Old vet just wants to talk

Feb 21, 2017
Amarillo, Texas
Hello my brothers:

Got in country in June of 1970, and finally ended up assigned to the 165th AHC in Phu Loi. What a miserable place. Ducked mortars, dodged rockets, burned ####, spent nights in the perimeter bunkers, crewed in both doors of the Hueys, and got really good with an M-60. Applied lots of Agent Orange on our revetments, raised walkways, around our hooch's and on the PSP landing strip, as well as the kill zones around and in front of the bunkers.

I worked in several motorcycle shops before getting word that I was on the draft list, so I enlisted. Saw my first SL-350 outside a hanger. It belonged to one of the civilian contractors in the engine shop. It was red and white. When I got home, I started college on the GI bill, and worked in a local Honda/Yamaha dealer called Spinnin' Wheels for 3 years. Sold LOTS of Honda 750s and Yamaha dirt bikes. Great times.

I love all you guys and welcome home:scooter:

Welcome home, Dallas!

If you want to come somewhere to talk, there is a thread called 'Late Nighters---Unite' on the general discussion thread. Not all of us are Nam Vets, but there are a couple on there that are regulars who would probably talk your leg off. It it titled 'late nighters' but over time it has evolved into a 24 hour thread that we go on it to discuss just about anything that comes to mind.

Just leave a post and somebody at some point will answer it. We all go back and 'catch up' daily, and answer posts, and of course check for new folks and welcome them.

So come on over!!

Hello my brothers:

Got in country in June of 1970, and finally ended up assigned to the 165th AHC in Phu Loi. What a miserable place. Ducked mortars, dodged rockets, burned ####, spent nights in the perimeter bunkers, crewed in both doors of the Hueys, and got really good with an M-60. Applied lots of Agent Orange on our revetments, raised walkways, around our hooch's and on the PSP landing strip, as well as the kill zones around and in front of the bunkers.

I worked in several motorcycle shops before getting word that I was on the draft list, so I enlisted. Saw my first SL-350 outside a hanger. It belonged to one of the civilian contractors in the engine shop. It was red and white. When I got home, I started college on the GI bill, and worked in a local Honda/Yamaha dealer called Spinnin' Wheels for 3 years. Sold LOTS of Honda 750s and Yamaha dirt bikes. Great times.

I love all you guys and welcome home:scooter:

I did my time in 66, The whole place was miserable to say the least! The smell of rot it was all over. I was a RTO in a reactionary Platoon did a couple of night drops into hot LZ's. Kinda like a Chinese fire dill but people died . Other wise it was mostly search and destroy Spider holes and snipers, And night ambush's. The only flashbacks I have is the first dead Gook....Got home and Forgotboutit till the last few years!

Welcome Home Dallas,

Been there and done that in 66 / 67. As they say " War is Hell " Vietnam was Hell.

Ask your questions, this is a Great group of people here and a Great forum. Enjoy your ride.

Hope to meet you one day. :wave4:

old Veteran

From one Old Veteran to another >> welcome Home! Lots of Veterans Groups available EXCEPT for the Old Vets in retirement homes, ALF's and the such. Supporting our Heroes should carry on throughout all ages. The Real Forgotten Heroes are those Old Veterans that "live" in those facilities. Personally I'm looking for some ideas on this issue. Of course those "old folks" being Veterans or not are unfortunately forgotten when they're shelved into the "Retirement Living Facility Group!" Looking forward to communicating with anyone who has ideas in this issue. I'm in South Florida >> yep, also know as G-d's Waiting Room! Thanks for sharing my rant!

I can be reached at xhockybro@aol.com :Joker3:

Vets in HOMES

From one Old Veteran to another >> welcome Home! Lots of Veterans Groups available EXCEPT for the Old Vets in retirement homes, ALF's and the such. Supporting our Heroes should carry on throughout all ages. The Real Forgotten Heroes are those Old Veterans that "live" in those facilities. Personally I'm looking for some ideas on this issue. Of course those "old folks" being Veterans or not are unfortunately forgotten when they're shelved into the "Retirement Living Facility Group!" Looking forward to communicating with anyone who has ideas in this issue. I'm in South Florida >> yep, also know as G-d's Waiting Room! Thanks for sharing my rant!

I can be reached at xhockybro@aol.com :Joker3:

You're the BEST, man. Yes, there are veterans in homes and VA centers that still need to be recalled and visited. I do so at the Amarillo Vet Center here. Also, My Masonic brothers assist in these actions. God Bless our Veterans! :angel16:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png