2017 eitms ?

Nov 19, 2012
Bradenton, FL.
Have 500 miles on my 2017 Tri and it seems to me that the EITMS comes on a lot sooner than any other bike I have owned with FBW. Anyone else see this on there 2017 ? Thanks Doc

Yes I know it is still breaking in but seems to come on to fast to me.

EITMS Parameters

Per HD, these are the following parameter for the 2017 Tri Glide Ultra EITMS:

-Davidson Owner's Manual for Trike Models. In this very small manual I find the following:

"Operation

When engine temperature reaches a predetermined point, the EITMS turns off the rear cylinder fuel injector. The rear cylinder becomes an air pump which works to cool the engine.

EITMS activate (rear cylinder turns off) when all of the following conditions are met:

Ambient temperature or engine temperature exceeds temperature threshold.

Throttle control is at idle.

Vehicle speed under 1 mph (2km/h).

Engine Speed under 1200 rpm.

Note

EITMS does not activate within the first four minutes after starting the vehicle.

EITMS disables (rear cylinder begins firing again) if any one of the following occurs:

Ambient temperature or engine temperature falls below temperature threshold.

Throttle control is above idle.

Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph (3km/h).

Engine speed exceed 1350 rpm.

Clutch is released with vehicle in gear.

Engaging reverse.

When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. Both are normal conditions". Information copied from Page 111 of Operation from the Trike Models, 2017 Harley-Davidson Owner's Manual Copyright 2016

I don't know... the EITMS on both my '14 and '17 TriGlides were set to disable by the dealer when I bought them, and I never tuned them on.:Shrug:

I don't know... the EITMS on both my '14 and '17 TriGlides were set to disable by the dealer when I bought them, and I never tuned them on.:Shrug:

It is so simple to disable. On the pre-2014's, the dealer had to do it. After that, all you do is roll the throttle forward at idle and the cruise control light illuminates yellow and the EITMS is disabled. After thinking about Kevin's comments and not liking the shake, rattle and roll, I turned mine off yesterday before a ride to the beach. It is getting warm here and the ambient temps would make it kick on if I had not disabled it. I have the Love Jug fans so I am no longer overly concerned about engine temps at idle or below 35 mph. At higher speeds, I know that things are still tending to a cook a bit in the engine department.

Mine was also off at time of delivery, I turned it on and leave it on cannot hurt to help keep the rear cylinder cool. Doc

We have a 17 now and I noticed the fans come on a lot sooner than any TG I've had in the past...anyone else?[/QUOTE

I only have 600 miles on mine 2017 takes about 10 mins with 80s ambient Temps, First bike I have owned with a wet head, If that helps you. Doc

My riding buddy and I have only been on Trikes for about 10 months. Soon after we both bought new 16's he traded for his current 17 model. We ride together several times a week.

We are both keeping ours activated right now due to higher temps this spring. Neither one of us has had a wet-head before. I'm not sure if his comes on sooner than mine or not. What we have noticed is that on some rides when we stop and park his fans keep running longer than mine, or there has been times when my fans are not running and his are.

My riding buddy and I have only been on Trikes for about 10 months. Soon after we both bought new 16's he traded for his current 17 model. We ride together several times a week.

We are both keeping ours activated right now due to higher temps this spring. Neither one of us has had a wet-head before. I'm not sure if his comes on sooner than mine or not. What we have noticed is that on some rides when we stop and park his fans keep running longer than mine, or there has been times when my fans are not running and his are.

My fans are on at every shut down and run for about a min. later. Cold they come on within 5 mins its warm here Bradenton. Doc

My fans are on at every shut down and run for about a min. later. Cold they come on within 5 mins its warm here Bradenton. Doc

Mine aren't on at every shut down, or at least I am not hearing them at every shut down. However, most days I will leave the house 3 or 4 different times on the bike and each trip is between 2 miles and 5 miles, just running errands and such. If I make a longer run, say 12 miles or more, or get up on the interstate when the temps are in the 80's or higher, then when I shut down they will run.

Mine aren't on at every shut down, or at least I am not hearing them at every shut down. However, most days I will leave the house 3 or 4 different times on the bike and each trip is between 2 miles and 5 miles, just running errands and such. If I make a longer run, say 12 miles or more, or get up on the interstate when the temps are in the 80's or higher, then when I shut down they will run.

My 2017 does the same after 5- 10 mins or more run time, Its warm and the bike is new I kind of expected it to rum hot. Doc

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png