Neutral Rattle

Dec 19, 2016
Hornsby, Tn, USA
Recently my 16 Triglide developed a rattle or knock around the transmission side of the trike. I happened to notice it when leaving it running while dismounting to open the garage door. Decided to pay my dealer a visit. After riding it approximately 92 miles to the dealer I first verified that it was making the noise. Left it running and the service advisor immediately came out and verified the noise. He asked me to pull the clutch lever in, and the noise disappeared. Neutral rattle or knock, he advised me. I asked what was needed to repair. "It's normal, no repair". He then showed me a TSB from Mother verifying this. No explanation about why it showed up at approximately 9600 miles. The TSB was very technical, over my head. So, I'll just keep on keeping on!

What oil is in your transmission? Many of us here use a dedicated transmission gear oil ..... some use motor oil. I personally use Bel-Ray 85W-140 in my 2014 transmission. There are many other brands of gear oil to pick from. All IMO are much better than using motor oil.

Bob :Dorag:

Since I don't want to have to wrangle with Harley over warranty issues and the suitability of oils, I use HD Formula+ which Harley labels as designed for Transmission & Primary Chaincase applications. I too am not too keen on using Syn3 for the tranny or the primary. OTOH, since Mother Harley says it is OK, then in terms of warranty hassles, that product also would negate any warranty challenges. Seems like the variability among HD transmissions suggest there might be some intermittent issues and I personally just don't want to have to go round and round on a warranty issue. If my trike did not have the warranty and ESP, I am with others that there seem to be some very excellent transmission/primary chaincase lubricants that might be more effective than HD's?

Not sure what you mean on the Transmission side being the transmission is behind the engine. But if you are talking about the primary side try grabbing the shift linkage and seeing if that might be the noise. If it is it you can loosen the clamp on the shift blade that attaches to the shaft that the shift petals also attach to. Push the leaver tighter in on the shaft it should cut the rattling down. If that is not the issue then sorry I can not help

Not sure what you mean on the Transmission side being the transmission is behind the engine. But if you are talking about the primary side try grabbing the shift linkage and seeing if that might be the noise. If it is it you can loosen the clamp on the shift blade that attaches to the shaft that the shift petals also attach to. Push the leaver tighter in on the shaft it should cut the rattling down. If that is not the issue then sorry I can not help

Mine was lose, Don't know if it was rattling, And even if it was i wouldn't hear it, But it was shaking a lot, What i did was pull the Allen bolt out, and instead of trying to tighten the old one i replaced it with a new one...

I use Formula Plus - noise is on right side of bike. No fix according to the Harley Technical Service Bulletin. I owned a Ford-Mercury dealership for 22 years and hated receiving Technical Service Bulletins- felt like the manufacturer was acknowledging a problem and covering it up by stating it was normal. My question to HD is why it occurred after 9K plus miles?? Thanks for the replies.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png