode this bike for an hour this past weekend:

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/41774-Ride-a-Tilting-Trike?highlight=Tilting+Motor+Works

Summary: I was impressed, immensely and have put in my $250 deposit on the conversion, I'm that excited.

Details: I'm 52 and am at a point where I get a trike or give up riding. Degenerative disc disease, herniated discs and stupidity on my part have made it painful on my hip & dangerous for me to continue riding. I literally find it VERY difficult to lift my foot off the ground and get them on the floorboards, or vice versa fast enough when I come to or leave a stop light.

Last year I traded in my Electra Glide for a Heritage to get a lighter bike that is easier to handle and with comfortable forward controls - but it's not enough, the pain is still there, getting worse, and this despite physical therapy, steroid injections, etc.

I started looking around, I rode the Harley Tri-Glide and was extremely uncomfortable. that can be fixed ergonomically, but what can't be fixed is the lane drift as you ride. I rode the trike for about 10 miles and it was a battle at low speeds, and a very unsettling lane drift at high speeds.

result: Traditional trike is off the table, sad too as the bike is gorgeous.

I then rode a Can Am Spyder. Modern & cool looking (to me at least). Despite the fact that it feels like cheap plastic everywhere - I started on the RT Limited, but due to my hip problems and the straight down controls, just couldn't even sit on the bike. I then rode the F3 limited, with this trike you can adjust the foot pedals, and I had them at full extension. it's a no go, while I could sit, I couldn't get on and off the bike.

result: can am spyder is off the table, cool looking but just couldn't get comfortable. Despite adjustable foot pegs, my hip problem concerns me relying solely on a foot brake.

I then drove the TMW road king demo they have at RocketMoto in Nashua. I'll start off by saying the road king was uncomfortable for me (they all are, but I love how they look), controls are not forward enough, I don't like the low handle bars, etc., but I got through it.

I was concerned that stopped and/or at low speed it would feel heavy, sluggish, and unstable, NOT SO! When stopped it was very easy to turn the handle bars, and at low speeds, the trike felt more stable than a 2 wheeler as it balanced really well on the 2 front wheels.

I rode this trike for almost an hour at low speeds, I rode on twisty roads, gravel patches, sand covered turns, and major roads and for the first time in a long time I feel like I have a solution.

The trike tracked well, no lane drifting, turns & twisties gave me a confidence I haven't felt in 3 years or more. Stopping power is incredible with much less concern about water, oil patches, gravel or sand in the road or turn. braking when in a turn is also a non-event. Also no lurching when heavy braking to the front of the bike.

I rode every scenario I could think of, at low speeds, country road cruising and up to 65 mph and I was in heaven - it feels like a bike!!! you can't ride 2 in a lane, but I personally never liked that idea much anyway.

Two things I have small concerns about (but I still put down my deposit).

1 - fender rattling when hitting potholes, then again I was aiming for them to test out the bike after a few minutes. I think this will be okay. 2 - adding 100 lbs to the bike makes it that much more to back up, so I'm going to get a Yelvington reverse pulley as well.

Trikes aren't for everyone, and reverse trikes are for maybe even fewer today, but for me, this is the solution that allows me to ride, and I'm thrilled at the thought of being able to get back on again and hit the road.

-Steve.

Welcome to Trike Talk....Steve....:wave4:From just a little West of you....:)

Welcome aboard Steve Glad you found something you like. Just a note it sounds like the TRI glide was setup wrong. Maybe the rear axle was not aliened correctly. With 22 lbs of rear tire pressure and aliened ( I did it myself when I set the belt tension ) Proper shock pressure for the rider and the TRI tracks just fine.

Hello skyrocketing accident rates! We may see more people get into motorcycling, which is good, but with this type of bike I suspect they're not as likely to take a riders course because they'll feel "safe".

All that aside, I do miss the leaning of our old Electra Glide a lot. But I'm almost 70 and swore off buying any more bikes when I bought the Triglide. (Couse that's the same thing I said when I bought that KZ-400 back in '73.)

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png