Clutch Change

Sep 12, 2010
Monongahela,PA USA
Anyone here ever put a clutch in a 1500 with a trike kit on it?
I have been given many different scenarios from "Let the dealer do it" to "its easy, do it yourself"
I have heard the motor has to come out but the manual doesn't show that.
I have heard you have to drill the staked nut or risk re-threading or replacing the main shaft.
A Honda mechanic told me he has only replaced 1 in his career and wouldn't want to do it again.
My kit installer said there is plenty of room, do it yourself.
I have heard you need special tools and have seen them made on other sites.
I would really like to get a good honest answer from someone who has done the job. I am a mechanic so tools except for "honda specialty tools" are not a problem.
First I am going to change the fluids and ck the M/C to make sure the ports are not plugged and if they aren't, I will be changing or having the clutch changed.
Thanks in advance for the info

While I have never worked on the honda engine my advice is find some one who has changed the clutch out on a honda trike.
You may be mechanly inclined and have the tools to do it being it is a trike you could get in over your head real easy.

Changed out the fluids and engine oil and cleaned the ports in the clutch master cyl today, feels a little better but still disengages with only a slight pull on the lever I am not sure I like the feel of that. I will have to try another bike soon and compare.

You need a special tool. You can do it without motor removal (I saw it done ) there is some kind of a clamp thing that is needed ) U must get trike about 2 feet off the ground . NOT AN EASY JOB. If u can find someone that has done it , I would . Also it took a trained Honda man 3 hours to do it. Easier on a trike than when it was a bike I was told by him .

JMLY, I overhauled the clutch in my 1500 about 20,000 miles ago. Made all the special tools needed.. It is a time consuming job...The Honda service manual is pretty straight forward as far a the how to is concerned. You must get the trike high enough to work on it, it for sure must be high enough so the you can get a breaker bar and torque wrench to clear the floor as these tools must be in a verticle down position to use them.. I have a platform lift and it worked great. I left the rear wheels on the ground and had the front wheel up on the lift. Ran the lift up which put the trike on a 45 degree, which made ample room to work and get the tools in..

jmly, wanted to answer more of your questions.. It was only 98/99/2000 models that used the staked nut..Prior years used a holder lock type gadget to keep the nut from backing out. Mine was staked so I caerfully chizeled at the stake until I was confortable I could get it off without main shaft damage.. I friend of mine who was for years the head mechanic for a local Honda dealer told me it was not nesessary that I should have just backed it off , that the nut is softer than the main shaft and will do no damage to the threads?????????????You only need (2) special tools, one a I made from metal (clutch holder) the other from PVC thick wall pipe ( used to compress the clutch pack for disemblely) compressed the clutch pack in a press, but sure it can be done with a larger size vise..If I can be of any help advise.

Thanks TC for the information, I still am at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to change the clutch as of yet because since I changed out the fluid it has gotten a bit better. it grabs just a bit off the grip but my problem is it disengages with the slightest pressure on the handle but it doesn't slip so I don't know what to do yet.:confused:

By any chance did you change to a different oil. a friend of mine saw oil on sale and bought it. it had the HI mileage additive in ( antifriction ) there is a small green gear on the can/bottle. That made his clutch slip and he finally had to replace it.

By any chance did you change to a different oil. a friend of mine saw oil on sale and bought it. it had the HI mileage additive in ( antifriction ) there is a small green gear on the can/bottle. That made his clutch slip and he finally had to replace it.

This is one of the differences in "Motorcycle/Wet Clutch/Lube the Trans also" specific Oils. Most Motorcycle Companies that sell Their own branded Oils have Friction Additives for the Clutch Packs, and Cling Additives for the Transmissions added into Their formulas.....not needed in Automotive Uses......:wtg:

That is the problem, unlike Harley , Honda uses the same oil for clutch and engine . .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png