cork vs rubber valve cover gaskets

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
Time to change my oil and adjust the lifters.

I normally use cork valve cover gaskets but could not find any this time

I have a few sets of rubber gaskets

I can get some cork but have to wait until tomorrow (I wanted to ride tomorrow)

What are better cork or rubber?

I tend to lean toward rubber gaskets simply because I like to adhere them to the valve cover faces and make a valve adjustment really easy. And anymore I am a big proponent of 'really easy'.

That said, I realize that I have 20-30 sets of cork gaskets in my parts stash, but not one rubber set.:confused:

Yep, as Loner stated, the rubber is a much better quality gasket.

Most of the time I can reuse the rubber type 2 or 3 times when doing the oil changes/valve adjustments.

You can put sealant on the valve cover, stick the gasket to it, and it allows it to be easily removed the next time you're doing a valve adjustment and it stays on the valve cover.

I usually only use the rubber gaskets unless I can't find them locally.

I must have never got a good rubber set. Seems each time I tried rubber, they leaked.

Even using new bails, so I am a cork user unless/until they come out with something better...:Shrug:

I like cork so I waited until Advanced auto could get me a set

Still had time to go for a ride with the Ol'Lady

I use my cork 2 or 3 times also

I dont use any sealant and most of the time I dont have any leaks

I have not had good luck with rubber

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png