Security Systems

Jul 26, 2016
N Ky USA
What type of security systems are recommended for a trike taking in consideration ease of installation, price, etc. I don't think I'm interested in one of the perimeter devices that goes off if someone walked by but more of a keep your hands off or to that effect. Thanks.

Our security system for the last 6 years has amounted to a front disc lock. But then we live in a really low crime area and try to minimize stays in more risky areas.

PC

security

Our security system for the last 6 years has amounted to a front disc lock. But then we live in a really low crime area and try to minimize stays in more risky areas.

PC

The best security system is really good replacement insurance. If some one really wants your bike they will get it no matter what. Remember a lock only keeps an honest person out. Just my opinion

The best security system is really good replacement insurance. If some one really wants your bike they will get it no matter what. Remember a lock only keeps an honest person out. Just my opinion

I remember a guy when I was in tech school that had a super nice 66 mustang.He had several anti theft devices on it.Alarm&steering wheel removal setup.Someone disabled the alarm,moved the car and left him a note saying if we want it we'll get it.

This ! I can roll my trike all over the place and never set off the factory alarm. It came with the trike .............. Sadly.

We all know the drill about if they want it they will get it.........BUT there is also and old saying about out running a charging bear. You don't have to be the fastest guy in the group you just want to make sure you're not the slowest. THUS if my trike is parked next to yours Im hoping mine will take a little longer and the perp will make a little more noise. In other words look at the situation and decide the trike sitting beside mine would be the easier.

When I travel, aside from making sure the trunk and tour pack are secured, I use a disc brake lock and the fork lock. I also try to park under the overhead canopy for the front entrance. I have gone so far as to offer the night clerk a sawbuck for the privilege.

Sounds like the best advise to me!
icon14.png

Now that I tow a trailer that might be enough to deter many thieves. They may not want to mess around with that cumbersome amount of iron. Separating the ball from the hitch will be no easy job.

PC

Now I understand. The honest guy is not going to steal your trike and you can't stop a dishonest person.

I suppose you fellows feel it's a waste of time to take the key out of the ignition?

Gorilla Alarm system

I had a Gorilla Alarm system on my old bike hooked to my battery, if anyone touched it it would sound a very loud piercing sound, I'm going to see about getting one for my trike when I get it back

The wisest thing I heard was from a friend of mine who was a state trooper, he said to make sure it took more than 90 seconds to be able to move the bike and a thief would not mess with it. Saying that, i use a lock on the front disk and a piece of chain on a rear wheel going up around the passenger footrest. Then I cover the bike with my storage cover. Seeing the external view of locks and NOT knowing what else is under the cover has served me well.

Oh, and when I am parking during the day at restaurants and shopping places, the empty holster mounted to the handlebars also serves as a deterrent!!!!:hunter:

Now I understand. The honest guy is not going to steal your trike and you can't stop a dishonest person.

I suppose you fellows feel it's a waste of time to take the key out of the ignition?

With my Victory... I never take the key out....I cut the head of the key off, Welded a large nut to it, Painted it black...No one knows its there...Besides who would want to steal a Victory.....:laugh:

The wisest thing I heard was from a friend of mine who was a state trooper, he said to make sure it took more than 90 seconds to be able to move the bike and a thief would not mess with it. Saying that, i use a lock on the front disk and a piece of chain on a rear wheel going up around the passenger footrest. Then I cover the bike with my storage cover. Seeing the external view of locks and NOT knowing what else is under the cover has served me well.

Oh, and when I am parking during the day at restaurants and shopping places, the empty holster mounted to the handlebars also serves as a deterrent!!!!:hunter:

Love the last sentence, maybe you could let me know what type of holster you use

I just rely on the factory alarm and the fact that my trike weighs about 400 pounds more than my Ultra did. Leaving a holster on the bike made me chuckle, but being a retired Trooper myself my holsters are a little too expensive to take a chance with. Besides, some of the idiots I dealt with might think the empty holdter meant the owner locked the gun in the trunk and pry that open looking for it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png