Carrying Extra Gas

Apr 17, 2011
Yuma, Az.
Do any of you carry extra gas on long trips to ensure you don't run out of gas? If you do what type of gas container do you use?

Any help would be appreciated. In the past I have always planed my trips to insure there where places to get gas but a friend of mine who just came over to trike riding due to health issues is concerned because the way he has always ridden was to carry extra gas. I wasn't sure about how safe it would be to put a gas container in the trunk or tour pack.

I tried to search for carrying gas but didn't find what I had hoped.

I have a one gallon plastic can I got when I bought my first Harley. Its made to fit in the saddle bag. U can lay it down anyway and with the lid on the right way it will not leak. (Redi can) or something like it. So far no trouble here in the HOT Las Vegas Nv. area

I carry a gallon and half [5 liter] in the trunk, When i think i might need it on a ride,.Its a red tank that you can get in any auto parts store, Wall-Mart , Auto zone etc ......And if i thought it wasn't safe i would not carry it..

Up in Canada somewhere-

ToDease21_zps21a34bc5.jpg

Up in Canada again. We keep our lunch bag cooler and the 2 gallon gas can on the TP rack.

47%20Althabasca%20Fall%20Dont%20use%20often_zpsbzylzn3w.jpg

There are definitely places that we have traveled where we needed it. I was a bit concerned regarding the weight when we first started using it. But after many thousands of miles, some of them on really rough roads, we've never had a problem.

We do have to be very careful when opening the Tour-Pak with it on there...gotta hold it just partially open.

Some have said it is illegal to carry it that way. We've never had a single problem with LE anywhere.

Some have said it is dangerous...my perspective is that we will have much larger problems if there is an accident so bad that it would break the container open, spill it on us, and then somehow ignite.

There are special containers made to go in saddlebags, trunks, & Tour Paks (see this LINK), but they do not carry enough, plus when we are on a longer trip, I'd rather not take up the space in the trunk or the TP.

Kevin

When I head out west, I always carry an extra gallon. Standard red container. Find one with nozzle inverted inside container. That way it can't break. If you carry it in trunk/saddle bag, don't have clothes in same area. Don't ask me how I learned this. Usually I strap the container to outside rack. Saved my but multiple times. And other people.

I won't say anything bad about carrying extra fuel, but we have traveled across the USA and haven't had an issue yet ( yet being the big word) even Hwy 50 across Nevada, worlds loneliness highway and made it to every town without a problem.

Having said this we have pulled into a gas station via GPS and find it closed or out of business, this may be a problem. We now travel mostly during daylight hours, check into hotel by 6:00 to 7:00 at latest....

I may look into a Redi Can just for piece of mind...

I carry a Rotopax (2 gal.) in my trunk. I never had to use it for myself, but did help out a couple times for others. They of course paid me for the gas, the service was free. By the way they were on 2 wheels. The Redi gas cans for saddlebags are also a good thing to have if on 2 wheels. Check out Rotopax on Amazon.

I carry a Rotopax (2 gal.) in my trunk. I never had to use it for myself, but did help out a couple times for others. They of course paid me for the gas, the service was free. By the way they were on 2 wheels. The Redi gas cans for saddlebags are also a good thing to have if on 2 wheels. Check out Rotopax on Amazon.

+1 on the rotopax 2 gal

Personally I think a 2 gallon or even a 1 gallon container is too big and takes up too much valuable space.

My 2) 30oz bottles are small enough to fit in a corner out of the way. Enough for 16 to 20 miles. That should be enough to get you out of trouble in an emergency......hopefully.

http://www.reda-innovations.com/reda-gas-can

Made for saddlebag storage .... will work fine in the trunk. Carry a good length of syphon tubing as well.

Bob :Dorag:

Have carried a Reda can for a couple 3 years now or ever since they came out. Also carry a 5' bulb sphyon hose I picked up at Harbor Freight. Talked to the engineer from Reda this past year at Sturgis (J&P) and they've changed their filler spout. They got away from that "dump gas all over your bike" EPA spout.

8~\o

Have carried a Reda can for a couple 3 years now or ever since they came out. Also carry a 5' bulb sphyon hose I picked up at Harbor Freight. Talked to the engineer from Reda this past year at Sturgis (J&P) and they've changed their filler spout. They got away from that "dump gas all over your bike" EPA spout.

8~\o

I never had a problem with those EPA spouts, ''The second time'' after the first time i had to use one i just gutted it, So it now works like a spout should...Did that with all of my cans...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png