CV Joint Leaking

Mar 11, 2017
Dickinson Tx
I have a 2008 Roadsmith trike bought just a few months back used from a private party. I have a leak. I jacked up and crawled up under with a flashlight to find a leak from the differential area. I did find the leak, it is the cv joint on left side right where it goes into the rear end.

I suspect that the cv joint seal has gone bad and needs replacing. I have never done a cv joint on even a car before. I'm mechanically inclined, but not in this area.I was wondering if anyone on here has had that same problem and what a trike shop might had charged you to get it repaired.

The trike has 59k miles on it now.

I have been having a differential oil leak for some time. I have cleaned off the differential very thoroughly to find a leak. I finally found it. It is coming out on the left side right where the cv joint goes into differential right past the first fitting. Is there a way to just take off the cv joint, pulling it out to replace a bad seal or o-ring without labor intense removing the rear end?

Not wanting to do that! Is this a defect of that part that Roadsmith can help me with? Please help!

This is not badmouthing any conversion, just looking for friendly input from Roadsmith or the trike rider community. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to T/T, Jim.:clapping:

I'm not able to help on your inquiry however, there are many R/S owners on here who should be able to help you.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to post and introduce yourself over in the "New Member" forum.ThumbUp

Hopefully soon, there will be a few members to help answer your issues relating to your thread posted here.

I did call Roadsmith and talked to Mike Nielson. He was very informative and reassuring. He did walk me thru on how to make the repairs. All seems to be straight forward and not complicating. I will be ordering a new output shaft bearing with the seal. Then after arrival of delivery, attempting the fix myself. Actually looking forward to it if it stops the leak as it should.

Jim - welcome to the world of TRIKES!! Sorry to hear about the differential leak on your "new-to-you" trike. Thankfully, we do have someone close (somewhat) that may be able help you out. This dealer is about 60 miles from Dickinson. If you would rather stay closer to home, any reputable repair shop can perform the repair. I just ask that whoever is going to work on the trike gives us a ring first so we can walk them through the process. That will save them time, and ultimately save you money.

The following is contact information for the Roadsmith dealer roughly 60 miles from you:

Cut-N-Shoot Customs

Conroe, TX

334-648-0157

Randy

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a ring at 800-331-0705.

Thanks!! Jim

I did call Roadsmith and talked to Mike Nielson. He was very informative and reassuring. He did walk me thru on how to make the repairs. All seems to be straight forward and not complicating. I will be ordering a new output shaft bearing with the seal. Then after arrival of delivery, attempting the fix myself. Actually looking forward to it if it stops the leak as it should.

Jim, it's good to hear that you have taken the right steps to get the problem solved with the help of Roadsmith and things are starting to work out.:clap:

If you elect to have the repairs done at the dealer recommended by Roadsmith, then you are in real good hands and will get the job done right.ThumbUp :D

:goodjob: Roadsmith

I have decided to give the repairs a try. I did get the cv joint off & axle out today. It took awhile because i had took make 2 runs took the auto parts for some took ols of mine that has come up mia. I did however discover a broken bearing that goes to the left wheel that will need replacing also. It's the outer side of the cv knuckle. But the splines looks good on the left side differential output shaft. Tomorrow morning I will call Roadsmith & see what my damages will be for parts. Then place the order and wait till UPS delivers. By the way, can anyone tell me if this is a slip differential??? I obviously have a gm rearend.

How did you make out doing the repair?

How hard was it?

Hope it was a success, caring minds would like to know....

In case it happens to one of our trikes

Ronnie

Ronnie, His last post on this subject was almost a year ago and he's not on line right now....Maybe if you click on the like/thanks.... This post, And if he should log on it might get his attention ..:Shrug::Shrug:

Ronnie, His last post on this subject was almost a year ago and he's not on line right now....Maybe if you click on the like/thanks.... This post, And if he should log on it might get his attention ..:Shrug::Shrug:

O' I'm bad didn't realize that - thank you

it's too cold now 22* outside but this spring I will lift my bike up and see what's UP in there, just for my own info and knowledge

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png