Time for Drive Shaft and U-Joints Replacement?

Feb 21, 2016
Crossville, Tn, USA
Looking for advice here from someone with similar experience. I have a previously owned 2003 GL1800 converted in 2009 to a Road Smith trike. Since I bought it I have added over 2,000 miles and it now has 28,000 miles. I've had no prior experience with a trike so ever since I bought it I have had some concerns if I'm getting the ride I should expect from a trike of this age and mileage.

The trike handles fine to me, but the ride seems a little noisy and a vibration in the handlebar sets in at about 65 mph to the degree that my fingers start to ting and go numb. I don't think the tires are out of balance. I keep thinking that my drive shaft and/or u-joints may need replacement. The spline has been lubed but there is some slop in the driveshaft when trying to turn it by hand.

My question is to those who have a trike of similar age and mileage, is it reasonable that the conditions I have described would be due to a faulty u-joint and/or drive shaft? How would I know if either one was needing replacement?

I am far enough away from a Road Smith installer that I am trying to prevent a service/repair trip for a look see if it would be unproductive or unnecessary. I'd be appreciative for any advice.

Since you don't know the history on this bike I would suggest taking it to a dealer. From what I can find on the Roadsmith site you have three full dealers within two hours which is just a pleasant day's ride. This way all of your anxiety will be relieved since no one here has first hand info to work with. Good luck. (I have 57,000 on my RS and no issues with driveline)

1. Cycles & Stuff - Full Dealer 76 miles2283 NW Broad St

Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Open Map of This Location

Phone:

615-893-3600

2. Alvaton Garage - Full Dealer 97 miles

9996 Alvaton Rd

Alvaton, KY 42122

Phone:

270-996-1024

3. Complete Cycle - Full Dealer 107 miles46 Fosters Bend Rd

Rome, GA 30165

Phone:

(706) 331-9783

I have put 60,000 on my 08wing/13Roadsmith. Have not had any problems with it. I would PM or call Roadsmith. They are usually very helpful. If I needed dealer service I would contact KDCYCLES in Altoona,Al. Talk to Kevin Dodd. GOOD LUCK

Looking for advice here from someone with similar experience. I have a previously owned 2003 GL1800 converted in 2009 to a Road Smith trike. Since I bought it I have added over 2,000 miles and it now has 28,000 miles. I've had no prior experience with a trike so ever since I bought it I have had some concerns if I'm getting the ride I should expect from a trike of this age and mileage. The trike handles fine to me, but the ride seems a little noisy and a vibration in the handlebar sets in at about 65 mph to the degree that my fingers start to ting and go numb. I don't think the tires are out of balance. I keep thinking that my drive shaft and/or u-joints may need replacement. The spline has been lubed but there is some slop in the driveshaft when trying to turn it by hand. My question is to those who have a trike of similar age and mileage, is it reasonable that the conditions I have described would be due to a faulty u-joint and/or drive shaft? How would I know if either one was needing replacement? I am far enough away from a Road Smith installer that I am trying to prevent a service/repair trip for a look see if it would be unproductive or unnecessary. I'd be appreciative for any advice.

From what you describe, it sounds like the front tire is cupped. You wouldn't happen to have an MPA on the front or a B/S. A u-joint or drive train issue is usually felt in the derriere.

A friend that I ride with had the exact same problem. Thought it was the front tire. Put a new one didn't do any good then changed rears and that was the problem smoothed right out. BTW he has over 60K on his and the U-joints are fine try the tires first.

If you decide to replace or even have your existing rear tires rebalanced, take a look at this before you do. http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/road_force_balancing

Back when I had my '06 Motor Trike and was searching for ways to reduce vibration issues I stumbled onto Road Force Balancing. Folks it is AMAZING the difference I got in ride quality! I have had this done to every tire I've had since with the same improved ride every time. Several friends have also had it done with the same results. Yes, our trikes don't weigh what a car or truck does but the effect of imperfections is still there and the lack of weight may even allow them to be more pronounced on trikes. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Even though RS has a great drive shaft design, I'm a strong believer in removing and inspecting a drive shaft at least every 24k. And that should be done as PM; however, the probability of your issue being a tire/balance problem is extremely high. Try this ... on a smooth garage floor, put the Wing in 'N', and without the engine running, and while gripping the left handgrip push rearward on LR speaker box. Does your left hand feel any cupping coming from the front tire as you are pushing rearward ??? Also, don't forget that your rear car tires need balance and rotated every 5k.

If you decide to replace or even have your existing rear tires rebalanced, take a look at this before you do. http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/road_force_balancing

Back when I had my '06 Motor Trike and was searching for ways to reduce vibration issues I stumbled onto Road Force Balancing. Folks it is AMAZING the difference I got in ride quality! I have had this done to every tire I've had since with the same improved ride every time. Several friends have also had it done with the same results. Yes, our trikes don't weigh what a car or truck does but the effect of imperfections is still there and the lack of weight may even allow them to be more pronounced on trikes. :xszpv: :xszpv:

My local Chevy dealer uses Road Force balancing. It does make a difference.

A friend that I ride with had the exact same problem. Thought it was the front tire. Put a new one didn't do any good then changed rears and that was the problem smoothed right out. BTW he has over 60K on his and the U-joints are fine try the tires first.

Lots of good ideas and suggestions and I appreciate all the inputs. Front tire is relatively new I think and I don't feel or see any tire cupping, but wondering if rear tires need replacing. Will check this out.

Lots of good ideas and suggestions and I appreciate all the inputs. Front tire is relatively new I think and I don't feel or see any tire cupping, but wondering if rear tires need replacing. Will check this out.

What was the results from the test posted in post #7. Sometimes cupping on a front tire is hard to spot. As for your rear tires, and because hydroplaning is a serious issue with trikes, many trike shops recommend that the rear tires be replaced when 1/2 of the tread is worn off.

I did do the test for cupping and couldn't sense or feel that there was any cupping, but admit I am not sure exactly what exactly I was suppose to feel if there was cupping. My front tire is dated 4614 (meaning 46 week of 2014?). This would mean only 2 1/2 years at most but can't say over how many miles. As far the rears, thread looks at least 1/2 left.

I did do the test for cupping and couldn't sense or feel that there was any cupping, but admit I am not sure exactly what exactly I was suppose to feel if there was cupping.

Then your front tire is probably not cupped. With your left hand on the handle bar as you are pushing back with the right one, your left hand will literally feel an "choppy" up and down feel to it if the front was cupped. It would feel like your Wing is rolling across a wash rack.

I have had the same problem for some time. I replaced the driveshaft and universals and time it with no change. I just took the back tires in and had them balanced with no change, the vibration is still there about 75 mph. still stumped.

Like Mr Dawg said, Ride-On tire balancer. I've had really good luck using it. However, I recently replaced all tires on my trike, I didn't have any Ride-On handy, but the installer had beads.. so I had them installed. So far, a very smooth ride.

Ride-On or beads will adjust to changing tire conditions (except cupping from low air pressure) for the life of the tire. No need to remove & rebalance as maintenance. I like to have the rear tires speed-balanced, then install the beads/Ride-On. Starts smooth, stays smooth.

Some of you will remember way back when I first converted my '06 with the Motor Trike Adventure kit and all the multitude of vibration issues that cropped up. In my search for a fix I researched Dyna Beads. One of the interesting bits of information they provided was this:
One of our questions is: if they work as good as you claim, why not use them in all tires like passenger cars?

Innovative Balancing says “the answer is that the majority of today’s passenger cars use a totally different tire style than what was the norm 15 years ago. Today’s tires are wider, flatter and closer to the rim (lower aspect ration) than older tire styles. This newer style brings a different type of balancing problem to the dealer, that being lateral imbalance.

Also, if you have low-profile tires, that being any tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below, you may have balancing issues that precludes using Dyna Beads as the sole balancing method.

Officially, Innovative Balancing doesn’t advise using Dyna Beads in any tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below unless used in conjunction with weights.

The reason for this is that this tire has a higher incidence of lateral imbalance, which is basically that one side of the tire is heavier than the other side, creating a “wobbling” effect, or “shaking” of the steering wheel. This type of imbalance normally can only be corrected by careful placement of traditional weights on the wheel rim.”

Road Force Balancing is the best procedure to accomplish this weight distribution.

As I said earlier in this thread.... Road Force Balance your tires then add Dyna Beads or Ride-ON. If you don't see an improvement, I will be amazed !!! :xszpv: :xszpv:

I'll preface this by saying I have never used road force balancing. But to listen to Pat Goss explain it (on MotorWeek) an 8# difference was satisfactory... maybe I don't understand him, but how in the hell are you gonna balance an 8# difference? He also stated it wasn't necessary on tires with an aspect ratio of 65 or greater. It may make a difference, like I said, I've never tried it. So far, standard speed balance & Ride-On or beads has been very smooth. My mirrors nor GPS vibrate.. my tell-tales.

Several years ago, I bought a new set of 10 ply tires for my 1ton. I noticed the tech (@ Discount Tire) keep adding weights to one of them. I refused the tire, they said it was normal. I had them dismount the tire & spin the wheel, it was in perfect balance. They installed a different tire, it was ok. Those were Khumho tires... I still will never buy any Khumho tires.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png