Electric antenna

May 18, 2010
Molino, FL for now
Has anyone thought about putting in an electric antenna on either side of the trunk? Other than the initial shock of actually thinking of drilling a hole in the body (probably the right side looking at it from the back) I would think that it might solve the radio reception problem.

Any thoughts?

Dennis

193 dtg Dubai
194 dtg Home (Stallion ordering time)

If you look at the Stallion you see no antenna. I don't believe there is an antenna built into the windshield...all that is serving as an antenna is the wire coiled (or in some cases somewhat uncoiled) in the trunk.

I put one on my Triumph Spitfire (1978) located on the left side of the trunk lid and my reception improved...was just wondering if the same would work on the Stallion. There have been several (a lot of...) posts complaining about the radio reception. If the cable is in the trunk it may explain the uneven reception often mentioned unless you were right under a broadcast antenna somewhere.

Dennis

192 dtg Dubai
193 dtg Home (Stallion ordering time)

Thanks Silverdevil, that is what I was trying to address. Hopefully in the line of turn the Stallion off and the antenna automatically lowers if I remember it right.

Dennis

192 dtg Dubai
193 dtg Home (Stallion ordering time)

since the body is ABS or fiberglass it is a non conductor and non reflector . U should provide a piece of aluminum under the antenna to act as a reflector ( all Goldwings have this ) or purchase one designed for use on a boat. The external antenna even with out this mod should improve you radio 50% or better.

On my plastic 09, there is a factory installed amplified antenna unit mounted right behind the radio.

I just took the coiled wire that goes to it and ran it out under the carpeting bottom and the FM reception was much improved. I would expect that if you moved the amplified module away from the radio it would improve reception also.

I was told by TMS on earlier units, this amp was mounted on the gas tank.

Why not just go to either XM, or Sirius and get get coverage with out any antenna sticking up? All you have is a round disc about 1.5" wide and under .5" high. You could mount it under the dash, or if you have a dash mat, it could be under it.

That is a possible solution Big Dog as I will have the Zumo 665 and will have to deal with XM eventually. I am not all that enthused about the radio part of it (XM) as I use Ipod with the tunes I want to listen to (and there are a lot of them) so I don't really need that but I will need it apparently to get the NEXRAD capability for weather.

Dennis

190 dtg Dubai
191 dtg Home (Stallion ordering time)

Here is what I did since I only could only get 2 stations on mine, where I am at most of the times so I used my truck radio as my reference for my signal.

I went and bought a Marine Antenna, (Designed for boats, I think it was a 15” been too long) I plugged into the radio and placed the little whip antenna up in the wheel well behind the radio. I now get everything the truck radio gets.

And nothing to see and I am now happy with my signals as I travel.

Beno has a good suggestion and it will work. The other option is if you install a CB, get a splitter and tap the radio to the CB ant.

FM radio hooked to CB ant good

CB hooked to FM ant Bad

Just unscrew it to put the cover over.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png