I broke my Glock!

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
I have been shooting Glocks for over 25 years. Never had one break. They are the most trouble-free firearm I ever owned...until a couple of days ago.

I shot my first mag, dropped it, and went to shoot the next mag and nothing. No trigger. Took me a minute to see what was going on. The trigger spring had broken.

I've owned 13-14 Glocks over the years (currently have 4) and never had a failure, nor have I ever observed anyone else have a problem. So this took me a bit by surprise.

All I've ever done with my Glocks (besides shoot & clean them) is to replace the plastic guide rod assembly with a steel one. Oh, and add a backstrap plug to them.

Did a search and found that they do indeed fail, and that the trigger spring is the most common failure.

I have a Ghost Edge 3.5 trigger kit on the way, along with some other goodies.

Anyone else have Glock failures that you've experienced/observed?

Kevin

I'm retired Law Enforcement and a Glock armorer. We carried Glock 22's & 27's and were a 100 man department. The most common failure we saw were pin failures. Most other issues were a direct result of the failure of the nut behind the trigger and the result of neglect.

Older Glock trigger bars have a straight leg where the spring attaches. Newer trigger bars have a little jog in that leg to relieve stress on the spring. A common failure. NY plastic trigger springs eliminate that entirely.

A 6 lb. trigger spring will help the trigger pull along with your new connector.

I'm retired Law Enforcement and a Glock armorer. We carried Glock 22's & 27's and were a 100 man department. The most common failure we saw were pin failures. Most other issues were a direct result of the failure of the nut behind the trigger and the result of neglect.

This is a 21. Pretty sure it was not the nut behind the trigger. lol :)

Older Glock trigger bars have a straight leg where the spring attaches. Newer trigger bars have a little jog in that leg to relieve stress on the spring. A common failure. NY plastic trigger springs eliminate that entirely.

A 6 lb. trigger spring will help the trigger pull along with your new connector.

Yeah, I just looked up the MFG date. November 1992.

Looking forward to the trigger kit. :)

Kevin

Gun shows around here have a Glock armor set up doing various jobs on customers pistols. I don't know if they have any connection with the company or just someone jumping on a business opportunity. They sure stay busy.

So...I installed the Ghost Edge 3.5 trigger kit. It is a thing of beauty.

BUT, it breaks far too easily for daily carry. Fun to shoot, but not what I want for an EDC.

Since I do not want to practice/target shoot with a different trigger pull than what I may need to use one day, I am going to make some changes.

Then there is the whole liability issue on top of that.

Have not decided yet what to do.

Any and all input/opinions welcomed on how to proceed.

What I am thinking about doing is going back to stock with just a polish job.

TIA

Kevin

Here's my take on it. If you installed the whole Ghost kit, that's really intended for competition setups.

Do NOT use the reduced power striker spring. Possibility of light strikes on a defensive pistol.

Leave the trigger spring and the striker block safety spring.

Put the stock connector back in, polished, along with a polished trigger bar. That will get you where you want to be.

BTW, a 21 is BIG for an EDC. Just sayin'. Be safe out there!

I have a glock 23 and a 27 no issues ever. hundreds of rounds through them on the range. I depend on my Glock and have full faith in it. Stock and dependable

Here's my take on it. If you installed the whole Ghost kit, that's really intended for competition setups.

Do NOT use the reduced power striker spring. Possibility of light strikes on a defensive pistol.

Leave the trigger spring and the striker block safety spring.

Put the stock connector back in, polished, along with a polished trigger bar. That will get you where you want to be.

BTW, a 21 is BIG for an EDC. Just sayin'. Be safe out there!

I think you're right!

21 in the shoulder holster is quite comfortable for me.

I have a glock 23 and a 27 no issues ever. hundreds of rounds through them on the range. I depend on my Glock and have full faith in it. Stock and dependable

ThumbUp

I've put well over 150k rounds thru various Glocks over the years. I ran well over 20k rounds thru one of them, and many others saw 5k-15k rounds each.

This was my first failure...and a relatively minor one. Just surprised me.

Anyway, guess it was time.

I tried quite a few different variations...still going to give the Ghost 3.5 connector and NY trigger combo a go.

But I am back to the stock configuration now, with the 25 cent trigger polish job.

It's a bit smoother, and the same pull and break that I've been used to, and comfortable with, for the last couple of decades.

I'm a happy camper. :)

Now if I only had a range like this to shoot at.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png