Zert Fittings

Sep 25, 2015
Leesburg, FL
Have had my trike now for a year or so. I was thinking it was time for greasing some zert fittings. Bought the grease and gun. Brought it over to a friend that is more mechanically incline then me. He crawled under the bike only to find no zert fittings.

Is he blind or is there some greasing to be done and he just missed the fittings on the kit? Is there any on the Goldwing?

Have had my trike now for a year or so. I was thinking it was time for greasing some zert fittings. Bought the grease and gun. Brought it over to a friend that is more mechanically incline then me. He crawled under the bike only to find no zert fittings.

Is he blind or is there some greasing to be done and he just missed the fittings on the kit? Is there any on the Goldwing?

No, your friend is not blind. We changed to sealed u-joints on our driveshafts several years ago. Why? Because (unlike GWNut) many owners did not grease their joints, or only greased the rear joint (the easy one). Sealed joints are more expensive, less prone to water-intrusion, and are stronger.

Thanks! Jim

YES SIR

No, your friend is not blind. We changed to sealed u-joints on our driveshafts several years ago. Why? Because (unlike GWNut) many owners did not grease their joints, or only greased the rear joint (the easy one). Sealed joints are more expensive, less prone to water-intrusion, and are stronger.

Thanks! Jim

Yes sir you guys have the customer in mind all the time and that's the way too be.

THANKS BIG DENNY:clapping::clapping:

Zert fittings

I have a 2015 RS kit on my 2015 GW and there are fittings on the drive shaft (2)

What's up with this? As posted by Jim at RS, sealed units have been used for several years.

I have a 2015 RS kit on my 2015 GW and there are fittings on the drive shaft (2)

What's up with this? As posted by Jim at RS, sealed units have been used for several years.

(2) zerk fittings? It has to be either 1 or 3. One fitting is on all driveshafts for the slip yoke, which is really not necessary to grease (ask me if questions). Our older model shaft had an additional zerk fitting on each u-joint for a total of 3 fittings . We eliminated the fittings on the u-joints by going with sealed, so not sure how you have only 2 ??

Thanks, Jim

Yes sir you guys have the customer in mind all the time and that's the way too be.

THANKS BIG DENNY:clapping::clapping:

I was at Zook's yesterday.. just kinda droolled at the new RS conversions he has nearly completed, a HD & a 'Wing. Those sure are pretty, and I like the mechanics of the RS IRS.

Ok now I have a question about grease zirks?

I just had my 2010 (wing)converted to a Roadsmith last season.. (I only have maybe 2000 miles it) [2016]

Just before putting bike away for the winter season, I lifted it up and found (2) two grease zirks so I pumped some grease in for the season.. But I'm reading from you that R/S has no zirks.............So my question here is, did my builder place an older conversion kit on my bike instead of a brand new NO ZIRK conversion kit??

Thank you!

Ronnie

I just had my 2010 (wing)converted to a Roadsmith last season.. (I only have maybe 2000 miles it) [2016]

Just before putting bike away for the winter season, I lifted it up and found (2) two grease zirks so I pumped some grease in for the season.. But I'm reading from you that R/S has no zirks.............So my question here is, did my builder place an older conversion kit on my bike instead of a brand new NO ZIRK conversion kit??

Thank you!

Ronnie

Ronnie, my 2015 has those Zerk fittings and I give them a couple pumps each Winter Maintenance cycle. If you pump too much in it will come out a seep hole just in front of the rear U-Joint and make one heck of a mess... :D Personal experience there. Use "Black Molly" grease in there to lube the splines that allow the driveshaft to be collapsed for removal.

I imagine the information you refer to meant there are no Zerk fittings on the U-Joints. That is true. They are suppose to be lube free and must be pretty good because I just finished my winter maintenance; actually removing the driveshaft for it's first inspection since I did the conversion three years ago. Everything was in GREAT condition so I cleaned it up and reassembled then gave those Zerks several shots of grease (none escaped). :xszpv: :xszpv:

Just took a quick look at the newest installation instructions. Zerts are still there....

Last edited:

Thank you!

Ronnie

I doubt your installer/dealer used an older kit. Where are the zerk fittings located? There may be one or even two fittings on the slip-joint (essentially on the shaft itself, not on a u-joint). In a "solid-axle" configuration, the slip-joint allows the shaft to slide in-and-out as the differential moves up and down. This movement is not present in our independent suspension system - the differential doesn't move, just the tires. We use a slip-joint to ease the installation of the driveshaft. The shaft can be collapsed for install/removal.

Feel free to post a picture of the fittings you see and we can confirm my post :D.

Jim

I doubt your installer/dealer used an older kit. Where are the zerk fittings located? There may be one or even two fittings on the slip-joint (essentially on the shaft itself, not on a u-joint). In a "solid-axle" configuration, the slip-joint allows the shaft to slide in-and-out as the differential moves up and down. This movement is not present in our independent suspension system - the differential doesn't move, just the tires. We use a slip-joint to ease the installation of the driveshaft. The shaft can be collapsed for install/removal.

Feel free to post a picture of the fittings you see and we can confirm my post :D.

Jim

Thank you, looks like I'm confusing myself, I'm "thinking" slip joint, u joint, and shaft being the same thing...........Ok now I'm happy, I did shoot up a squirt of grease, into each (2) zirk before putting her away for the winter season..

Thanks for the help!

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png